EtherRegen vs optical, or both?

PS: I have an etherRegen in the rack. That’s how I’m going to feed optical to the OR

1 Like

I have the latest SSR SE Optical, there’s only one model these days which is an upgrade over the Level II.

My server is a pretty decent fanless custom build with all the components ppl seem to like, Apacer, Optane, LPS, all that good stuff.

TBH, in spite of the ER being in the chain, I found I liked the SQ more once I moved the server far away from my other components and can only assume its due to EMI/RF or something like that.

Running Euphony and HQPlayer on the (now remote) server added to my enjoyment.

I’ve not tried a dCS, but in my system, the SSR SE is the best end-point I’ve had compared to Auralic, Lumin, Innuos, and the PSA Bridge II.

2 Likes

This question is related to the topic, so… Here’s an open can o’ worms for you.

Optical Cables: Are there ‘audiophile quality’ optical cables, or are they all pretty much the same?

There are some ppl claim that single-mode cables sound better than the recommended multi-mode cables but I haven’t tried it myself. I believe you’d also need to invest in new cages. Some also claim TPLink cages sound better than others.

AFAIK there are no ‘audiophile’ SFP cables.

Yet.

Good. My wallet can take a breather.

1 Like

At the risk of falling into yet another rabbit hole I bought a single-mode cable and some of the recommended single-mode cages, will try them out this weekend.

A few weeks ago, I replaced an older Ubiquiti switch with one that adds 2 built-in SFP ports. The 10-port switch was $100. I connected that via a 30 foot fiber cable to the EtherRegen, then to the DS Jr. An immediate, but small, improvement. I’m only posting about this experience, which is likely nothing special, because I’ve been reading about a lot of forum members using converters (both fancy and basic), and I found that the combination of a switch with SFP ports and the EtherRegen cuts down on boxes and costs, with a nice uptick in sound quality.

4 Likes

I was wondering about this. I’ve got an extra port on my Ubiquiti switch and an EtherRegen on order. I’ll have to try this.

I was feeding my EtherREGEN via Fiber Optic cable connected to an inexpensive Ethernet to Fiber converter that I picked up on Amazon. Today I swapped that converter out for the Sonore Optical Module. I am powering it at 7 volts from an LPS 1.2. I believe I like what I am hearing. So swapping out a $54 adapter for a $299 adapter plus a $500 power supply sounds a little better. I still need to get a $300 power cable for the connection between the LPS and the Optical Module I suppose. Anyway, I went there.

1 Like

The single-mode experiment is a major success. In my system, better separation, some extra tightness in the bass and a more relaxing experiencing overall.

Well worth the relatively small investment.

Same for me. $52 to swap to single-mode including 3 different attenuators. No reason to not try it. fs.com

I was able to do without attenuators, just have to use shorter range optics.

Yes but found improvement with attenuators in place. Very inexpensive to try.

Interesting, which ones did you buy?

I believe they are 12dB. Tried 4 and 8 I think. $3 each. All from memory don’t quote me

Haha, thanks, I’ll give them a try.

What short range attenuators!

I tried 12dB which was a small uptick in my system. Then I changed my modules to Finisar which was a significant uptick. Removing the attenuators with the Finisars in place yielded no change.

TLDR: Finisar modules made a real difference in my system.

Where do you place these attenuators?
Do you have a link to them?

Also, what compatibility did you chose the cables to be?