dCS Bartok and DS Sr

Sorry, what I meant is that the Bartok does increase it significantly more than the DSS, and in fact my Mytek Manhattan II. I can mitigate it by using the USB input instead of ethernet, choosing the sharper filters, the DSD upsampling option (although it is lossy), and using an external tube headphone amp. But there is still a bit of an aggressive character that comes through.

One conclusion I can draw is that 1 bit DSD is actually a lot better for my tinnitus than multibit/5 bit conversion.

4 Likes

Well, that’s a good thing, for me at least. Takes the Bartok off my “list”, not that I had a “list”, but good info just the same. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s a really good DAC, so worth at least listening to. But kind of upfront and uncompromising compared to softer, smoother, warmer DACs.

3 Likes

If you’re going to bail on the Bartok I might be interested in trialing it and taking it off your hands. Been thinking about it for a while.

1 Like

Interesting you mention the MyTek as I tried it and found it harsh in my system. I guess I should also take the Bartok off my future auction list.

You’re not the first person to comment that dCS can be a bit analytical/uncompromising tho.

The Mytek is pretty forward, high output, and a bit harsh in the midrange. It is balanced out by the headphone amp a little, which I actually like a lot. I keep it for professional use.

The Bartok doesn’t have that midrange harshness, but it’s more the treble that I struggle with, and the austere power of the sound. When I go back to my DSS+MZ3 combo, there is more distortion in the midrange, but the treble is so much easier to listen to. For me, true 1 bit DSD just sounds right in the high frequencies, softer, smoother, more effortless. The pain threshold is a lot higher.

… Has anyone heard the Mola Mola Tambaqui?

1 Like

John Darko just published a comparison between the Mola Mola Tambaqui and the dCS Bartok. I liked his comments.

I am seriously looking at the Mola Mola Makua, that has the option to add the same electronics of the Tambaqui (less interfaces though) but it also offers the optional superb phono stage, yet all with balanced connections. Also for the Turntable phono input.

Have to add that the PW SACD Transport and Octave Server May convince me to go with the PS Audio DAC.

I saw that comparison. I actually find the Bartok a bit bright as it is, so more presence or brightness could be too much, but the comments about bigger soundstage and more energetic, fluid, presentation sound very encouraging.

I think digital inputs are a really overlooked part of this comparison. The Mola Mola ethernet input is Roon only, and with the Makua you lose the I2S inputs, but gain an analog volume control instead. In this case, optimized ethernet via Roon and an audiophile switch will be the best input, whereas on the Tambaqui it could be that or I2S.

I still have the Bartok and recently got an Uptone EtherRegen, which is in the early stages of burning in. So far I can say that 90% of the sonic issues I had with the Bartok came from the ethernet input, and much of the rest had to with cables that were too bright (silver) and rack mounting. In any case you use ethernet, you have to get an EtherRegen or similar type switch, and decent ethernet cables.

I envy anybody who has the chance to do an extensive comparison between these two DACs, but if there is one thing I can draw from my experience with the Bartok and digital inputs: Until you have a really high quality and low noise digital input, it’s hard to get a true sense of the character of clean/analytical DACs like this.

Now that I am honing in on the Bartok at its best, I can see that things one might like or dislike about it are more like emotional responses to the character of its presentation. The Bartok has this kind of psychedelic colorfulness, and ability to bring out patterns in motion and rhythm, swooping dynamics, etc. but it is really absent any romance, sentimentality or color that might be pleasing to some listeners. It doesn’t have a comforting sense of body, weight, or smoothness, although nothing is lacking in proportion.

I find at this level of resolution, I kind of want some kind of grounding “analog” flavor or warmth because it is so revealing. My sense is the Mola Mola DACs are probably somewhat similar, but in a faster and more lively manner. That energized presentation might make up for the lack “analog” character.

And for what its worth: The Bartok headphone amp really isn’t my favorite so far. I’m still using an Audeze The King and LTA MZ3. For anybody who is into headphones and looking at DACs in this price range, there are better external HP amps so I would choose by the DAC itself.

5 Likes

A fun read. Thanks!

The Holo Springs May DAC recently reviewed in Stereophile by JA and another writer seems to be a winner and is a two box affair with a separate power supply and two programable I2S inputs. Loaded it is $4998. It has four different operational modes.

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/holo-audio-may-dac/

1 Like

I’d be happy owning either of these. The attraction of the Mola Mala Makua is indeed of other nature than SQ. Any DAC compared with the BARTOC must be a good DAC. The Makua offers 5 analog RCA and balanced inputs that can all be routed through an optional internal phono pre amp. You can connect any high end turntable with balanced or RCA interconnects to it.

Regarding head phone amp, it offers 2 pair of balanced outputs that allows for any head phone amp to be connected, for those who enjoy head-fi a lot.

So an integrated pre amp with DAC/streamer that is compared to the BARTOC is a great option.

Hook it up to an Innuos Zenith MKIII or Statement Server via a Atlas Mavros Ethernet interconnect.

It is an excellent digital and analog chain with the minimum of boxes and interconnects in high sound quality.

Interesting Thread. I’m considering an in house A/B of the Bartok and the Sr. Many things have changed in my system the past couple years- but never the PSA DAC. I understand that the Bartok may be “better” and for the price, it should be. I suspect it will be different but “better” in my system and for me is TBD. Wish that Obsidian or whatever Ted is working on was out there to try. If it indeed is still a thing?

@roninaudio please keep us informed.

PS Audio has introduced 2 big arguments to stay with the DS DAC SR. The Perfect Wave SACD Transport and Octave server. They both offer DSD and PCM high resolution via I2S to the DS DAC, a complete digital solution.

I expect that PS Audio will rather work on an update of the DS DAC (new Perfect Wave DAC) than introduce a hyper high end line:

• user interface of the DS DAC JR, matching the BHK Pre and new above mentioned Perfect Wave sources
  • improved electronics (perhaps the same or derived from version the Obsidian development)
  • double XLR input to provide a compatible double XLR interface for the same above mentioned sources
  • no bridge Interface to free up budget and space for the obsidian (derived) technology

Just my assumption based on the current developments.

I do not expect that PS Audio wishes to remain on a ranking behind the least expensive dCS and the Mola Mola.

1 Like

What current developments do you mean?

I did an inhouse a/b demo/comparision of bartok vs ds sr. In my system bartok was slightly better but not impressive in its price point. The soundstage I observed in bartok is very similar to Darko’s latest comment.

Then I did the same with Rossini. And it was a different story altogether. But so the price point is.

To me ds sr is still to me much more engaging, musical, versatile in its price point as well as probably at double price point. Have not heard Mola Mola though - but it is not as versatile in its inpurpt support like DS Sr and Bartok.

But surely a good idea to compare them in ur system. U may find it to be rewarding. Surely from input versatility perspective Bartok is second to none.

Regards,
Sourav

Thanks for the input folks. I think PSA strong points are the DACs with the Jr possibly being the best product I have seen if we are talking performance and value. Do I expect the Bartok to be better than my Sr.- probably. Do I expect it to be thousands of dollars better- probably not. It is being touted as an upgrade but that is nebulous at best.

The introduction of the Octave Server / Streamer and Perfect Wave SACD and the silence around Obsidian. With the change in human interface and the introduction of the double XLR interface for higher resolution files the current Direct Stream needs a face lift and I/O reconsideration.

The DAC is one of the core products of PS Audio, if PS Audio wants to keep it that way it needs regular updates. Like Canon and Nikon update the 70-200 mm f2.8 Zoom work horse most of all their products.

As you can see in this thread, DSDAC owners start looking around for competitive products that become more and more available.

1 Like

Rudolf…All true without a doubt. But with all the talk of a TSS dac from Ted Smith and PSA over the recent past I just can’t believe a sota dac is not forthcoming. Maybe Paul can jump in to comment about your thoughts…

Perhaps both then.