DirectStream Memory Player Video posted

Over the next few days we’ll launch the DirectStream Memory Player webpages, info, features and photos. In the meantime, we’ve produced a short 15 minute video explaining much about this new state-of-the-art transport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2hvtqLP4qE

We decided to change the name of the new transport from DST (DirectStream Transport) to more accurately reflect the important internal technology inside. The Digital Lens inside the DirectStream Memory Player (DMP) is key to the DMP’s amazing ability to uncover that which has stubbornly remained hidden inside CDs, and now, finally uncovered.

The DMP played into DirectStream DAC is something extraordinary on CDs, but even more eye opening because for the first time, we can extract the raw DSD data locked in the SACD layer and play it through DirectStream or DirectStream Junior. And, I am here to tell you, if you’ve only heard your SACD through the analog outputs of your player, you don’t know what is on that layer.

I’ll post information on pages and more data on this remarkable new player when available.

For your information, the current launch schedule has us announcing the beta units availability in October, then production units in December, if the beta launch is successful. For those in the United States wishing to be Beta testers, we’ll announce that in Paul’s Posts soon. Keep a watch out. We will mostly be looking for DirectStream or DirectStream Junior owners, but we will also make beta units available for a select group of non-PS DAC owners as well.

Great stuff!

Thanks Elk!

Hi Paul,

Congratulations on this great achievement of the PS Audio team!

I have watched the video and it leaves me with a question:

How, in your opinion, does the DSD/BridgeII combination compares to the DSD/DMP combination for PCM44.1/16 and DSD64 stereo playback? Are they close if the rip is accurate?

Regards, Koudijs

And if I am not much mistaken there will be a DMP world premiere next weekend at the Horten HiFi show in Norway?

BTW: I am very happy to see that PS Audio now have a devoted distributor in Norway (Mala Audio) that really seem to promote PS Audio products the way they deserve it!

Frode 41_gif

Way cool.

Koudijs said Hi Paul,

Congratulations on this great achievement of the PS Audio team!

I have watched the video and it leaves me with a question:

How, in your opinion, does the DSD/BridgeII combination compares to the DSD/DMP combination for PCM44.1/16 and DSD64 stereo playback? Are they close if the rip is accurate?

Regards, Koudijs

Thanks! Using I2S as the interface, the DMP/DSD combination is better than the DSD/Bridge II combo. Clearer, more open and less confined within the spaces of the speaker - as if a light blanket had been removed.

Frode said And if I am not much mistaken there will be a DMP world premiere next weekend at the Horten HiFi show in Norway?

BTW: I am very happy to see that PS Audio now have a devoted distributor in Norway (Mala Audio) that really seem to promote PS Audio products the way they deserve it!

Frode

Thanks Frode! I hope they work out for us. They seem like awfully nice people.

Gosh, now I really want to be a beta tester. . . .

Congratulations, Paul – this is exciting stuff!

Paul McGowan said
Koudijs said How, in your opinion, does the DSD/BridgeII combination compares to the DSD/DMP combination for PCM44.1/16 and DSD64 stereo playback? Are they close if the rip is accurate

Thanks! Using I2S as the interface, the DMP/DSD combination is better than the DSD/Bridge II combo. Clearer, more open and less confined within the spaces of the speaker - as if a light blanket had been removed.

Thank you for this; I had the exact same question. I have been gradually ripping my CDs, partly for convenience and partly because the sound of the rips (uncompressed FLAC) played through the Bridge is almost always better than the CD playback. Now the DMP ups the ante for physical CD playback along with even better SACD sound . . . my banker will be seriously cross with you.

That clarification was essential for me as well. Paul’s Post yesterday - its comments really - muddied the waters for me, as it did not seem clear that the DMP to DSD was superior to a NAS to DSD via Bridge II. Now, unless I am wrong, Paul has clarified that above. Am I missing something Paul?

Nope. I am just sorry my post muddy waters for you.

Right now, DMP through DirectStream via I2S is top of the heap. Much better than anything else I have ever tried including the Bridge and my LANRover connected/JCat coupled Mac Mini.

Tomorrow may be different. But for right now, it’s a hands down winner.

Hope that’s clear enough?happy-048_gif

Interesting video, thanks for sharing Paul. I find it interesting that you think the DMP sounds better than the DS/Bridge II. As I recall the Bridge II has a digital lens of some sort, so assuming that is correct, then the use of a digital lens is not the sole reason for the improved sound. Perhaps a better implementation of the digital lens is? I bet you don’t really know, but that’s Ok, it leaves you with something more to do! Now, I’m just waiting for the terms of the beta test!

Will an upgrade kit for PWT >>> DST be available?

Paul McGowan said Thanks! Using I2S as the interface, the DMP/DSD combination is better than the DSD/Bridge II combo. Clearer, more open and less confined within the spaces of the speaker - as if a light blanket had been removed.
I thought that the BridgeII is also using an (internal) I2S connection to the DSD, isn't it?

Now that the DMP has been made do you see opportunities to come up with an improved bridge (BridgeIII), that makes use of the improvements incorporated in the DMP? I can imagine that a dedicated housing would be needed to get the maximum out of it. Continuing my BridgeIII daydream, if it gets three I2S outputs, like the DMP, it can be used for multi-channel DSD streaming. This would make a great combination with the multi-channel feature of Roon, where is being worked on right now.

P.S. If this post moves away from the topic too much, feel free to place it in a separate thread.

dlee said Will an upgrade kit for PWT >>> DST be available?
If I recall correctly that was previously addressed by Paul, and the answer was no since the DST is an entirely new design. However a trade in offer was being planned for PWT owners wishing to upgrade to a DST.

magister said

Thank you for this; I had the exact same question. I have been gradually ripping my CDs, partly for convenience and partly because the sound of the rips (uncompressed FLAC) played through the Bridge is almost always better than the CD playback. Now the DMP ups the ante for physical CD playback along with even better SACD sound . . . my banker will be seriously cross with you.
just remind that unless you don't use aif or wav instead of even uncompressed flac, you didn't hear the full potential of streaming.
pmotz said Interesting video, thanks for sharing Paul. I find it interesting that you think the DMP sounds better than the DS/Bridge II. As I recall the Bridge II has a digital lens of some sort, so assuming that is correct, then the use of a digital lens is not the sole reason for the improved sound. Perhaps a better implementation of the digital lens is? I bet you don't really know, but that's Ok, it leaves you with something more to do! Now, I'm just waiting for the terms of the beta test!
Yes, it's an interesting question and observation. But the two are so different as to be hard to imagine they could sound the same. DMP is pulling data from a mechanical, spinning disc and sending data in I2S to our electronics where we have a direct connection. There it enters the FPGA where we do our new advanced Lens technology and then output through I2S into the DAC.

The Bridge takes data from a computer, repackaged as packetized bits over a network, recombines them into something it can handle, decodes and processes those bits and then sends them through its own Lens. finally outputting to I2S.

Two very different processes - that use some of the same elements - but very different indeed.

Had they sounded identical that would be more remarkable to me.

dlee said Will an upgrade kit for PWT >>> DST be available?
No. Unfortunately there's no way to do this and that's why we will be offering an aggressive trade in program for PWT owners in the US. We are also working with our overseas distributors in the hopes they too can participate.
jazznut said just remind that unless you don't use aif or wav instead of even uncompressed flac, you didn't hear the full potential of streaming.
I have MinimServer (well, actually its MinimStreamer option) set to transcode FLAC to WAV before it gets sent off to the Bridge. I and a number of other Minim users find that doing this improves the sound; the reason is debated, but probably has to do with a reduced processing load on the Bridge.