Fuses In the DirectStream Question

I’m hoping that TED or someone can answer this one. So I’m getting my DS Kit tomorrow and since it’ll be all apart I want to install either HIFI Tuning Supreme or Synergistic fuses while it’s open. Although it’s not tough to take apart, I’d really rather not once it’s back together.

So my question is does anyone know for sure (or close) in which direction AC flows through the fuses? Looking at the Dac the fuse holders run from front to back. Looking at the pictures in the back of the Dac sits the AC inlet and the Transformer…

Does power flow from the back of the unit to the front or vice versa?.. Logically one would think so… Anyone TED! know for sure.

And yes I could install them listen and switch but I’m not going to open it back up once it’s open…

Thanks!!

Sorry, the DirectStream has the same power supply board as the PWD MKII (well except for the transformer) - so take their advice.

Thanks Ted…I’m inclined to believe that the power flow is from the back of the unit towards the front… can anyone with a PWD remember if that’s how they remember it?

Back to front is the way that I remember for the PWD.

J.P.

Thanks!

What for fuses are shipped with the DS? They do not look like either the usual ones, or AHP, or HiFi Tuning. I have AHP fuses in my old PWD, so I wonder if I should reuse them.

Hello,

I just bought a DirectStream and I’m interested in changing the fuses, but have a few questions.

What dimensions and ratings (5x20mm or 6x32mm / 250V ~A) do the fuses used in the DS have?

Does opening the DS and exchanging the fuses void the waranty?

I’m looking forward to your answers.

Best Regards

Dirk

Yumiko Morinaka said Hello,

I just bought a DirectStream and I’m interested in changing the fuses, but have a few questions.

What dimensions and ratings (5x20mm or 6x32mm / 250V ~A) do the fuses used in the DS have?

Best Regards

Dirk

Yumiko Morinaka said

Hello,

Best Regards

Dirk

5x20mm 1amp slow blow. I highly recommend SRred fuses over others. Best sound I’ve heard. Blow my SR20 and supreme fuses away. Also make certain the fuse writing in the barrel flows from back of the chassis toward the front so the current flow follows the writing on the fuse. Try both ways but the way I describe is the best sonics.

Odd

Hello Oddeophile,

thanks for the fast answer. That is really helpful, especially the recommendation.

Does opening the DS void the waranty?

Since I bought the DS as a complete Unit I don’t have the all-thread screws to open the DS yet. I’m living in Japan therefor I’m not sure if I can get them here. Does PS Audio sell those seperately?

Best Regards

Dirk

Dirk, I can’t speak to the warranty, but you may be able to pop the top even without the all-thread screws. If you want to give it a try, place the DS upside down on a safe, soft, scratch-free surface (you don’t want to hurt that beautiful lacquered top!). Remove the four cover screws from the bottom. Some chassis are such that if you then lift and “coax” the case - a little shaking and so forth - the weight of the top cover will be enough to cause it to drop away from the case. You have to be careful if you’re going to try this. But it might work.

Hello thanks for the the advice.

I think Will try to get the screws, do you know if PS Audio sell them.

Regards Dirk

Well, if you email PS Audio they may be able to let you know if there’s a distributor in Japan who can get them to you. Otherwise I would think a set could be mailed over, although it may not be as quick.

Dirk,if you can’t find there send me a PM with your address, I’ll get a set from my hardware store for you.

roger

You can get “All-Thread” at any good hardware store… If you can’t find all-thread just buy some long screws of the correct size and pitch,that’ll work fine…

Be aware that although there are two fuse holders in the Direct Stream, only one fuse is active.

The second fuse was used for the analog supply in the PWD. The DS does not have this extra supply.

erikm said You can get "All-Thread" at any good hardware store.. If you can't find all-thread just buy some long screws of the correct size and pitch,that'll work fine..
His store might have metric only, DS uses English thread.

An interesting point. In the States stores carry both SAE and metric as we enjoy so many foreign made products with metric fasteners.

Is it common in Europe and Asia to have easy access to SAE bolts, screws and tools - such as wrenches and hex keys?

tony22 said Dirk, I can't speak to the warranty, but you may be able to pop the top even without the all-thread screws. If you want to give it a try, place the DS upside down on a safe, soft, scratch-free surface (you don't want to hurt that beautiful lacquered top!). Remove the four cover screws from the bottom. Some chassis are such that if you then lift and "coax" the case - a little shaking and so forth - the weight of the top cover will be enough to cause it to drop away from the case. You have to be careful if you're going to try this. But it might work.
Insert a a thin metal rod with a point on it into each hole in turn and push gently. A cooking skewer is perfect. That will help to free the lid enough for you to be able pull to the lid off with your fingers. Do not push too hard with the rod so that you do not damage the threads so that you can put the retaining screws back in after you have finished. It worked for me with the PWD.
st50maint said Be aware that although there are two fuse holders in the Direct Stream, only one fuse is active.

The second fuse was used for the analog supply in the PWD. The DS does not have this extra supply.

Which is the active fuse or is it obvious by looking? From memory there were two fuses in the DS upgrade kit. Was one just a spare? If so it is a generous gesture by PS Audio.

John

Dragon Leader said

Does opening the DS void the waranty?

Since I bought the DS as a complete Unit I don’t have the all-thread screws to open the DS yet. I’m living in Japan therefor I’m not sure if I can get them here. Does PS Audio sell those seperately?

Best Regards

Hi Dirk. You will not void the warranty unless you damage something, which is unlikely. Some companies are weird about the warranty, penalizing you for even opening the unit, that';s not our style. We want you to be happy. You don't even need all thread, just a two inch long screw will be ok, once the top comes off you can then carefully remove the screws before removing the top cover. All threads are just easier. I am sure we can mail you some if you wish, contact us via email. If it were me, I'd just go to the hardware store and get some super long screws - but I am impatient.
1 Like
assisi said
Which is the active fuse or is it obvious by looking? From memory there were two fuses in the DS upgrade kit. Was one just a spare? If so it is a generous gesture by PS Audio.

John

According to the recent article in Stereophile, the fuse in position F1 is the active one. They used HiFi Tuning Supremes and according to Robert Deutsche, it improved the clarity of the DS + PW combo he was testing. (He upgraded the fuses in both).