PerfectWave Transport: I2S & DSD

Hey, some questions:

Does the PWT, when playing a CD, send PCM via the I2S cable?
Does the PWT, when playing a DVD of DSD files, send DSD via the I2S?
Can the PWT play the DSD files straight from the DVDs included in Octave SACDs?

Thanks!

Do you mean the PerfectWave Transport, the first PS Audio digital transport, or the PerfectWave SACD Transport, the newest transport offered?

If the former, yes, PCM via I2S when playing Redbook. It is no to the other two questions I believe.

If the latter (which is abbreviated PST), I believe the answer to all questions is yes, though I have not yet attempted to play any DVD-R or Octave DVD discs on this transport.

Hi, thanks, yes the old original PWT. In the manual it says “As of the release date of the PWT, only those DVDs recorded with WAV files can be played” - I didn’t know if a firmware update ever enabled DSD files to be played from DVD?

I do not believe it ever was; seems that DSD could played if the files were DOP files if I recall correctly. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in–I am not a digital file person, don’t create or play any files, have a few DVD-R were given to me with hi-res material that play on the PerfectWave Transport.

1. Yes, when playing a standard CD it sends PCM.
  2. You know, I’m not certain about this. My first reaction is to say not, but I remember a few months ago someone said they were able to play DSD from a DVD disc so it’s very possible.
  3. The data discs we send aren’t meant to be played. Some DVDs can but not our data discs.

Thankyou. So re no 3: the dvd files are meant to be moved onto a streamer/pc etc.

The original pwt will play DSD files formatted as DOP that are recorded on dvds. It will not play the dsd layer of an SACD. I have recorded and played DSD DOP files.

Are there instructions on how to make a DSD DoP files? What software is needed? Thanks.

The software I use to convert a .dsf file to dop(wave) is Foobar 2000. I have not used it in a while. Here is a link to directions on the PS Audio Forum. How to play DSD files on Foobar – PS Audio
Hope this gets you working!

I am using a Denafrips Hermes DDC between my PC and the DSDac. It has improved my sound reproduction significantly. I was wondering if anyone has tried connecting the Hermes between the DST and DSD? To make things easier I would use the XLR connection between them and not have to touch the USB, Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Not that I’m aware of. I haven’t seen any in the lab or the listening rooms.