Connect CD player to Sprout

I just got a Sprout! At this moment I’m listening to music from my iPhone via Bluetooth! My question is: How do I connect my old CD player (Denon DCD-620) to my Sprout? Currently it is connected to an equally old amplifier/receiver by two (red, and white) plug-in cables. Thanks.

If your Denon has a coax digital output jack I would use that so the CD player would just act as a transport and the Sprout’s DAC would do the digital to analog conversion. You would need to buy a digital cable. Otherwise you need either an RCA to stereo mini-jack converter or a cable that has a stereo mini jack on one end (to plug into the Sprout’s analog-in jack) and RCA jacks on the other (like you are using now).

stevem2 said

If your Denon has a coax digital output jack I would use that so the CD player would just act as a transport and the Sprout’s DAC would do the digital to analog conversion. You would need to buy a digital cable. Otherwise you need either an RCA to stereo mini-jack converter or a cable that has a stereo mini jack on one end (to plug into the Sprout’s analog-in jack) and RCA jacks on the other (like you are using now).

Thank you! I shall get that stereo-mini-jack-to-RCA-jacks cable that you suggest (my Denon doesn’t have a coax digital output jack).

Cool, but I’m a bit surprised the Denon doesn’t have a coax digital out (it would typically be a single RCA jack). They are pretty common. If it instead has a Toslink optical jack, another option would be to get a Toslink-to-coax converter.

I just found a picture of the back of the player and it doesn’t appear to have any digital outs. The RCA to stereo mini-jack cable (or a regular cable and an adapter) is the way to go.

I took a look too, the Denon must have been the entry level model.

cvansiclen, do you have a DVD or a Blu-ray player? Both usually play CDs, see if one of them has a coax output, or when budget allows get yourself a new or used CD player that has the coax output. I think you would be very pleasantly surprised how much better it will sound.

Depending on where you live, you can often find a local store that sells used CDs and LPs. They might have a small section of used gear. Take a CD and earbuds or headphones with the larger plug adaptor. Often the lower priced units had a headphone output, that way you can make sure it works, especially if you go to a thrift shop. Or ask them to hook it up to their system. I have never been in a second hand CD or LP shop that doesn’t play music. If not just verify that you can return it. Look for a unit with the digital coax output. Actually Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, or Sony are all good choices. Depending on the type of store and model, you should belooking at around $50. Order a digital cable online, an entry level Audioquest or Mogami would be a good starting point. Also check out Craigs list, but if you buy privately, have them play it for you. If they won’t do that pass on it, unless you are wílling to take a chance.

These days you can find some very good deals. If you let us know where you are located, one of us should know where there is a budget shop.

An inexpensive CD player used as a transport wiil sound much better than your old Denon. I guaranty it.