Favorite Live sets from The Grateful Dead

AOXOMOXOA (50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION)

https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/50th-anniversary-shop/aoxomoxoa-50th-anniversary-deluxe-edition-2-cd-1.html

Disc One: Original 1969 Mix

1.     “St. Stephen”

2.     “Dupree’s Diamond Blues”

3.     “Rosemary”

4.     “Doin’ That Rag”

5.     “Mountains On The Moon”

6.     “China Cat Sunflower”

7.     “What’s Become Of The Baby”

8.     “Cosmic Charlie”

1971 Remix

1.     “St. Stephen”

2.   “Dupree’s Diamond Blues”

3.   “Rosemary”

4.   “Doin’ That Rag”

5.   “Mountains On The Moon”

6.   “China Cat Sunflower”

7.   “What’s Become Of The Baby”

8.   “Cosmic Charlie”

Disc Two: Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco (1/24-26/69)

1.     “New Potato Caboose”

2.     “Dupree’s Diamond Blues”

3.     “Doin’ That Rag”

4.     “Alligator”>

5.     “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)”>

6.     “Feedback”>

7.     “And We Bid You Goodnight”

8.     “Clementine”>

9.     “Death Don’t Have No Mercy”
1 Like

3/26-27/87 Hartford: Jerry on fire- solo in Bird Song lifts my spirits routinely

2 Likes

What’s your impressions of the new remix? Is it worth the $$$ over the original?

I’m looking forward to hearing the original, I’ve only ever heard an MP3 version, hard to judge how it fares in comparison to the more common remix.

Since the remix came out in 1971 I wouldn’t personally call it “New”. I personally have never heard the 1971 remix, that why I shared the link to the upcoming re release. For $25 I’m curious and excited to discover a little more Grateful Dead and the continued imagining that Gerry had for the album.

Below is what was changed on the 1971 remix. I’ll link the entire Wikipedia article for the album as well.

Second-guessing the end results, Garcia and Lesh went back in the studio in 1971 to remix the album, removing many parts present on the original release, including a choir singing on “Mountains of the Moon”, many difficult-to-identify sounds on “What’s Become of the Baby”, and an a cappella ending for “Doin’ that Rag,” dropped for an earlier fadeout. The remix also uses different vocal takes on some songs, most noticeably “Dupree’s Diamond Blues.” The result, with the same catalog number (WS1790) and perhaps brighter sound, but with much of the original’s experimental character removed, can be identified by the “Remixed September, 1971” legend on the back cover. Mistakenly, the song timings on the first (1987) CD release refer to the original mix, not the remix (varying most significantly on “Doin’ that Rag,” which was edited from 5:15 to 4:41, and “China Cat Sunflower,” edited from 4:15 to 3:40).

2 Likes

Fillmore East 1971 (“Ladies and Gentlemen…”) is far and away my favorite.

1 Like