So I’m still a bit confounded by all the various threads on MQA. I can’t for the life of me find the recommended configuration for using Roon MQA with the Bridge II. I’m guessing this is partly because we’re still waiting for an official re-release of new Bridge II firmware, but it’s really not apparent.
I’d really love to see an FAQ or (at least) just a response here that tells us how Roon should be configured (including noting which settings might vary based on listening taste or other equipment in the chain).
I should note that I manually installed Bridge II firmware version 3.6.2 from http://updates.psaudio.com/BridgeII/BetaBridge/.
Specifically, here’s how I’ve got Roon set up now with my DirectStream DAC and Bridge II:
- DSP Engine: Disabled
- MQA Capabilities: Decoder and Renderer
- Volume Control: Fixed [not relevant to this discussion, I trust]
- Max Sample Rate: Up to 192
- Max Bits per Sample: 24
- Zone Grouping Delay [not relevant for this discussion]
- Clock Master Priority: 1 (Highest) [I’m totally guessing whether this matter and have no idea!]
- Enable MQA Decoder: No [but as far as I can tell, this doesn’t matter?]
- Multichannel Mixing: Downmix As needed
Any guidance from anyone here as to what’s best?
Also, would any of these recommendations be different when using Roon’s grouped playback to multiple devices?
Lastly, what’s the difference if the DS displays “MQA” vs “MQA.” on its display? It’s my understanding that “MQA.” essentially confirms that maximum unfolding is actually being done.