Config for MQA, Roon, Bridge II, DS DAC

So I’m still a bit confounded by all the various threads on MQA. I can’t for the life of me find the recommended configuration for using Roon MQA with the Bridge II. I’m guessing this is partly because we’re still waiting for an official re-release of new Bridge II firmware, but it’s really not apparent.

I’d really love to see an FAQ or (at least) just a response here that tells us how Roon should be configured (including noting which settings might vary based on listening taste or other equipment in the chain).

I should note that I manually installed Bridge II firmware version 3.6.2 from http://updates.psaudio.com/BridgeII/BetaBridge/.

Specifically, here’s how I’ve got Roon set up now with my DirectStream DAC and Bridge II:

• DSP Engine: Disabled
  • MQA Capabilities: Decoder and Renderer
  • Volume Control: Fixed [not relevant to this discussion, I trust]
  • Max Sample Rate: Up to 192
  • Max Bits per Sample: 24
  • Zone Grouping Delay [not relevant for this discussion]
  • Clock Master Priority: 1 (Highest) [I’m totally guessing whether this matter and have no idea!]
  • Enable MQA Decoder: No [but as far as I can tell, this doesn’t matter?]
  • Multichannel Mixing: Downmix As needed

Any guidance from anyone here as to what’s best?

Also, would any of these recommendations be different when using Roon’s grouped playback to multiple devices?

Lastly, what’s the difference if the DS displays “MQA” vs “MQA.” on its display? It’s my understanding that “MQA.” essentially confirms that maximum unfolding is actually being done.

”Further confusing the matter is the fact that there appear to be two types of MQA file: MQA and MQA Studio.

In actuality, there’s not much difference between the two; the distinction is there merely to indicate the “provenance” of the file: a regular MQA file (denoted by a green indicator or display text) is guaranteed to match the source material when played back on a device with an MQA decoder; an MQA Studio file (denoted by a blue indicator or display text) is the same – but has also been approved in the studio by the artist or producer, or verified by the copyright owner.

So in that way, MQA Studio could be seen as the “director’s cut” of musical recordings.”

2 Likes