Live concerts: most dearly missed / best attended / not yet heard, most important to attend in future

I thought it’s a fascinating topic to know about the personal view of others regarding the questions of this subject, so I start the game. I heard and and especially know from recordings really a lot of artists as probably most of you (I’ve seen Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Steely Dan, Stevie Wonder, Tower of power, Supertramp, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, Toto … just to mention a few big names in great concerts as well as dozens of classical performances) so our selections will be quite a message and quite an info about ourselves, so I look forward to your own inputs:

My most dearly missed (while theoretically I could have had a chance):

John Martyn:

One of my favorites not coming out of the jazz or classical section.Absolutely fascinating music, I have nearly every record including the one he sold just personally with his wife in his beginnings. He died too soon and probably rarely played outside UK. Who has heard him? I envy you!

Bob Berg (fusion saxophonist):

died in a car accident too soon

Mystikal:

Hard HipHop with usual lyrics, but great power. Fear he doesn’t play anymore but rests in jail somewhere

Vladimir Horowitz:

I think I could have had the chance to hear him live

My best attended:

Avishai Cohen formations (bassist)

Cassandra Wilson

Abdullah Ibrahim (aka Dollar Brand)

Esbjorn Svensson Trio

Dave Holland Trio

Barbara Boney with especially Thomas Hampson performing Mahler‘s songs

Paolo Fresu with a world music quintett

Cecil Taylor in duo with Buell Neidlinger

Terje Rypdal with a heavy fusion quartet

Jan Delay and Disco No. 1

Maria João and Mario Laghin

The Charles Mingus Big Band

Wagner/Flyng Dutchman/Bayreuth performance

Tomas Stanko Quartet

Santana

Mahler 8th Symphony don’t remember by whom

My not yet heard, most important to attend in future if I have a chance:

Fink (UK singer):

Wow, this is a hell of a musician, I must hear him live

Ahmad Jamal:

no need to explain

Masego and Dafuniks:

(two creative current HipHop artists)

A good Techno / Trance DJ performance

Classical Music:

Several Mahler Symphonies and Wagner Operas, organ or choir supported symphonies and some contemporary works I not yet heard live.

Since you mentioned Terje Rypdal, jazznut, I throw in this link for those unfamiliar with his music:

Last night - Track from Heat

I have many great concert memories and CD’s from his workings smiley-music005_gif

My favorite concert was the Jerry Garcia Band with The Grateful Dead being a close second.

My most memorable concert was Lollapalooza '91 (the original).

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jane’s Addiction, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Living Colour, Nine Inch Nails, Violent Femmes , Fishbone, Ice T & Body Count, Butthole Surfers, Rollins Band, Lords of Acid, EBN[5]

The most consistently good rock concerns are put on by Phish and Echo and The Bunnymen IMHO.

I attend three or four concerts a month, and play in at least a couple more. Most I attend are very good to excellent. Those in which I play exhibit greater variability.

I have particularly enjoyed hearing pieces played in the space for which they were originally written, such as Gabrielli performed in the Basilica San Marco, Bach in St. Thomas Church, Leipzig, etc.

Rhiannon Giddens. Any venue. She is amazing!!!

I saw her in the Disney Concert Hall a couple months ago and, OMG! She gave the acoustical masterpiece of that venue a run for its money.

1 Like
Frode said

Since you mentioned Terje Rypdal, jazznut, I throw in this link for those unfamiliar with his music:

Last night - Track from Heat

I have many great concert memories and CD’s from his workings

Ah Frode from Norway, you’re at the source…I wish I’d had the chance more often to hear Rypdal live. He is such a genious with fantastic melodies and spherical sounds on the one hand and brute force on the other. This really was one of the best concerts ever and like a drug intoxication (…probably is seeing the positive side of it only;-) I think it was with the group “Supersilent” (the name was not the motto of this concert :wink:

There are so many great artists from your country…Jan Bang…Bugge Wesseltoft…Arve Henricksen…Nils Petter Molvaer…

Elk said

…I have particularly enjoyed hearing pieces played in the space for which they were originally written…

This is indeed luxury…except a Wagner opera in Bayreuth I just once heard an italian opera in a greek amphitheater, which was not really where it belongs, but good enough!

1 Like

Japan in (de Stadsgehoorzaal, Leiden), King Crimson (n a tent (!) at the Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam both in the late 70-ties early 1980-ties?
Allan Holdsworth (Melkweg, Amsterdam), Pat Metheny (North Sea Jazz Den Haag), John Scofield ( with Gary Grainger!!!) Bim Huis, Amsterdam, Tribal Tech (in De Boerderij, Zoetermeer). More recent Michael Landau band

1 Like

One of my most favorite piano players: Yuja Wang

I often come to a concert on Melkweg, Amsterdam), (North Sea Jazz The Hague) more love from Denmark

I am in the category feeling young, but getting old… All artists I follow are in their seventies or passed away. Although open to all sorts of music, always returning to Zappa, Bill Bruford, John Scofield, Scott Henderson, Bill Frisell, Allan Holdsworth, Miles Davis (oh and Tom Waits!) - and Alex Machacek being a new (at least to me) discovery. I like his improv. style. and sound.

To return to topic, I like to go to live concerts to experience live playing. no dj’s please.

1 Like

I’m 60 years old and hear those you mention here. I will soon see enough South-city Rock on Melkweg, I think it is.

I am 59!

1 Like

Yeah I forgot to mention Tom Waits in my most important/not yet heard section! I dream of a concert like on the Nighthawks Live album!

I went to the Ed Sheeran concert at Optus Stadium Perth earlier this month. I said to my kids before the concert that if he didn’t perform Nina I’d want my money back. He didn’t perform Nina, and afterwards I felt absolutely no need for a refund. What a night. Brilliant.

I’m just leaving Ed Sheehan’s concert in Toronto. A guy a guitar and a full stadium. acoustics we’re dreadful but what a great concert. I highly recommend him.

Best Show: Santana, freshman year of college 1984
Palace Theatre, Albany, NY
Amazing show, met my future wife while pre-gaming in the parking lot before the show…

1 Like

I heard Santana easily 6-8 times in the 80s/90s. Those concerts were so great! Often different singers, but all good…very varying and interesting music and always different than on the albums…I‘m on holiday now but I have to listen to a few albums when I’m back, still love the music.

1 Like

Some of the most memorable include:
ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix, Santata
Little Feat with Bonnie Raitt in a smallish chapel - all wood construction. Fantastic acoustics.

Best ever attended: Grateful Dead outdoor performance at Vanderbilt Univ. 1973. Alembic “tie-die” sound system towers powered by stacks and stacks of McIntosh tube amps. Best sound at a rock concert venue ever. I remember at least some of it :wink:

In the here and now, if you like blues, you can’t go wrong with Joe Bonamassa.

here is DB from the concert in Amsterdam - which was voted the best concert in Holland in 2018

2 Likes