Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? ASR video

Oh my. Talk about poking the hornet’s nest.
I will never understand a website and community of individuals who rank audio equipment purely based on measurements without actually listening to the gear. More power to ASR and those who participate in that forum if that is the approach they favor for assessment of audio equipment. To me, that approach is equivalent to ranking high performance cars by datasheet numbers only without a test drive. Makes no sense in that context, makes no sense in the context of audio equipment evaluation.

6 Likes

Oh my. Talk about poking the hornet’s nest.
I will never understand a website and community of individuals who rank audio equipment purely based on measurements without actually listening to the gear.

Well said.

Great Measurements sound great until you hear something that sounds better that doesn’t. You just can’t say that without ridicule over there. I read some real toxic threads over there just talking general audio before the hardware comes into play.

Even their paying contributors get beat up even trying to act civilized. Nobody moderates and Amir is happy to let the spewing continue for fear of losing 5 seconds of fame.

2 Likes

Unfortunately many enjoy being keyboard warriors. Websites which allow this are often popular.

Sadly.

2 Likes

Fortunately, I don’t frequent such sites and this forum isn’t one of them.

:wink:

2 Likes

Do keyboard warriors wear digital feathers?

2 Likes

They are mainly snipers shooting from a far and don’t need war paint since they never show face.

2 Likes

It potentially could be one of the reasons you have chosen one speaker over another. I have seen too many room photos of folks who take little care in how they position their speakers in their room, or if the walls need some treatment.

There are also issued of recordings as well where you can hear that the recording engineer did a good job of mic placement to maintain the stereo image and you can localize the player’s positions. Others not so much.

I also use the choral test on loudspeakers using some excellent recordings I have in which good speakers will allow one to understand the words being sung by mass voices. Some choruses are much better then others with timing and diction important factors as well. This is one area where high res recordings can be a huge help.

It seems to me like with rather destructive, narcissistic politicians with the need of recognition who keep their followers busy with what they want to hear and stoke as much doubt as possible at the others.

It’s like someone criticizing concert venues from home without attending any. Good, but also sad that the internet offers the platform for all, the constructive and the destructive. People can choose…but too many get impressed even by obvious incompetence and ignorance.

2 Likes

I am hoping that shortly I can start attending concerts at Emory Univ’s Schwartz Auditorium beautiful venue soon. I miss it as it give me a great reference of what live music should sound like and what I want my recordings to be like. Even the undergraduate students are amazingly talented.

1 Like