Firmware updates and fixes for the new Directstream MK2

I got a USB drive from PS Audio (many thanks) and I’m going to wait a week or two more before attempting to load it as the Mk2 and the M-1 fuse are just now “broken in” and I want to listen to it more in this stage before making further changes.

1 Like

After swearing off the 2.5.1 GUI and avoiding music streaming over a week due to nasty shrill harshness and flabby bass , I was getting out of the MK2 again. i decided to do the factory reset and reinstall the HDMI shorting plugs since 2.5.1 the bug that kills the i2S power off

Glad to report all is well sound wise again. Any word on new GUI firmware release?

Were you ever able to track down this weird one?

1 Like

@jamesh Well since both the Mk I and Mk II exhibit the same behaviour and swapping the inputs to the power amp doesn’t affect the R channel issue I can’t imagine it can be anything else but the Jeff Rowland itself somehow being sensitive to DSD ultrasonic noise just on one channel. Whether that indicates a circuit about to fail or not I have no idea.

Certainly a concern though, but converting DSD to PCM in Roon gets rid of the noise, it’s a shame I can’t play SACD’s via the PST but I don’t have may of those anyway.

Seems that people still want my “cheat sheet” for the DS Mk2 menus. Here is an updated link since the earlier one has maxed out on downloads: https://www.idrive.com/idrive/sh/sh?k=p0h8m6p6q8

5 Likes

Thank you again @magister for your work.

I have attached the PDF to this message which should work in perpetuity.

DS DAC Mk2 menu chart v2c_230502_092722.pdf (157.5 KB)

7 Likes

Thanks, Elk. I guess you can attach a PDF but regular users can’t. The ‘upload’ button only supports photo files (PDF is not an option). Or did I miss something?

You are correct on all counts.

I was quick enough this time to grab a download spot. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow! Excellent.

I rolled my MK2 back to firmware 173 and 2.3.0 for various reasons and was wondering if the the ground lift and shell lift features should be accessible and usable with those early beta firmware versions. I wasn’t planning on staying on these beta versions, but couldn’t remember when exactly those features were introduced and if I should still be seeing them available in the menu with this firmware installed. Maybe they were always there and I’m just forgetting, but for some reason I thought they were introduce later on.

The ground lifts work in all released versions. The automatic power off of I2S and USB has some confusing bugs.

3 Likes

Good to know. I had just forgotten that the galvanic isolation of individual inputs was an available feature in the original beta versions.

@tedsmith any news on the next release that fixes I believe 2.5.0 is what I have and held off on the 2.5.1 since it had a bug. That is still the latest right?

1 Like

I’m not privy to the day to day scheduling issues at PS Audio, but they should have started the next set of work items for the UI code. As always, day to day fire drills play havoc with accurate predictions.

4 Likes

oh thats right, thats the GUI, not the FPGA code. Sorry about that.

UI, not GUI ; ) (maybe call it GUI with the forum-member-contributed cheat sheet printout sitting alongside, but that’d be a stretch, haha)

1 Like

Thats my app dev background showing. Correct its a UI, its not graphical

2 Likes

@tedsmith Any ETA on the successor to 208-antero that keeps SQ but mitigates loud pops, ticks and white noise? I still running 198 since I experience those issues with 208.

It’s scheduled for inclusion with the next UI code. If the UI release slips too much, we’ll release the FPGA code on its own.

9 Likes

GUI and UI are the same thing. Graphical User Interface vs User Interface … last century vs this century.

3 Likes