DSD played directly from NAS via bridge

A good one “bridge” is the new Auralic Aries with Quad-Core ARMCoretex-A9 processor running at 1GHz, 1GB DDR3onboard memory and 4GB internal storage:

Supported File Types
AAC, AIFF, ALAC, APE, DIFF, DSF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, WAV, WV and WMA
Sampling Rates
PCM in 44.1Khz - 384Khz at 16 - 32bits; DSD 2.8224MHz and 5.6448MHz

Media Server Compatibility

Minimserver, Twonky, Asset UPnP, JRiver DLNA/uPNP compatible server software

I’ll hope that PS audio goes in that direction.

Been there, done that.

I have been promoting this for the last couple of months herein and I also own it.

Good to see that others are of the same opinion, though :)

Ted Smith said To amplify Gordon's response the DS can consume single rate DSD via DoP on any input, double rate DSD via DoP on all inputs except TOSLink and the bridge, and native single rate and double rate dsd (raw dsd) over the I2S inputs. We MAY in a future release update the USB drivers to support raw DSD. In general DoP opens up the ability to use more standard hardware/drivers and is a good hack. Some DACs don't play DoP as well as DSD, but this isn't the case with the DS.
I know I am a bit late to this thread, and my apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere (I couldn't find it), but I am wondering if anyone knows of any network bridge type device that has I2S outputs and can transfer double DSD raw? I have the Sonore Rendu which can do single, but my hard-wired Ethernet network already sends that from my Synology to my DS quite fine. I know of the Aries, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem for this. And Bridge II doesn't look like it is going to address this limitation. Do I need double DSD? No, but I would like the option over the network if I can get it.

From the Sonore website:

“The i2s module supports up to DSD128”

If you have the standard (non-i2s module) version of the Rendu, maybe Sonore could upgrade it for you or give you a good trade-in??

palerider said
Ted Smith said the DS can consume single rate DSD via DoP on any input, double rate DSD via DoP on all inputs except TOSLink and the bridge, and native single rate and double rate dsd (raw dsd) over the I2S inputs.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any network bridge type device that has I2S outputs and can transfer double DSD raw?

Just in case I gave you the wrong idea I meant to imply that the I2S does both DoP and raw DSD (single or double rate).

palerider said
Ted Smith said To amplify Gordon's response the DS can consume single rate DSD via DoP on any input, double rate DSD via DoP on all inputs except TOSLink and the bridge, and native single rate and double rate dsd (raw dsd) over the I2S inputs. We MAY in a future release update the USB drivers to support raw DSD. In general DoP opens up the ability to use more standard hardware/drivers and is a good hack. Some DACs don't play DoP as well as DSD, but this isn't the case with the DS.
I know I am a bit late to this thread, and my apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere (I couldn't find it), but I am wondering if anyone knows of any network bridge type device that has I2S outputs and can transfer double DSD raw? I have the Sonore Rendu which can do single, but my hard-wired Ethernet network already sends that from my Synology to my DS quite fine. I know of the Aries, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem for this. And Bridge II doesn't look like it is going to address this limitation. Do I need double DSD? No, but I would like the option over the network if I can get it.
Palerider, I think we have similar ideas.

Take a look at this thread: Audiobyte Hydra-Z

I will revert with SQ impressions soon.

Ted Smith said
palerider said
Ted Smith said the DS can consume single rate DSD via DoP on any input, double rate DSD via DoP on all inputs except TOSLink and the bridge, and native single rate and double rate dsd (raw dsd) over the I2S inputs.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any network bridge type device that has I2S outputs and can transfer double DSD raw?

Just in case I gave you the wrong idea I meant to imply that the I2S does both DoP and raw DSD (single or double rate).

Thanks Ted. Right, I understood that. Looking for the best way to get that double DSD into the I2S port from my NAS. To magister’s point, I have the Rondu with the I2S module, so will be trying that out in my new listening room first once I get my DS screen repaired. Looking forward to frode’s feedback on the Audiobyte Hydra-Z.

hello to all
trying to play DSD from NAS wia minimserver to bridge 2, but without sucsess.
streamtranscode settings are: flac:wav24,dsf:dopwav,dff:dopwav,*:L16

using mconnect as control
flacs goes perfectly
but when I’m trying to play DSF and DFF song is dont start playing.
it shows art picture on display, I can press ‘pause’ or ‘stop’, I can press ‘play’ again, but anyhow timer shows 0.00 and playback is not starting.

any idea?

i’ve update settings, restart minimserver, but result still same

IMG_3591.PNGСнимок-экрана-2016-05-24-в-22.16.29.png

tried, unfortunately same result

IMG_3592.PNGIMG_3595-1.JPGIMG_3594-1.JPG

I play DSF files from my NAS via MinimServer all the time, so it can definitely be done. You seem to have MinimServer set correctly; I do include the *.L16 (probably doesn’t matter for DSF playback anyway).

I notice that in your screenshot, your files are identified as 352.8 KHz. Are these double-rate DSD? The Bridge is limited to single-rate. Mconnect shows 176.4 KHz when I play a DSF file.