End of the run for the DMP! What’s next?

Hi, Gary. I have a selection of interconnects. MG, Kimber, Audioquest, etc… I use Mogami balanced interconnects because I need long interconnects due to my setup and it would be too expensive to do it with other, more salubrious, make of interconnects…

2 Likes

Easy. I can do them 320 at a time.

Of course you can. I wouldn’t expect less. :yum: Biggest surprise being you can’t do more at a time …

1 Like

Actually, the system limit is 16,000 at a time.

That’s more like what I’d come to expect from you…

1 Like

True…a single server can import from up to 50 M700 disc importers, and they hold 320 each. So fill 'em up with 16,000 CD and a day later they’ll all be copied on the server.

Yes, that’s impressive…

The only thing I care to rip… would be you know what… after a good meal… Hell getting old!

3 Likes

And I believe everything on the internet. :grin:

Oppomod.com I2S Card Upgrade for UDP-203 - $220

This is add on card which extracts the I2S signal from OPPO’s internal digital audio data and transfers via HDMI to the I2S input of DAC’s such as the PS Audio DAC.

With this upgrade all digital audio signals, including SACD and DSD, can be transfered to the outside of the OPPO BD player (These signals can not be transmitted by a normal S/PDIF coaxial or optical output).

Currently, there are no standards for transmitting these I2S signals, but many manufacturers are following the PS Audio standard. This specification uses the HDMI terminal physically (not the HDMI transmission standard).

Currently PS Audio, Holo Audio and Javs DACs are confirmed for compatibility.

Model
– select your model – $220 - Oppo 103 / 103D / 203

I2S Card Features

• Extracts I2S Data Signals
  • Can transmit SACD and DSD to DAC’s
  • Follows PS Audio Standard

So this mod will allow those Oppo models to connect to a PS DAC for SACD playback in the same way as a DMP?

1 Like

Yes, it passes DSD 64 from SACDs over i2s just like the DMP. The huge advantage it has over the DMP is no drama playback of all the other disc based Hi-Res formats as well including DVD-A, Blu-Ray Audio, HRx, Qobuz, etc.
The UDP-203 also has an ethernet input and renders Qobuz Hi-Res flacs with aplomb using the same i2s output. None of the Oppo’s other features are sacrificed.

I am using the new Holo Audio Spring 2 (R2R and i2s inputting) Dac and the combination sounds frickin’ amazing. I kid you not…

1 Like

And what did the 203 retail at?

The fully modded UDP-203 and Level 3 Holo Audio Spring-2 Dac combination cost nearly $1500 less than the list price of the DMP alone…

1 Like

I2S card upgrade not available for 105s? Maybe already covered in this thread, but is there a reason for that? Also, I have custom firmware in my 105 that allows me to play SACD-r. Does this mod require different firmware?

The Oppomod i2s board requires no change in software and retains all of the features of the native Oppo Universal player.

The 105 and 205 already contain pretty capable Dacs. Far more cost effective to use the 203 or 103, but installation of the Oppomod i2s board might still be possible–you should check directly with Jaehong.

2 Likes

They are not designed for the 205, unfortunately. I think it’s a shame since it would be great to be able to use the Oppo as a spinner for the DSD.

There is pretty much no way to use a slot load drive without fingerprinting the bottom of the disc, so I won’t have one except in my car, where it came with the vehicle.

Personally I think the best mechanism was always the Philips CD Pro 2 with the puck as seen on the ARC Ref 9 CD.

I have a Cocktail Audio X45 Pro streamer that has a slot drive. I have never had to touch any part of the CD except the edge. Fingerprints are non-existent.

I, too, have never had any issue with a slot drive. You handle the CD as with any other transport, by the edges.