DSD over PCM from PWT to Direct Stream

Have any of you new owners of the Direct Stream tried playing DSD from the Perfect Wave Transport?

st50maint said Have any of you new owners of the Direct Stream tried playing DSD from the Perfect Wave Transport?

Yes, it works fine. The bigger problem is getting DoP wrapped DSD to a DVD. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119364.0 has instructions for using foobar2000 to write DoP files. NOTE you should install a portable copy of foobar2000 in a different location than your normal foobar2000 installation for this since the instructions have you replace your foo_input_sacd with a hacked copy.

Very kind of you ted. I can now give this a try. So honest how many plastic coasters did you make before one that works. Hahaha

now be honest I have a few so far and not one working . But I will try this later .

al

Ted Smith said
st50maint said Have any of you new owners of the Direct Stream tried playing DSD from the Perfect Wave Transport?

Yes, it works fine. The bigger problem is getting DoP wrapped DSD to a DVD. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119364.0 has instructions for using foobar2000 to write DoP files. NOTE you should install a portable copy of foobar2000 in a different location than your normal foobar2000 installation for this since the instructions have you replace your foo_input_sacd with a hacked copy.

Could this one be used (in case the PWT reproduces Flac)?

http://www.sonore.us/apps.html

alrainbow said Very kind of you ted. I can now give this a try. So honest how many plastic coasters did you make before one that works. Hahaha

now be honest I have a few so far and not one working . But I will try this later .

al

I make many coasters anytime I try to burn anything for the PWT. I got all of the foobar2000 installation crud and the converting DSD to DoP files right the first time - I don’t remember for sure but I think I make four coasters this time, I’m getting better :)

I have two questions one you may know and you may not.

ThAnks in advance.

First does the PWT play DVD -RW OR ONLY DVD -R

Next I have a krell connect server it does not play dsd . In fact it will not show me anything in dsd format weather ISO or rip to dsd or DSF .So do you think that Ina PCM folder the dsd will play back from there ? If yes that is really cool then .

al

Frode2 said

Could this one be used (in case the PWT reproduces Flac)?

http://www.sonore.us/apps.html

It says it produces DoP in flac as an output which is good.

It doesn’t appear to accept .iso’s as input which is bad - I could be wrong.

I don’t use the PWT enough to know if it’s happy with flac.

I use dBpoweramp for conversions when things aren’t in the format I need - but (at least with rev 14 and older) it doesn’t do DoP wrapping.

I think that the Sonore program is likely to be a better route than the hacked foobar if you don’t have SACD iso’s, but YMMV.

alrainbow said I have two questions one you may know and you may not.

ThAnks in advance.

First does the PWT play DVD -RW OR ONLY DVD -R

Next I have a krell connect server it does not play dsd . In fact it will not show me anything in dsd format weather ISO or rip to dsd or DSF .So do you think that Ina PCM folder the dsd will play back from there ? If yes that is really cool then .

al

Sorry I don’t know what all the PWT accepts - I’m afraid I don’t understand the 2nd question. But if you are asking if the server will provide DoP encoded files to, say, the bridge, yes, just because DoP IS just 24/176.4 so path that passes 24/176.4 with no corruption will work.

I have a krell connect music server . It will not play dsd I use it with my Pwd mkii now. When I get my direct stream I would like to use it as my server source . Do you think it will play dsd over dop in flac ?

Al

alrainbow said I have a krell connect music server . It will not play dsd I use it with my Pwd mkii now. When I get my direct stream I would like to use it as my server source . Do you think it will play dsd over dop in flac ?

Al

If you have a version of your files in DoP on the server it will work. If your player configuration reads from the server and send data via the bridge, usb, etc. it can work. But the most obvious DLNA path where the file goes directly from the server to the DirectStream via the bridge would require another copy of the files that have been DoP wrapped.

Ok and a big thanks ted. I do not know how you and Paul met but wow ps audio is really lucky to have you.

Thanks al

alrainbow said Ok and a big thanks ted. I do not know how you and Paul met but wow ps audio is really lucky to have you.
Gus Skinas introduced Paul and me. You can see him describing it about 2/3 the way thru
Ted Smith said

It says it produces DoP in flac as an output which is good.

. .

I don’t use the PWT enough to know if it’s happy with flac.

The PWT needs to see a WAV file. All one need do is convert the resulting FLAC file to WAV.

Al, I do not know if the PWT accepts DCD RW; I have not tried as they are slow to write. Tried it and see.

Hello ted. I just got the direct stream installed and warmed up. I have some questions .

With HDMI input does it do dsd 128 ? Or just dsd64.

In the old kit there were two toroidal transformers in this kit upgrade just one ? Why ?

Does se the firmware that shipped with the chip have the latest update on it ?

So far so good very clean , then I had to leave to take my kid to karate . This is why I have an office rig , at my office hahaha.

al

alrainbow said Hello ted. I just got the direct stream installed and warmed up. I have some questions .

With HDMI input does it do dsd 128 ? Or just dsd64.

In the old kit there were two toroidal transformers in this kit upgrade just one ? Why ?

Does se the firmware that shipped with the chip have the latest update on it ?

So far so good very clean , then I had to leave to take my kid to karate . This is why I have an office rig , at my office hahaha.

al

The “HDMI” “I2S” inputs and the S/PDIF, AES/EBU inputs handle double rate DoP.

The “HDMI” “I2S” inputs also accept single and double rate raw DSD.

The PWD had a separate transformer for the analog board. The main transformer had a “spare” 12V output and my analog board expected 12V so… The DS analog board has quite a bit of power supply filtering so we thought it was worth checking out.

Everyone received the same, latest, software on their SD cards. Those SD cards updates the display card processor too. So if you hear audio, the code for the FPGA, the XMOS USB chip and the display processor are all up to date.

Regarding jriver setting . I know we need dsd over dop. But there is a couple of places to select it. In the drop down menu of dsd studio do we select none there ?

and in the ps audio Asia driver menu in j river we check the box dsd bit stream in dop .

I ask cause it plays in many ways . But the dialysis shows varing info depending on the selected boxes.

As in if I do not select none in output encoding it always shows PCM 176 24 is this ok.

If I select the dsd as in double or single I now get the display I have selected . Any thoughts

al