DAC recommendations?

@alexreusch, 100% agree! You’re not going to get a better DAC than what you pay for a used DSS. And getting a reasonably cheap streamer is better than paying for the bridge II

2 Likes

If you have something to trade-in against the DSD, depending what it is, I’ll likely be able to get you darn close in order to fit the budget budget. Feel free to shoot me an email jamesh@psaudio.com and

No. I should have mentioned that in first place.

I heard it in my friend’s place for a reasonable period. And I did not like the kind of sound it produced. More digital like than the engaging analog like sound of DSS. Reminded me more like my old Naim nDac which I upgraded to DSS from in 2014. Though nDac’s sound was much better.

Auralic does not support real home demo. They ask 10% restocking free. The first impression was not worth to stake 10% of money to get a home demo unit.

Regards,
Sourav

Jim, I would be happy to sell you my DS Sr DAC.

Don’t know where you live but in the US you can get 30 day free return privileges at multiple place like Crutchfield, Music Direct and Audio Advisor so for the cost of shipping you can try it in your system and not just listen in a completely different one. Auralic and Lumin have trouble keeping up with demand so no need for home trials or discounts. Also you need to consider that you get a far superior streaming component and a more than capable DAC for less than half the list price of the DS Sr./Bridge II combo. The fact that you personally prefer the sound of one over the other does not inherently make one better just different and the OP is not you either. The suggestions that Steven, myself and others have made fit his needs and price structure and the DS Sr./Bridge II combo does not and even if Jamesh can work some magic the Bridge II will still be the weak link. I don’t consider a used and discontinued DS Jr. to be a candidate as the streamer is the same.

1 Like

@dawkinsj I completely agree with you on your comment 'The fact that you personally prefer the sound of one over the other does not inherently make one better just different and the OP is not you either. ".

But in the same light “Also you need to consider that you get a far superior streaming component and a more than capable DAC for less than half the list price of the DS Sr./Bridge II combo.” - this is your personal preference/opinion that Auralic Dac is a more than capable DAC.

Now, when it is about listing all possible dac/streamer combos possible (in our experience) in $3k price range one should not discount Naim ND5 X2. It is a very good dac+streamer with lots of capabilities at $3.5k usd if one likes Naim’s house of sound.

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

Wow! This is a serious development in my question to the group. I just sent you a message.

Jim, please send me a PM & I will make you a good deal ony DS Sr DAC with Wisdon installed.

I just sent you a message with my email address and phone number included. Jim

Has anyone compared the PSA DS DAC to the Aesthetix Romulus? I am curious.