Crossover Tweaking

Tweaking the tweeter corner frequency on my beloved Richard Allen Pavanes.
1972 vintage :slight_smile:
Not my main speakers but a labour of love for over 30 years nonetheless.

2 Likes

I’m in the process of doing the same on my Tannoy Westminster’s. I am using all Duelund CAST Silver and Graphite resistors, Mundorf copper foil inductors, and Miflex KPCU capacitors.

Is that the stock crossover in your pic or the upgraded?

2 Likes

Will you change the cables?

It is this year’s crossover variant, version 3 :wink:
(I have the original crossover in a box but it is a very simple affair with cheap (and of course old) components).
I’d love to replace all the wires, but have resisted the urge so far - those drivers are nearly 50 years old and re-soldering the lugs risks damaging the spider.
I have done the woofer with heavier gauge (red and black in the pic) but I’ve left the others alone.

2 Likes

Yet another crossover variant for my beloved Pavanes :slight_smile:
Soldered up, I’ll install them after a few more hours sleep…

2 Likes

Looking good… Your usual highest standard of workmanship…

Are you still changing the internal wiring with the Siltech Emperor Crown cables I posted down to you!

2 Likes

I have home built speakers from 1975, Kef Kit 3s in Bailey-style transmission line enclosures. About 4 years ago it was apparent that the crossover capacitors had aged. Instead of re-capping I bought new Radford crossovers from Falcon Acoustics (cost more than the original speakers - inflation is a wonderful thing), did some rewiring and fitted better binding posts. It is the only time I have experienced something resembling a night & day change.

2 Likes

I did the same thing.

I overhauled my elderly LS3/5a speakers a few years back. I picked up a pair of new old stock Kef B110 – SP1003 drivers at a HiFi/Audio bazaar on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I bought the rest of the parts from Falcon Acoustics. Last year I overhauled my MK1 Linn Kans that I bought new in 1981 - and once again I bought from Falcon - changed the whole caboodle bar the cabinets… Massive improvement to sound quality in both instances!

2 Likes

Ha - nice thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are a joy to work on, factory assembled I think (though shoddily, they are a late period 1972 pair).
Richard Allen made a lot of kits though, some very similar to the Pavanes.
The drivers are all “natural” materials, that are still fine, unlike a lot of slightly later “old British Speakers”, where the rubber and/or foam used doesn’t last well…

I’ve heard a few pairs of the KEF kits over the years, some of them sounded wonderful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

These ones are pretty good. Because the TL cabinets are so large, and strong, I have them on their sides in alcoves with squab cushions so that they double as window seats. Not good for stereo imaging or treble, but it is the only way I can get away with big speakers in a small Georgian sitting room. The ‘TV table and equipment rack’ is a 16th century monk’s stool. Needless to say I have taken the all-in-one route!

3 Likes

They sound most excellent - I’d love to come across a pair of something similar, but alas I think all such bargains and “discoveries” are long gone (and I don’t get out of the house so unlikely to stumble across a pair).
My wife would think that a good thing though :smiley:
(she puts up with it, and actually encourages me sometimes to go for it, I think she secretly likes that there is a cool hifi in the back room, even though she moans about “that damn hifi I can’t even turn on”.
I’ve offered to train her in its usage but she refused, mostly so she could continue to moan I suspect!)

2 Likes