DAC->preamp->poweramp

Do I have to set output of DAC as high as possible for example 97% and regulate final volume with preamp.

Or set DAC volume low(er) for example 50% and turn up preamp halfway.

To get the preamp working more up to it’s potential.

It depends a great deal on the particular preamp, The DS is much less sensitive to volume settings.

I suggest starting with the DS to at least 60% and then listening with the preamp set to your preferred listening loudness. Then try increasing the volume of the DS and comparing.

Many preamps have a volume setting sweet spot, often at unity gain.

Hello Elk,

Thank you for your reaction.

Does the 'musical info" the DAC puts out varies with volume?

In other words: does one squeeze out all necessary info with a lower DAC volume.

And could this result in a more worse signal for the preamp to amplify?

Does this make any sense at all??

I just lowered the DAC output, and went up with the volume of the pre amp and it sounds better… I think/or not… Just imagination?

I did not yet upgraded to DSD - this may take another while.

My preamp is a Krell 222.

vsopking said Does the 'musical info" the DAC puts out varies with volume?

In other words: does one squeeze out all necessary info with a lower DAC volume.

It depends on the DAC. I was assuming you had a DirectStream, although you did not say this. :slight_smile:

The DirectStream does not throw away musical information to produce lower volume. Some other DACs do.

But theory does not really matter. Experiment and determine what you like best. Whatever you come up with is the correct answer. :slight_smile: