Firmware updates and fixes for the new Directstream MK2

I had the same issue with a Terminator. When it blew one of my $1000 diamond dome tweeters it got fixed real fast.

3 Likes

jkrichards: “I had the same issue with a Terminator. When it blew one of my $1000 diamond dome tweeters it got fixed real fast.”

By removing the offending component?

They updated the firmware the next day after I sent them the bill for the replacement tweeter.

3 Likes

jkrichards: “They updated the firmware the next day after I sent them the bill for the replacement tweeter.”

My Maggie 20.7s – particularly the ribbons – are a bit touchy about such artifacts.

I agree with your sentiment. I have some videos up about this issue. Hopefully Ted will reach out

1 Like

I use a LUMIN U1 Mini streamer and noticed the pops and clicks diminished somewhat when I turned-off the LEEDH processing option. Other than the “pops and clicks”, the MK2 has me in awe. It might be interesting to know what streamers are associated with this issue.

1 Like

I have to say that in my setup I hear 0 ticks/ pops between songs at different sample rates and even between pcm and DSD files.
I’m running a Jriver usb to Denafrips Hermes DDC to i2s to the MK2.

1 Like

Maybe it’s the USB input causing issues?

No ticks or pops for me. Running a usb cable from my Roon Nucleus to the MK2.

1 Like

What is your setup?

The issue has been around for far longer then 20 days. The track record so far is not in your favor.

2 Likes

I’m good for now, having figured out what generates the issue.

I have very few ‘alternative sampling’ albums in my library, so I just won’t play them until a fix is released.

It’s not a big deal as long as I know how to avoid it.

The sonic advantage of the MK2 is so compelling that I wouldn’t think of sending it back, even if it maybe shouldn’t have been fielded in the current condition.

4 Likes

I can see your point. It would be a hassle to send it back and look for an alternative.

Don’t think so either. At least not for me. Working with a PST and Allo USBridge currently and running Roon.

2 Likes

I have an early production MK2, I received it 12-31-22. I had the pops when I first started using USB input after initially using the I2S input. It occurred when switching between PCM and DSD tracks. I could reproduce it easily at first but it gradually seemed to become less frequent. For me it still occurs but only once every couple of weeks that I notice. Ted had sent a preliminary update, FPGA 189. For me it was never very loud just enough to take my concentration from the music.

The MK2 is such an improvement SQ wise over the MK1 I am extremely satisfied and I’m confident the the minor issues will be resolved. There were constant improvements to the MK1 that were free downloads over the life of that product.

5 Likes

What did 189 fix for you?

Jeepers, Wally–

My Mk2 sounds great and doesn’t make strange noises in my system.

It just makes music.

I like it so much I bought it a Synergistic Master Fuse which it, in turn, seems to like very much.

–The Beav

4 Likes

Go you…

This was just to help with pops and ticks I believe. I can’t say for sure that it made a difference because it was already happening less often before the update. It almost seemed like the usb input needed breaking in. It happens so rarely now but has not completely disappeared. I heard it a week or so ago when Roon radio went to a DSD track from a PCM track. I could not duplicate it even with the same tracks.

1 Like

With so many members not having the ticks and popping issue makes me believe it’s actually an issue with only certain streamers / setups. Maybe it would benefit everyone if we made a dedicated topic on this. I also think it would help @tedsmith , PS Audio and the streaming manufacture in resolving it in a more efficient way. It seems that every DAC made has run across this issue before. At least that has been my experience.

2 Likes