Does DMP sound much better than PWT

The PWT was and is amazing! The question… Does the DMP sound that much better is a loaded question. On pure Sonics, the short answer is yes. However, when replacing any great high end product the replacement faces the “law of diminishing returns”. A small (but large when considering improvements at that level) for a sometimes large chunk of money. Thus the question… is it worth it? Sonic Improvement vs Cost.
An example: Take a very well accepted and acclaimed speaker from a given manufacturer. A couple of years later they come out with a Version II. Does the Version I automatically become junk or sound less than before! No! But if the manufacturer does legitimately make some improvements, it will most likely sound better. But almost always… not be in a different league! Just better in a audiophile world of small improvements for big money.
But to me that’s part of the hobby, researching, listening, weighing options, making purchases, and of yeah, listening to music! I love music but I’m an equipment lover as well (for me it’s not just all about the music. If so I’d be happy to listen on a lot lesser system than high end. And this we are back to… does it sound better? Is it worth it? And so on).
My two cents worth! Though in our hobby two cents won’t get us much!
Happy Audiophile Day!!!

2 Likes

Right, and there’s the question of where else the money could go to improve the system overall. I mean, I just spent $299 to upgrade a USB cable and was knocked on the floor.

1 Like

Hello,
Is it possible to install bluray driver instead of dvd driver in pwt?

The dvdrom drive in the PWT does not support Bluray. If you installed a Bluray drive you would not gain any advantage and actually may compromise CD performance.

1 Like

I do not agree with you because it is not a cd driver. It also memorizes. In this case it is driver independent. If it works, I have a capacity advantage. If it works, ssd can also be installed instead of dvd drive.

1 Like

No one said it was a CD drive it is either a DVD rom or dvdrw. A bluray drive uses a different bandwidth blue laser. It is not optimised for CD playback. You can play recorded DVDs on the PWT even dop/dsd with the current drive. It seems it would be quite cumbersome trying to negotiate through files on a bluray disk.

1 Like

Additionally, the electronics of the PWT are not set up to recognize a Blu-ray drive.

Even if the drive powers up, one would be lucky to have it play on CDs and DVDs.

But if you try it, please let us know what happens.

Yeah, I agree. I don’t think the software would know how to work with it. Certainly worth a shot though. Let us know if you try it.

I just got a Stellar Gain DAC (pre) and hooked it up via HDMI (70% off from Music Direct AQ fire sale) to the PWT. Really does sound great with those old CDs that were gathering dust. (Even though it’s not the DS). This is in my headphone/office system.

3 Likes

Very nice. Congratulations. I have my PWT 8 years now and it is still going strong.

2 Likes

Hi Mitch,
That spare drive that you have for your PWT; did you purchase it from PS Audio?
I was trying to research if it is possible to use a CD/DVD ROM from a reputable manufacturer, as a spare drive for the PWT, as long as it fits properly.
Thanks for your time,
Scratcha

1 Like

Hi Scratcha
The replacement drive is available on eBay. I will look it up and get back to you. If you look at the post on the forum you should find the link to the drive. You may need an adapter piece depending on your PWT
Mitch

1 Like

Nice!:+1:!!

ASUS 24X Internal Desktop SATA CD DVD RW DL Burner Re-Writer Drive + Software

The above is the drive required
I will get you the Amazon link for the adapter you may need

1 Like

Amazon’s Choicefor “ide to sata adapter”

1 Like

I hope this helps. Let me know
Mitch

4.1 out of 5 stars 287Reviews

SinLoon SATA Female to 40 pin Male 3.5 inch IDE Adapter for PC and Mac Computer to SATA Hard Drive Interface Adapter(SATA F/3.5 M)

Amazon’s Choicefor “ide to sata adapter”

1. SinLoon SATA Female to 40 pin Male 3.5 inch IDE Adapter for PC and Mac Computer to SATA Hard Drive Interface Adapter(SATA F/3.5 M)|pxxpx

Check out above link

Thank you Mitch!
Valuable information!

PST sounds better. I2S via Wireworld Platinum to dsdac.