Does Anyone Use a DAT Recorder to Makes Copies of LP’s?

I have an Audio Mirror Tubadour MK II ladder dac that sounds great but is just sitting unused in its box. I’m considering picking up a DAT recorder to make copies of some of my more pristine (quiet) lp’s. Does anyone do this? I’d use the dac for playback.

Would I get better sounding recordings using a reel to reel deck?

There are a couple of JVC consumer DAT recorders that are actually reliable that I’m considering. Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t, but my speaker system manufacturer Roger Sanders most certainly does and speaks very highly of the results.

BTW just listening to Chet Baker Sings on Blue Note Tone Poet series vinyl and wouldn’t dare try to transcribe to any digital format.

Welcome to the forums.

1 Like

Cor not for many many years - I was under the impression that DAT recorders, and the tapes, were not available any more, and hence anyone still using DAT was relying on the dwindling number of still functional machines.
Certainly I discovered pretty much all my DAT tapes had dropouts on them after 10 years or so, even when well stored.
Me, I like reel to reel, but of course most of the same issues apply to analogue tape - I have several reels of Ampex 456 tape from the early 90s. Was regarded as the best at the time.
All unplayable due to poor formulation of binder on the tapes so they shed their oxide on playback.

This is how I came to digital recording for archive, stored on more than one format of disk / whatever, and kept spinning / live at all times.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I didn’t realize that even properly stored DAT tapes were subject to such degradation. I plan to remain alive for 20 to 25 years baring illness or accident, so 10 years or less of reliable storage just won’t do.

In terms of reliability, JVC sold some consumer decks in the early 1990’s that are still considered reliable today. I’ve also read that some financial companies still use dat to back up records. Because of this, data DAT tapes are still widely available and, supposedly, the same as tapes manufactured for music. I have no idea if this is true or not.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the welcome.

:). I bet not!

Hi and welcome.

For many years I did what you are contemplating: ripping LPs to DAT. I used a Sony DTC-55ES until I switched to using the analogue input of a good audio interface (RME Fireface 400) connected to a Mac computer. Easier to manage than using the DAT recorder. I subsequently copied the DAT tapes I’d made to the computer using the same interface and then sold all the DAT tapes and machine on eBay. I’d strongly recommend the Sony machine if you really wish to go down that route.

Have fun!

2 Likes

That’s certainly an interesting option. Thanks

I’m mostly considering doing this just because I’m bored out of my mind while staying home during the epidemic.

1 Like

I’d have to agree as above, better off going straight to a computer :slight_smile:

1 Like

I snould just really forget the whole idea. I probably own very few, if any, lp’s that I couldn’t just stream from any number of services. If I did this, I would end up with digital recordings anyways.

I get bored and my mind wonders…this time it likely wondered right down a dead end path.

I can’t type either. That’s why I’m the mad editor of my own posts.

1 Like

Just go whole hog vinyl and don’t worry about the consequences!

1 Like

Sony makes an inexpensive turntable (Sony PSHX500) to DSD solution. you can try that- and won’t cost much. Would love to get input from those that did try it.

2 Likes

Reviews I have seen don’t make clear of you can use it direct into a DAC rather that having to record files using their incompatible software,anyone know for sure?

Question relating to the Sony pshx500 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably the best sounding and affordable option (WAY better than DAT) would a Tascam DA-3000 or Korg MR2000s stereo recorder. The Tascam records to SD card and Korg records to hard drive. These will record and play back DSD (which IMO sounds the best) but will also do PCM up to 24/192.

4 Likes