DSD as digital pre volume setting

If this has been talked please don’t shoot me as I just couldn’t find it here in the forum.

I have a pair mono-block for audition beside my integrated, DSD senior into mono-block directly. The amp is single ended 40wpc. To get my normal integrated SPL I crank DSD volume to 80-90. Does this mean the amp is not powerful enough for my speaker, as it seams to use a preamp to volume to almost max?

Hi @delillotelfer

1. Quite a few people who use preamplifiers, set the DSD to anything between 88 and 92. Some others set the throttle higher than that.
  2. I suggest you install NOISH app and measure your normal listening level with you integrated vs. your mono-blocks.
    NIOSH Sound Level Meter App | NIOSH | CDC
    If your device is Android based, there are other apps.
    Good luck.

Thx Serhan, I’ll try later to confirm. I believe I’d be 85db.
Mine is DSD into mono block directly, no preamp. That’s why I’m concerned.

Apologies! For some reason, I felt you were upgrading from an integrated to a a couple of monoblocs!

Anyway, the app has additional info including safe listening levels / time, which could be used as a general guide.

This has nothing to do with power output rating.
The sensitivity of the amplifier determines how loud it plays.
Anyway, you’re in good shape.
80 to 90 on the DSD puts it at good position for output level driving a power amplifier directly.

Like you, I’m driving my stereo power amp directly from the DS DAC with volume setting between 50 -70 and the speaker was an inefficient design as people used to mention about the Magico speakers. But in my case I found that @70 setting, the SPL is more than moderate listening level.

It sounds like you have the output attenuator set to low which reduces the volume. Please check your settings.

If you can get the output level you want with the volume at somewhere like 80-90, you’re in the PERFECT spot. Don’t change a thing. Enjoy the music :slight_smile:

Explanation: the DS DAC has a fixed noise floor that does not get quieter as you reduce the volume from 100. Only the music gets quieter, which means details get lost below the noise floor as the volume is reduced. There are also some quirks with the way some audio tracks have to be handled at volumes greater than 92. So playing at 92 is ideal for sound quality, and living in the 80-90 zone without a pre-amp means you’ve got a perfect combination of amp gain and speaker sensitivity for this DAC.