Use of fiber optic to Ethernet converter with Bridge II

After reading an article regarding the use of an Ethernet to optical fiber media converter to transfer digital music from PC to a DAC, I decided to try using it. The article described sonic improvements with this setup. I am using 2 TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet Media Converters ( 1 for sending and 1 for receiving). A 6 inch Ethernet cable connects to the sender from my router and a 6 inch Ethernet cable connects from the receiver to the Bridge on my Direcstream DAC. THE TP-Link media converters are connected to each other with a 3 meter SC-SC Fiber optic cable. I can get an Ethernet connection to my laptop from this setup without a problem. I can’t get a connection to the Bridge recognized by J River Media Center. Any ideas from anyone on how to get this to work. Thanks in advance.

I had (I think) similar issues when I put the same optical isolation “system” in place. I found that the ethernet “handshake”, if you will, would fail somewhere between my router, passive ethernet switch, TP-Links and DAC once I strung everything together, unless I de-powered everything in the chain upstream of my PWD MKII/Bridge I and then powered it all back up. I never quite isolated the culprit, but I suspect the switch is the main offender.

Once it comes up and connects, its stable.

Hope this helps…

Scott

Bridge 2 Has 100Mb Ethernet interface. So tp-link media converter with 1Gbps connection can’t connect to bridge 2.

In my case bridge 2 with tp-link media converters work very reliable.

I do have the same setup except an extra switch between the bridge and the tp link.

I need this switch to connect the 100Mb bridge with the TP link 1Gb media converter.

A setup with 2 100Mb TP links don’t need the extra switch but was not stable in my situation.

I use a 100Mb TP-Link after a switch and it is rock solid. Precise hardware given in this diagram:

In my case

NAS ==> Switch/router ==> MC100 ==> MC100 ==> Bridge

Works for 30 min great and the hick ups till completely stopped working.

My Setup:

roon server - tplink 1gbps (LPS) - tplink switch with optical connection modules - tplink 1gbps (hdplex LPS) - cat6 cabling - switch 5v (UpToneLPS-1) - optoisolator 100mbps (UpTone LPS-1) - bridge 2

Nas and Roon server are in different location that DS dac

cabin said Bridge 2 Has 100Mb Ethernet interface. So tp-link media converter with 1Gbps connection can't connect to bridge 2.

In my case bridge 2 with tp-link media converters work very reliable.

This is the answer to the OP’s original problem. DS cannot be used with a gigabit media converter. Have to use a 100mbps converter. Went through this with each of my DACs and other devices, and had to make sure I was using the right converter for each device. For the DS, this device works with a single mode fiber interface. This device doesn’t. Neither does this one [though I use several elsewhere].

scotte1 said I had (I think) similar issues when I put the same optical isolation "system" in place. I found that the ethernet "handshake", if you will, would fail somewhere between my router, passive ethernet switch, TP-Links and DAC once I strung everything together, unless I de-powered everything in the chain upstream of my PWD MKII/Bridge I and then powered it all back up. I never quite isolated the culprit, but I suspect the switch is the main offender.

Once it comes up and connects, its stable.

Hope this helps…

Scott

I did de-power everything and it all started to work flawlessly and continues to do so after 2 days. The sound I am getting is soemthing I did not expect. Cleaner highs, tight bass, blacker backgrounds. In my little sound room, anything like this is very positive. I am blown away by the improvement for such small investment. Thanks for your reply!!!

41_gif YW

Would I benefit from using the 2 converters with just a ethernet connection from my router.

I plan on just listening to online library’s not on a NAS or computer

PSAF said Would I benefit from using the 2 converters with just a ethernet connection from my router.

Not quite sure what your question means. You are always going to have an ethernet line running to the DS if you are feeding it music over a network. Doesn't matter if you're listening to, music stored on your NAS, computer, or someone else's NAS/Computer [TIDAL, for example]. The theory behind using the fiber media converter is that it helps to reduce noise, or the risk of noise, coming through the ethernet line, which could be generated by whatever switch or other equipment your ethernet cable connects, or the cable itself, etc. The point of the converter is to create a point of isolation between your DAC and all that noisy stuff upstream. Personally, I think it works, but you will need to make sure that your DAC is quiet enough to hear this difference in order to decide if it is worthwhile for you. This means good power and cabling into the DAC, as well as to the downstream elements of your system.

FWIW, I think this is one of the steps that help to make a network DAC, specifically in my case, the DS w/ Bridge sound more like the DMP/DS combo. The Bridge is a bit of a different transport/streamer from the DMP. And the DMP enjoys the benefit of the I2S connection to the DS. Fully isolating the Bridge from the rest of the network [and optimizing that network for best throughout to the DS] goes a long way to optimizing the sound of the Bridge.

palerider said
PSAF said Would I benefit from using the 2 converters with just a ethernet connection from my router.

Not quite sure what your question means. You are always going to have an ethernet line running to the DS if you are feeding it music over a network. Doesn’t matter if you’re listening to, music stored on your NAS, computer, or someone else’s NAS/Computer [TIDAL, for example]. The theory behind using the fiber media converter is that it helps to reduce noise, or the risk of noise, coming through the ethernet line, which could be generated by whatever switch or other equipment your ethernet cable connects, or the cable itself, etc. The point of the converter is to create a point of isolation between your DAC and all that noisy stuff upstream. Personally, I think it works, but you will need to make sure that your DAC is quiet enough to hear this difference in order to decide if it is worthwhile for you. This means good power and cabling into the DAC, as well as to the downstream elements of your system.

Thanks that is what I thought, looking at Amazon looks like it would about $100 if it does not improve the sound I could send it back

Palerider, when I order the 2 converters do I order a duplex optic cable or a single optic cable, if a single does it hook up to the tx or rx output?

Depends on which converter you buy. The TP-ink models are well-labeled as to whether they are single mode or multimode. In the home, either will work just fine. I chose single mode, simply because that’s what my Superstream came with, so I decided to stick with that. You also have to make sure you have the right plugs on each end. They’re the things that look like little plungers. But it’s easier than it looks. For this TP-Link converter, you would order two of those converters and one of these cables in whatever length you need. That’s all you need, plus the Ethernet cables that go into and out of each converter.

If you get really whacked about these things, you can order third party power supplies. Not that any of us would do that. 24_gif

Thanks that is what I thought, looking at Amazon looks like it would about $100 if it does not improve the sound I could send it back.
That's the great thing about Amazon, especially with this little stuff.

“whacked out” LOL, funny the single mode cost more

Single mode

It is only a $10 difference I might just order these to keep it easy, less cables and I do not need to hook up power supplies

PSAF said "whacked out" LOL, funny the single mode cost more

Single mode

It is only a $10 difference I might just order these to keep it easy, less cables and I do not need to hook up power supplies

WDM may be an advantage. I don't find single mode or multi mode fiber particularly inconvenient or expensive in my environment. But this unit still has an external power supply. Check the specs.

Single mode costs more because it is more difficult and expensive to make, and relies on laser light transmission rather than LED. See here for a good resource, actually targeted at audio folks.

HI Guys,

Hello from Australia,

I’me a proud new owner of a DSJnr & after a few nights of being blown away by the sound of the DAC, I’ve finally got around to plugging in an ethernet cable, enabled Roon to output to my DSJ & synched this output to my iPhone Roon app etc…

I then swithed over to the bridge &…noise, noise noise…lots of interference!

I have to say I’m not surprised as my home network is awful so before I go start throwing money, I thought I better check with you guys for some advice.

Reading up in the DSJ I can use Ethernet over Power (EoP) & I do have an old 200mbps adapter I use for the TV, HT AMP & Fox but I think the main issue is that my iMac (where the Room core presides) & the Ethernet connection to the DSJ are both via wi-fi range extenders which have a single Ethernet cable output.(i.e. not EoP). So…I’m thinking this set-up is introducing lots of interference?

What I think I need is a newer EoP kit but I need x2 outlets, i.e one for the iMac (Roon Core) & another for the wired connection to my my DSJ…does that sound correct?

Also…I’ve not heard of the Ethernet Media Converters & I’m not entirely sure why you need x2 but I’m assuming this would sit in-between the output of a EoP adapter & the output of the 2nd media converter is an ethernet cable into the DSJ?

One final question if I may…any recommendations for ethernet cables or are the standard “computer” Cat5 cables ok?

Cheers

Matthew

mattjtaylor2809 said

…Also…I’ve not heard of the Ethernet Media Converters & I’m not entirely sure why you need x2 but I’m assuming this would sit in-between the output of a EoP adapter & the output of the 2nd media converter is an ethernet cable into the DSJ?

Cheers

Matthew

Hello, Matthew.

If I understand your question correctly, this article should be of interest to you: Link to Article on “Fiber Optic Isolation”

Be sure to peruse the Q&A that follows the article – good stuff in there for you if you are considering giving this a try.

Regards,

Scott