EtherRegen Review @ TAS

FYI.

I sold mine after 11 months. I simply didn’t hear or experience anything different with or without it. My ears, my system, of course.

1 Like

10-4.

As I mentioned in another thread, I could not hear a meaningful difference with it in the signal chain. I did use an aftermarket LPS also.
But, many people really like it so it definitely can work.

I am hearing a difference for the better with a Matrix into i2s.

Giving the etherRegen a shot was certainly worth a try. Easy to resell if it doesn’t work out.

I had mine for about 6-8 months powered by the UltraCap LPS-1.2 and Ghent DC cable. It made no discernable difference in my system, either. However, I am also open to the idea that it definitely works for the majority out there claiming it does wonders for their networking/streaming. Everyone’s setup and environments are so vastly different from each other that I suppose it doesn’t surprise me. I have sold them off and have since figured out a network chain and configuration that has reaped subjective improvements for about the same price, but it took quite some time to research, with a bit of trial-and-error for it to finally gel. I cannot imagine tweaking my upstream networking setup any further unless some other ‘miracle’ tech came along to try out.

2 Likes

Care to share some details about the bits and bots in your current digital signal chain…? I, for one, would be interested in your particular solution(s).

TIA.

It’s relatively similar to what many have followed from John Swenson. My router is a Google Nest, but I replaced the 14V/1.1A power adapter for a Teddy Pardo 15/2 and use an AQ NRG-Z3 PC.
My switch is an English Electric 8 (which I found to have a modest signature that I really enjoy) which is powered by a Paul Hynes SR4/PH Silver DC, again with an AQ NRG-Z3. I have ferrite clamps in the MHz range I place on the DC cables as well. Cheap enough to use.
I use a 1kVa Topaz model 91001-31 Ultra-Isolation Transformer (.0005pF capacitance) with a UPS mainly for its battery.
Now, many of the LPSs were from another system that is no longer and thus got repurposed; same with the Topaz unit. I used to use a PowerVar ABC1200-11, as I have always been a fan of industrial-use ITs, but have since discovered how effective the low interwinding capacitance of these really are.
My network system resides two floors below my dedicated listening room (with 3 dedicated 20a receptacles and an in-wall Ethernet run) in a utility room in the basement but requires a satellite in my office next to the music room. It is connected basically like this:

Wall > UPS > Topaz (with a passive Tripp-Lite or old NANA Wiremold/CablePro strip which the SR4 LPS/EE8 Switch and TP 15/2 PSU/Google Nest Router are plugged into)

My network streaming is about as good as it is going to get with this setup. It has never sounded this consistently good. I’m convinced the IT and LPSs replacing SMPSs have much to do with it. Overkill? Admittedly, yes.

3 Likes

What’s the DAC and input you are using thereto? Is there a streamer in there somewhere?

Just trying to understand how the Ethernet bits find there way into the box that converts the 1’s and 0’s to an analogue signal.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Good question. Pretty important to include that.
The Ethernet cable I use from the wall keystone jack (that comes from the network described two floors away) is a 1.2m AQ Vodka that connects to my Naim ND5 XS2 streamer. My DAC is a Chord Qutest that is also powered by a Paul Hynes SR4/PH Silver mini-USB DC lead. All of my components are fed into my PS Audio Stellar P3 regenerator with a PerfectWave AC-12 PC.

Added: I should also say I use S/PDIF from DAC to Streamer. It’s a Nordost Silver Shadow BNC-to-BNC.

3 Likes