Directstream "Bass-boost" Equalization?

Since the Directstream provides bit perfect volume control, I was wondering whether it would be possible for the software to provide options for bass-boost equalization?

I think it’s great that I can drive my amp directly from the Directstream and don’t want to change that, but I miss not being able to boost the bass a bit when listening at low volumes.

It could be done in theory, but it’s unlikely to happen. There are a lot of interesting DSP functions one could think of…

Most players provide various DSP functions, JRiver MC, foobar2000, etc. They certainly should have a better UI than the DS does for such things and far more options. Tho they don’t provide these features on pure DSD, one could argue that doing the work at 176.4k or 352.8k shouldn’t hurt too much.

Ted Smith said It could be done in theory, but it's unlikely to happen. There are a lot of interesting DSP functions one could think of...

Most players provide various DSP functions, JRiver MC, foobar2000, etc. They certainly should have a better UI than the DS does for such things and far more options. Tho they don’t provide these features on pure DSD, one could argue that doing the work at 176.4k or 352.8k shouldn’t hurt too much.

Thanks, Ted. Well, it’s good to know it’s possible. I’m listening mostly to DSD these days (Opus3 DSD128 recordings are amazing through the Directstream) so I was just thinkin’ it would be nice to have a couple “bass-boost” options in the digital domain.

I really like the idea of a box that does various DSP, e.g. parametric equalizer, speaker correction curves, time/distance alignment, crossovers/mixers (e.g. for a single sub system or for multiple multiway speakers), phantom centers… on any PCM or DSD input and it might as well have a jitter attenuator as well. Perhaps being an any format to any format converter at the same time would be useful too. I think it would be most useful as a separate box instead of being integrated into a specific DAC.

That sounds a lot like the miniDSP DDRC-22D that I am working with at this time.

I do not pull my music off of a computer so the countless number of DSP plug ins are of little interest to me.

But DiracLive is available built into the DDRC-22D, a separate “box” that I have connected between my BDP-1 and DS via AES/EBU.

I’m really not into what the room correction feature has to offer, but the impulse response correction is quite impressive!

I am not affiliated in any way with miniDSP, but they offer all of the features that were mentioned in various forms.

Ted Smith said I really like the idea of a box that does various DSP, e.g. parametric equalizer, speaker correction curves, time/distance alignment, crossovers/mixers (e.g. for a single sub system or for multiple multiway speakers), phantom centers... on any PCM or DSD input and it might as well have a jitter attenuator as well. Perhaps being an any format to any format converter at the same time would be useful too. I think it would be most useful as a separate box instead of being integrated into a specific DAC.
+++1

A separate box with USB/SPDIF/I2S input and an SPDIF/I2S out towards the DS