End of an era-so long iPod

Truly a sad day. I miss the scroll wheel iPods a lot; they were an amazing interface.

4 Likes

A genius product. So many people were thinking Apple was getting into the music business by introducing iTunes, when in actuality they were selling hardware - the iPod. Their approach earned profit for the recording industry and made Apple a formidable adversary in the world of MP3 players. I still have and use 2, both being around 12-15 years old.

2 Likes

Unless you had a previous mp3 player, you just can’t realize how big a leap the iPod was. The ability to easily access and use really large libraries was truly revolutionary. I had Rio solid state player before my iPad that I used for running. The interface was a debacle and the hardware buttons failed within months. While I recognize that the solid state touchpad wheel was better long-term, that moving wheel of the first iPod was legitimate magic. Just special.

Steven Levy really nailed it with his book titled “The Perfect Thing”. The iPod really was that.

2 Likes

This news is actually a bummer for me personally. I’ve had an iPod beside my bed for years and I listen to it on the nights I’m having trouble falling asleep. Sure, I’ll be able to use my phone for that purpose, but I leave my iPhone next to the front door so that I don’t forget it when I leave the house in the morning. :smirk:

2 Likes

As soon as I bought my first high end system in 2017 and was hearing music in a way I never have in my life, I gave zero craps about any ipod. No turning back. No loss here. Terrible DACs they have also by the way.

1 Like

I have five different iPods in a drawer with five other similar products. The phone works for me now.

1 Like

The “standard sized” iPods are a great running/walking companion that I use everyday. When my last two die there is nothing on the market to replace them of a reasonable size or weight.

1 Like

Back in '04. I sold all my normal value 'Non Audiophile" CD’S at the flea market up in the Pocono’s to pay for a 40GB iPod. Ripped all those CD’s to 320mp3’s because we didn’t have affordable TB’s of storage back then. It only worked for 3 years then I bought the 80GB version in '07. Another 4 years, a cracked screen and then I forgot it on a flight back to Ottawa in 2011.

My Son DID NOT want an iPad since they were all the rage “with the kids” 10 - 11 years ago. Instead, my Mom bought him an iPod Touch which served him well and then I would use it on flights in order to save my phone’s battery. It died on me after 6 years of service between my Son & myself.

Great products. Hated iTunes though. Who here lost their entire Library when the sync feature was NOT unchecked ?

Why on Earth is Apple Music streaming only ?

I had a 64 gig Ipod that i had 12000 tracks on, give or take a couple hundred. A fellow I worked with loved my taste in music and said he would like to buy it from if I ever decided to part ways with it. I told him if he bought me a new 128 gig model it was his. He showed up the next day with a new Ipod and I gladly handed the old over, loaded with tunes.

I still have it, though the battery hardly lasts now, it’s hooked to my PC and I’m currently listening to it.

Greatest tech I’ve ever had. Used to take a backpack filled with CD’s when I went on vacation. Now the collection comes with me via my iPod. Also skiied, ran, hiked, sat in airports with it. A true life and mood saver.

1 Like

I am putting a 1TB micro thingy inside my AK380 and not missing anything that came before it. I guess they make fancier ones but this one seems end game. It feeds my Shure electrostatic IEMs a really nice sound.
Apple could make a massively good unit but they like phones now. My phone sounds good too.

Oh well, this defines the progression I suppose.

1 Like

Funny thing as I just redirected my Nano and Etymotic :thinking: ear buds. Time for an upgrade, possibly.

1 Like

Before getting a server with hard disc storage I went through three variations of iPods which stored ALAC or lossless WAV files that I’d ripped into iTunes for syncing to the iPod. I was able to read the files digitally with my Onkyo dock (I later got the Wadia version) so I was playing music out of sold state storage several years ago from the comfort of my settee. The iPod would be handheld using a long extension cable to the dock which would transmit optically across the room to the dac.

1 Like