DirectStream red cloud vs hugo2/qutest/dave

I guess the DS will further improve in attack and impact as it greatly did with redcloud. In my case it’s not yet where vinyl is, which in my setup still has better attack (especially when using a solid state instead of the tube phonoamp) and more impact/energy/life generally. But the DS is so good that it’s not obvious when listening to it exclusively for some time.

From everything else I read, I’m quite sure I’d prefer it to the Chord.

Oh, won’t that be wonderful. I’m going to CAF to have a listen.

Any idea why all the noise issues in your particular setup?

Have you considered moving up a couple of steps to a dedicated music server, like Small Green Computer vs a Windows laptop?

JLM, Ted Smith is doing a TSS DAC almost exclusively to get rid of noise. I’m doing my small part using optical input …and then condition the metal power cable as best as I can.
Perhaps a dedicated server produces a noise free usb …but a $50 toslink solution works 100%.
Why drive past a chicken farm? Even with the windows closed and fan off you take the chance of catching a whiff. Just take a different route.

Just seems like you’re driving a long way out of your way to avoid the chicken farm that I haven’t found in nearly 50 years of listening. Server could connect via Ethernet cable which according to Paul is way, way better than USB and especially coax or (gasp) optical.

BTW, what’s a “TSS DAC”?

Ted Smith Signature. At least that’s what Ted and Paul have as the working name.
Regarding the pursuit of noise free audio decoding …it’s worth it in whatever means you want to go. I can still hear improvements beyond the point where I thought I was fully satisfied. I won’t be able to afford the TSS but im sure some tech will filter down to DS.

1 Like

Just kills me when someone degrades a component from a biased ‘paid’ reviewer.
As opposed to an open mind and ear, you seem to be encased in an unwilling ability to be a rational listener.

I can understand brand loyalty, but don’t be ‘nationalistic’ about it.

I know for a fact that TRPTK and L2 studios use Hugo 2 DACs in post near field monitoring. These are people who use Merging Technologies ADC’s/DACs during their workflow. I’ll let you learn, for yourself, about MT and their digital file processes, used in many studios, that your DAC plays.

You have to at least respect this fields subjective nature and not tear down a subjective honest opinion with a silly review.

1 Like

I have seen on the forum where a user who has both the Dave and the DS has since the Snowmass update delegated the Chord Dave to his video set up.

To whom is this post addressed and why the venom?

Okay, yes, perhaps a bit of venom. However, more of an inability to understand why people quickly take such a black or white stance, regarding an audio component, that doesn’t fit their sound preferences. Especially if that ‘difference’ of musicality taste is of a component on a competitors forum.

But it’s a response, to the Gary_M Link with the passive aggressive point “Not a very flattering review”.

I like PSA DACs a lot, and while in San Francisco, liked the sound of the Hugo 2 while visiting Tone of Music Audio. I may buy one today, and I can’t wait to hear it in front of my Air Tight and First Watt > Orangutan 96s. I also can’t wait to hear a DSD in my chain as well.

I enjoyed reading about dmances’ tweaks with the Hugo 2, and look at it as an opportunity to perhaps have another nice sounding piece of gear to enjoy a musicality sound signature different from my current DAC and from my future DSD.

I read the Gary_M response as a complete oppositional stance, for no obvious reasoning, at least from what I could find in the thread. And I see it as a lost opportunity, on his part, to perhaps enjoy a nice sounding piece of equipment.

1 Like

Gary did not even express an opinion, He only characterized the review as unflattering - which it most decidedly is. And the term “unflattering” is hardly inflammatory. :slight_smile:

Your response was over the top and unnecessarily personal. And remember, you are responding to a six month old post which was not directed at you.

Please be nice in expressing your views. You are free to like, or dislike, Chord DACs - just be pleasant in presenting your preference.

Really? I’m “free” to talk about things. “Free” huh?..ya!

So long Ps Audio!

So long, Mr. vvcv…we hardly new you.

Just kidding. Stick around. Things seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. This is a pretty good group overall. I think you will find it to be more than open minded and far from nationalistic. Most folks here are not “Fan Boys”, in my opinion. In fact, overall, the dialogue and give and take here is some of the best I have experienced on the Interwebs.

I hope you reconsider.

Regards.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to compare my DSD with a Chord Dave at a local dealer. He set up a Boulder amp and B&W 802 D3 system to do the comparison. I’m not keen on B&W as I find them bright but he wanted to have a combination he knew to carry out the comparison. The DSD was running Snowmass V2.

Both DACs acquitted themselves well and, quite frankly, I could live with either. In this system the Dave was a little bright but very detailed and strong, clear bass. The DSD was almost as detailed and, thankfully, less sterile, producing a comparatively warmer sound, but not overtly ‘warm’ if you know what I mean. As for value for money I’m happy with where I spent my money. AND the DSD will improve over time - the Dave’s firmware is fixed and will not be upgraded.

I’d love to hear a debate between Ted Smith and Rob Watts (Chord) about programming FPGA. Now that would be interesting.

2 Likes

While I got my DSJ , I still have Hugo2 in hand.

Hugo2 is good, way better than tons of the DACs in the market

However, DSJ has certain features way surpass Hugo2 , especially nature of the theme, organic to the instruments.

They are different animals.

1 Like

I’m not sure there’d be much to debate about vis-à-vis the programming proper. It was fun talking to Rob for a while at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest two years ago (I went up after his talk and then we met up later over a meal.) He’s definitely a good egg. We definitely take a different approach both to use of DSD and how much work to do with the FPGA. I think we hear some of the same things that bug us with many DACs. We use different tools for our FPGA work because Xilinx has two tool sets, the FPGA in the DS is only supported by one and the FPGA in the TSS is only supported by the other toolset. So Rob seemed more than a little surprised when he heard that I don’t simulate the DS’s FPGA code (the toolset that I use for the DS’s simulator sucks in many ways including a huge slowdown for circuits that are big enough to be interesting.) I can now simulate the whole TSS FPGA program at once in the newer toolset and do so - but I still typically find bugs and fix them using only my ears.

8 Likes

Thank you for the insight.

Exactly.