EMI/RFI Absorbers

I use a Shakti Stone on top of my DMP and DSD. I’ve had these for years and they’ve made a noticeable difference on previous equipment I used to own. But to be honest, I don’t hear much of a difference, if any, using them on the DMP and DSD, but I figure I have them so I might as well use them.

If it were just for this post alone, this thread is worth reviving. I cannot thank you enough Ted.

@Vmax, because I think you became the maximum expert on the argument, I’ve just order some more sheets of 3M 7050HF.
I would like to stick them on the bottom part of the shelves of my “second little rack”. This one is close to the main rack of the system (where there are all components). This “side” rack is 15’’ x 11’’ and is dedicated to accessories and boxes: MacMini, router, keyboard mouse, CAD GC1 ground control boxes, electrical strips for lights with SMPSs and a LPS. Consider this a very polluted place.

My aim is to stick on each shelf a 3M sheet, on the bottom side, to have the absorbers not under the stuff but above them a few inches.

What do you think about? Unuseful, redundant?

TIA

Hi Luca,

I definitely would only place them where I here a difference. The sheets seem to offer the most use as rings around power cords, close toor directly on ribbon cables, passing digital data, covering half of a toroidal transformer.

I did find placement inside of the router directly adhering to, fpga, or digital ICs very worthwhile , I experimented trying to place larger pieces outside of the router but found to offer little results compared to opening the case and targeting ICs on its internal boards. I would avoid placing closes step up transformer devices used at ethernet inputs and outputs as you will likely cause mire hams than good. I did lots of research and found a router/switch digital company that had instructions on how to place a RF/EMI/EMF absorber sheet internal on a wall of their equipment for their field service technicians as a performance retrofit on fielded units. I am assuming they discovered this fix through looking at design and experimenting based on busy digital switching occurring.

I have a Bacch4mac mac mini M1 and wireless apple magic mouse and magic mouse keyboard that work by Bluetooth. I have yet to experiment with the 3M absorber and any affects on improvement of performance but have seen improvements in apple TV picture and sound using absorber over ICs on top cover of the unit.

I have not experimented on SMPS but have improved LPS performance by using absorber directly on internal ICs and tat tuning ring on DC power cord about 0.75 inches from the ZlSpS outputs.

Generally It is better to target the noisy or sensitive components individually by placement of absorber as close to the components as possible or the edges of a Faraday cage where short wavelength RF noise is is entering the unit with the RF absorber. A unit with open cooling grills or screens usually is designed for its internal emission versus what on outside is affecting it by the size of case gags or screens sized for RF wavelengths.

Protecting other audio components by placing RF absorber strategically near the susceptible audio components versus near noisy ones is probably easier and cheaper. The 3M data sheet tells where the material is most effective and the frequency ranges it affects and reduces dB as measured .

You may get lucky with your plan of lining shelves but unless noisy components are completely encased the short RF wavelengths will find their way out. Whether your placement affects RF emissions with enough reduction to be audible is likely not as effective as targeted usage based on closer placements per the RF bands where the material is designed to be effective and within very close proximity.

4 Likes

Thanks for your report, very useful and complete.

I’ll share with you my thoughts as soon as possible,

1 Like

@dchang05 i finally did my latest AB7050HF tweak that came to me in a dream after my knee surgery in a Rx pain killer sleep coma. Proving that less can be more when using this stuff.

I made a little hat tonight for the fuse holder nub on the back of the P20. My P20 has the Audio Magic M-1 Fuse. But it appears to lift another veil and further solidifies the bass and overall clarity without any noticeable negative effects.

More trials still need to be fone to see if MK2 DS gets the same boost. I need to order another few sheets anyway where the adhesive is not so aged and adhesion is better.

4 Likes

Love to hear more details from your latest tweak. I found everyone of yours help! Thanks ahead!

Are you feeling better? I surely hope you will recover fully soon!

1 Like

Thanks. It has been a challenge. My left fot went numb last Thursday after some knee swelling pinched the sciatic nerve. Starting to feel sensation it again. Have to return to work Monday

I am feeling good enough to start my back burner tweaks that were on hold

My theory is the PS Audio fuse holder lacks a shield at exposed point. So absorbin external RF hitting the fuse cap adds a boost. It is more than slight. Not sure if it turns an M-1 to a master fuse but changes it to better.

3 Likes

You had a major operation so it takes a long time to recover, my tooth implant is much simpler in comparison. Looking forward to hearing your finding.

Take care!

2 Likes

So far on one component the P20 the RF absorber hat is a winner. It seems having end of fuse outside the Faraday cage of the P-20 makes it a RF antenna picking up more RF that the tuning ring equipped Dragon cablle removed.

Overall it is very liquid and analog sounding the Bacch DSPis letting it all through.

The DS MK2 fuse holder is a contortionist nightmare in my rack. That is for another day.

2 Likes

The DS MK2 fuse holder protrudes less than on my P-20. A flat piece ca cover it. The improvement effect is slighter tha on the P-20 perhaps since the Regeneration powers my entire system. Give this tweak a try. I think I will keep it until new absorber delivers then prrl each off to see if they stay.

2 Likes

I wish you a speed recovery, sorry to hear about your pain! Good luck Vmax.

As for you latest tweak, you really are a master, please share a pic… TIA

2 Likes

I want to make sure I understand how this tweak is applied. Do I just cut a small piece of 3M sheet to cover the outside of the fuse holder from the back of the generator, and other gears?

2 Likes

It depends on fuse holder design on your regenerator. My P-20 fuse holder protrudes 1/8”. I cut a rectangle that let me wrap 360 rhen
squeezed top so the adhesive adheres to protruding edges and backpanel of P-20 then squeezed it so it adheres in a sor cream dispenser shape. Like this.

![IMG_3921|231x500](upload://612S2UlN22nFEOblvnSIQ5wNmE0.jpeg

I suppose if your absorber adhesive is not dried yoou could use a square that grips beveled edge of fuse holder. My absorber the adhesive was too aged thus the sour cream swueezer shspe.

The DS Mk2 fuse holder is closer flush. I just used a square to cover it adhering to holder and back panel.

3 Likes

Thanks but I’m not able to see the pic, only showing to me a text link

I did screen capture. Above here is link. Not sure why my photo didn’t show.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Daisy-Pure-and-Natural-Squeeze-Sour-Cream-Regular-14-ounces/43365585?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=880&adid=2222222227843365585_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-294505072980&wl5=9027211&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=43365585&wl13=880&veh=sem_LIA&gbraid=0AAAAADmfBIoRMv-ALe3N_7mAbBZpGx5Ik&gbraid=0AAAAADmfBIoRMv-ALe3N_7mAbBZpGx5Ik&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiZqhBhCJARIsACHHEH-8Pz5wEi1lL8pJUwT3H7_ZTd94AumWCrtcUiRFwhif__dugPlGxo8aAtRzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

It id prototype and ugly. I eill try a behind rack photo tomorrow.

1 Like

Can you use a tape to secure the 3M piece outside the holder? I’m confused about the usage of the cream.

1 Like

We’re seeing a daisy sour cream pic and its walmart link. I’m a bit confused.

The sour cream container is shape of the hat I fashioned of absorber that would stick on the back of unit with the aged adhesive backing. . Problem with painters tape is it peels with heat. . My p20 runs hot. I am sure some painters tape could secure it temporarily to trisl but the painters tape lasted three songs in my unit. This was proof of concept not a finished product

1 Like