Digital Lens technology with Gain Cell DAC....

I noticed that the Gain Cell DAC uses Digital Lens technology.

Does that mean I would not need, nor benefit, from utilizing something like the iFi IPurifier2? IFi Purifier2

Thanks, Gene Z.

Good question. I’ll bet it might still help. Anytime you can clean up the incoming jitter so it never gets into the grounds or supplies, the better off you are likely to be. But, I have never tried it.

After going through this process I would go about things differently knowing how my system sounds with different tweaks. In order of priority I would place:

(1) Use a high quality program for music playback such as Audirvana or Bit Perfect. Roon is suitable but not as high SQ. Jriver is excellent for windows, although Audirvana is coming soon to Win. If you are using Tidal app or iTunes you are really tying the SGCD’s arms behind its back.

(2) The SGCD sounds significantly better to my ears with PCM -> DSD128 conversion in Audirvana and Roon. I highly suggest you try this.

(3) Now worry about USB. Keep in mind what you power these devices with has a HUGE impact on how they sound. Take for instance the iFi Purifier, you would be using an SMPS (iFi Power) to power it with really bad AC leakage that then goes straight into the DAC. The advertising regarding the iFi Power supply is only for the positive/negative differential noise, but by doing this they introduce more noise through mains leakage.

After trying both the Regen and the IsoRegen I would highly suggest you be patient and save up for an UltraRendu and then add on a linear power supply. The UltraRendu is in another league compared to these devices. If you want to start tweaking immediately though I would go with a Regen or Iso Regen and look at a good linear power supply (power supply is critical).

cxp said

(3) Now worry about USB. Keep in mind what you power these devices with has a HUGE impact on how they sound. Take for instance the iFi Purifier, you would be using an SMPS (iFi Power) to power it with really bad AC leakage that then goes straight into the DAC. The advertising regarding the iFi Power supply is only for the positive/negative differential noise, but by doing this they introduce more noise through mains leakage.

I am simply filtering the power. Not adding an IFi Power to power anything.

My PC is fanless and SSD. Its power supply is low ripple. I am not going to go crazy with this because the sound right now is very good. As soon as I get my Gain Cell DAC I anticipate it will get even better.

My bad… i thought the iFi Purifier was similar to their spdif purifier which reclocks and galvanically isolates etc…

So the iFi purifier is similar to the Jitterbug in being a passive filtration device. In my experience with the Jitterbug it smooths everything out but kills the presence and dynamics a bit, darkening everything. I expect the performance of the iFi Purifier will vary based on the USB cable that you are using. It will likely make some sort of sonic change but it comes down to system tuning.

Have fun with your new SGCD!

:slight_smile: