Decware. The Best Amp Ever? Andrew Robinson Seems To Think So

Well, yeah - got them for “pretty” with the amp. But I do love me a Chicken Head, in an old Studio Rat, vintage gear way.

Will admit that part of the appeal of this studio monitor controller was the 3x-sized “Neve” knob in the middle.

for reference, the little grey knobs are roughly ‘normal’ size. Chicken Heads stick out fore and aft more.

Gothca. The thin but stiff look should have clued me in regarding the Iconoclast RCAs. BTW I went with chicken head for a more retro look.

1 Like

Chicken Heads are bitchin’ lookin, and as local lad Calord just mentioned to me in a text, you can tell where they’re pointed from across the room.

2 Likes

Thanks, interesting, the brand is not well known in Europe, at least not to me.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is rather quirky, from their build list I get the impression they do have a small European and Asian market. Predominately a USA market. I get the notion that the draw has been value and quality sound. I’d say from what I hear from the SE84UFO that it is significantly underpriced. It’s comical as to how they power up my speakers, Gradient Revolutions at 83 dB. I would say only an idiot would use a 2.3 WPC RMS SET on those speakers. Needless to say new speakers are coming and the Gradients are for sale.

It’s amazing what they will power though–you don’t need 100db and up efficient speakers for them. My multidriver HR-1 are 92.5db effficient and I can’t listen to the SE84UFO3 about 3 watt per channel Monoblocks more than 2/3 volume. Just glorious sound. I’ve been a bit more satisfied personally in my more than two decade Decware journey with the lower powered amps–just a magic to their sound.

1 Like

Fun!

I’d say, once you find your sweet spot, you won’t be twisting your knobs much.

1 Like

That’s what She said.

(substitute they of choice)

3 Likes

If only I had a Ladder DAC.:man_shrugging:t2:

Wait - think that’s what I’m using. Decade or two old tech.

If you want to borrow a pair of vintage Klipsch speakers (97 dB 1W 1m) to try let me know. Just sitting in the garage at the moment.

I am truly surprised that that little amp would power my Gradients to any sort of listenable level. At least for the time being I get a taste of the amplifier’s sound. After trying various speakers I landed on the Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Voxativ AC PiFe Classic. The speakers are being built and a delivery date is pending. You could say I am all-in.

Pure Audio Project Trio 15

2 Likes

Nope. Could/would never buy speakers with a name that long. I would have to tattoo it on my hand in case somebody asks me what speakers I have.

4 Likes

turn off the lights

1 Like

glorious

Sounds like a song, “Turn Off the Lights”

I’m writing that right now

I love the glow of tubes in a dark room. A friend has a Cary amp with 12 or 14 tubes. What a light show.

Tuurrn oooffff the Liiiights!!!