Compatible I2S source devices

Hi Lou, it looks like this: Raspberry Pi (with RoPiee) --> USB cable --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> HDMI cable --> DS DAC

I am still thinking about the ifi iGalvanic 3.0 or a ISO Regen to place between the Pi and the Matrix X-SPDIF2.

Mario

Got ya, that makes sense. I have posted to the Allo engineers as they are working on plans for an I2S differential driver (via a hat for the Raspberry Pi 2) that will output i2s over HDMI. Not sure yet on timelines or if it will be compatible with what the DS wants to see. But ideally I want to bypass USB all together and go direct via I2s. So far via BNC connector SPDIF it sounds pretty special, I have a linear supply coming which should also make additional improvements… We will see… Ive been comparing via Ethernet direct into the BII with ROCK server. I have a dedicated switch running on isolated power with a linear power supply, and I think right now the SPDIF connection is the equal of the BII. Once the Pi 2 is powered via a nice linear supply, it may out-perform the BII. I think ultimate end-game would be to do the connection via HDMI I2S as it has potential for lowest jitter.

this is very interesting, i am trying to beat bridge2 (connected via optical transceivers) for some time and the best i got was with my friend’s rpi3 with custom ultra-minimal OS + Allo DigiOne + linear PSU + EMI shielding over whole rpi+hat (connected via coax to DS Dac) - SQ was on part with my B2. His rpi minimal OS can do only upnp so we were testing upnp.

I would like to get at least the same SQ as with b2 / that rpi setup with upnp, but with Roon so i am very curious about your results - please keep us posted :slight_smile:

I still have two unused Audio GD HDMI output modules in drawer, so ideally i would like to use them to connect rpi with DS Dac an play roon this way if i could get this SQ…

maniac said

this is very interesting, i am trying to beat bridge2 (connected via optical transceivers) for some time and the best i got was with my friend’s rpi3 with custom ultra-minimal OS + Allo DigiOne + linear PSU + EMI shielding over whole rpi+hat (connected via coax to DS Dac) - SQ was on part with my B2. His rpi minimal OS can do only upnp so we were testing upnp.

I would like to get at least the same SQ as with b2 / that rpi setup with upnp, but with Roon so i am very curious about your results - please keep us posted :slight_smile:

I still have two unused Audio GD HDMI output modules in drawer, so ideally i would like to use them to connect rpi with DS Dac an play roon this way if i could get this SQ…

Don’t Allo already have a Pi based streamer that outputs I2S via HDMI? I think it was called the Kali or something. I thought someone else posted that it doesn’t work with the DS

yes kali would be ideal, however i also red that it’s not working properly with DS, thus i would need to look for other hat :confused:

They are working on a Kali that will output differential i2s on HDMI. As far as I know it isn’t available yet. That said I suppose if one knew what they were doing a Kali could be modified by adding a differential driver and HDMI output since the Kali does relock an i2s signal. You are right, this is very exciting and I hope that whatever Allo creates will be compatible with DS DAC. The first DAC that they are testing with will be the audio-gd.

Very interesting thanks for the tip. That would save the extra board to transform the I2S signal into LVDS. I hope that product sees the light one day soon! If it’s compatible with Audio-Gd it will be the same wiring of the hdmi cable as Ps Audio. Now let’s hope the signal meets the criteria for the DS! Last time I tested a Kali it wasn’t terrible, so I returned it. Maybe by now they fixed the problem, with driver updates or a new version of the board… Audiophonics is selling an hdmi streamer with the kali board and HDMI output, I suppose it’s properly tested if they sell it…

Hmmm I didn’t know about the Audiophonics I will check it out thanks

RASPTOUCH LVDS - STREAMER I2S HDMI AUDIO-GD COMPATIBLE IIS

RoPiee does support the screen.

And there is still this Mano streamer

As Andrew one of the mods from Roon forum wrote: ‘Although expensive for a Pi, it’s low compared to other Ethernet/I2S solutions.’

Mano thread

Guys, please use “Add Reply” using the button on the top and bottom of every page. Do not use “quote” when all you are doing is responding to the last post in the thread. I appreciate there should be an “add reply” button at the top of each post next to the “quote” button to make this easier.

I just cleaned up the mess of quotes, nested quotes, and double quotes (if you need to quote, be patient and let the quote appear, do not hit the quote button twice, and edit the quote to include only what is necessary).

Thanks!

Very interesting… Thanks @holzohr Will need to do some research see what people think. The Nano is pricey but the rasptouch lvds is not bad.

Holzohr said

RoPiee does support the screen.

yup, not sure if this would be audiophile usecase (quite high current fluctuations from the display itself), but just last weekend i have got this 7" touch display and SmartiPi angle adjustable case arrived just today. I am using it with rpi2 and IQAudio DigiAmp+ in my mans cave with Dynauidio Audience42 speakers :)

I have subjective feeling that adding the display in the game sucked out bass a bit, but don’t care too much as this is for background listening during work from home only…

Some pics are here

It looks nice! I use a Lenovo Yoga 3-8 for the ‘Now playing’ screen. It is its only job.

The Mano Music Streamer looks pretty cool… could be one of the best roon-end points out there (and I2S to boot)… I just may be tempted…

And the I2S from the Mano is compatible with the Stellar GCDAC? If so then I may get one too! Does anyone know? I looked through someone’s I2S spreadsheet (very cool spreadsheet by the way to whom ever did that, lots of work put into it), but I didn’t see the Stellar Gain Cell DAC/PreAmp listed.

If they use the HDMI connector and follow PS Audio’s published format for I2S transmission (we invented it) then it certainly will. Check with the manufacturer.

From their website:

Fully reclocked I2S over HDMI output PS Audio / Audio-GD / Holo Audio compatible

I know that some companies using i2s over HDMI have the left and right channels swapped. I would contact them first to be sure that it’s fully compatible with PS Audio equipment.

I haven’t read all of this thread, has the Sonore ultraDigital been mentioned?

Features

• 1. SPDIF output via BNC: PCM 44.1K-192K, DSD64 via DOP
  • 2. LVDS i2s output via HDMI: PCM 44.1K-384K, native DSD64, DSD128, DSD256
  • 3. USB input support PCM, DSD via DoP, and native DSD via Linux
  • 4. No drivers needed for Linux and OS X
  • 5. Power input: 6-9 VDC
  • 6. Selectable LVDS i2s output formats via HDMI: Gustard, PS Audio, Holo Audio, L.K.S., Wyred4Sound
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/ultradigital-usb-to-spdif-and-lvds-i2s-converter?variant=1238811639823

Has anyone tried one of these?

Any expert opinions on the merits of such a device?

It’s been talked about before. However, in my opinion, using such a device to get I²S to your DAC is kind of pointless because to get the audio to that device it needs to be converted to a transport format (to use the USB input). The whole point of using I²S should be that you never have to convert to another format thus avoiding potential conversion errors and unfortunately the Sonore device forces that to happen.