Does optical isolation with basic Fiber Media Converters have an impact?

IME, the 1000 Mbps simply won’t complete the “hand shake” with the Bridge II Ethernet card. You have to use the other TPLink MC or a compatible switch between the 1000 Mbps MC and the Bridge II.

I’m using this exact same setup on my system. My optical cable is 25 mtrs and I get impressive performance streaming from my PC to the Bridge uisng JRiver MediaCenter 27. Significant overall improvement over straight ethernet.

1 Like

Well, I ordered a cheap kit from Amazon.
2 10/100Mbps FMCs and some fiberoptic cable.
$50. LOL.

If it does nothing I can ship it back.

1 Like

I suspect you will set it, like it and forget it, like someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

Please let us know how it performs.

Cheers.

1 Like

OK, got it setup and inserted into the signal path.
It certainly does not make things worse. :laughing:

It stays.

Has me thinking about the Optical Rendu.

Using an UltraRendu now.

1 Like

I have Zero experience with any Sonore products, so I can’t offer any experience or advice in that regard.

Glad you like the MC/optical set up.

FWIW, since I have ethernet (a switch and a WireWorld cable) downstream of the TPLink MC’s, I added a Pink Faun LAN Isolator just in front of/plugged into the Bridge II Ethernet card installed in my DS. I figured any power supply incursions from the switch and the second MC might be worth scrubbing.

Again, system seemed to be a bit more revealing (certainly not worse), so I kept the little plug-in Isolator in the signal path. They are priced really reasonably, so you might want to check them out if you start to get that itch to tweak the digital signal path further.

Pink Faun LAN Isolator:

Have fun and enjoy the music.

1 Like

I use the Sonore Optical Module Deluxe at the entry point of the network into my home followed by 20 meters of OM1 LC-LC fiber (Finisar FTLF13183PBL Transceivers) to get the network to my listening room where it comes back to copper care of an Uptone EtherRegen which accepts fiber directly (another Finisar Transceiver). Glorious, just glorious… Only a minor in telecom needed to decipher the acronyms used for fiber networking… Eee-gads… I am using an external 10 mHz clock on the EtherRegen, whose benefit could be debated (I prefer it over the internal clock) but the fiber isolation I found an instant improvement in baseline noise. A pair of TP-links MC’s and 30 bucks of fiber, is where I started and would recommend it to anyone… I moved to this more refined solution as I was organizing my network cabinet… In fact, I have a pair of TP Link MC"s and 20 meters of fiber free to a good home if someone is interested…

@argoncat, can you tell us what you did for the refinement?

My final network solution to bring as.clean and pure single to my Music room is as follows

On the “transmit” side:
From my network switch (Linksys on a iFi iPower wall wart) to Sonore Optical Deluxe equipped with a Finisar SFP module and a SGC LPS then into 20 meters of OM 1 duplex multi mode LC-LC fiber.

This is then received by:
An identical Finisar SFP module on the “A” side of the Uptone EtherRegen which then feeds my PS DSD via a custom built cat-6 (DH labs reunion cable and Metz shielded connectors) fron the “B” side of the “digital moat”. The EtherRegen and the external 10 MHz OCXO reference clock feeding it are both powered.by a 12V Farad Super3 LPS .

It’s a lot of hardware upfront compared to plugging your streamer into the back of your cable modem, but garbage in, garbage out and am I’m extremely pleased with the results. Quieter noise floor and far better transients. I almost exclusively stream Tidal and Qobuz content and can’t share any experience with this rig pulling data from a local nas or roon, which should be on the “A” side of the EtherRegen… hope this helps.

2 Likes

I have had similar results running Ethernet connections from my router (Xfinity X1) to both my Oppo 105D and DS DAC using Acoustic Revive LAN isolators. Been using them for a number of years now. What I’ve found, if this makes sense, is that with the isolators in place the sonic signature of the Ethernet cable is more noticeable. Guess that could be good or bad depending on the Ethernet cable in use.

2 Likes

Hi Guys,

Is this still true for the DSD Jnr, i.e. you need a 100Mbps Media converter & similar speed switch? I ask as there is a lot of “noise” online about “audiophile” switches which I’ve not been sucked into (as yet) but all the reviewed switches seem to be Gigabyte switches which I don’t think will work with the DSD Jnr?

Maybe there has been a bridge update to allow a Gigabyte switch??

Cheers all
Matt

PS - I also agree that the TP Link MC110 made a difference to my set up…darker background, more musical, less digital glare…

1 Like

I started with the cheap stuff and it was fine. But the really good stuff cost less than a grand including a great power supply. I have zero regrets for getting the good stuff.

At the very least spend the under 100 dollar cost to try it.