Firmware updates and fixes for the new Directstream MK2

Ted posted a FPGA FW update was imminent.

Did you change the sound signature in the new firmware?

I’m not sure how to answer that. I never try to change the sound signature. I try to lower the noise floor, distortion, etc. I.e. make things more mathematically correct. If there’s a noticeable difference in sound it will be more faithful to the incoming signal.

20 Likes

Ted, every time you post this it makes me smile. Your approach is exactly as it should be IMO.

9 Likes

OK… Are you making any improvements in distortion / noise floor or SDM on this one?

Yes, but it’s not a new SDM and it probably only significantly affects DSD. You won’t be able to measure it.

3 Likes

OK… Thanks Ted. That’s good.

I wish I could give you 10 “likes” for this, Ted. Imagine, a pure technical / mathematical improvement that correlates to a (your track record speaks for itself) sonic improvement. Who’d a thunk? :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

When I first contemplated building a DAC for sale my biggest fear was how I would voice things. It seemed like an impossible task (for me anyway.) As it turned out, getting more and more correct “mathematically” always corelated with sonics that people (on average) liked better. It’s great to just concentrate on objective criteria to get better subjective performance. The trick, of course, is to pick objective criteria that matter for subjective performance :slight_smile:

21 Likes

It’s funny how it seems so few in the industry seem to do it this way. Everyone should search their memories to recall how many products are more purposefully “voiced”. Like they just aren’t quite as good as Ted at defining optimal objective criteria.

Pretty profound punditry…

:wink:

2 Likes

Amusingly Alliterative

5 Likes

Touche…

Great info, Ted. My Unit’s FPGA version is 179-Antero as you said, I am looking forward for the new FPGA code. So basically, we will be using the same method to upgrade it as with DS1, correct?!

Thanks.

Yes, the upgrade process will be very similar to the DS and DS Jr. Except you need to walk the menus to pick the specific FPGA release you want to install. If PS Audio doesn’t give instructions with the announcement I will.

5 Likes

Thank you very much, Ted. I am so glad that you are so prompt to answer questions in the forum, this is the greatest favor you are providing to your fans. You are a celebrity in the audio circle.

1 Like

Looks like PS Audio website is down.
This website www(dot)psaudio.com/products/directstream-dac-mk2/ is currently offline.
Web server is down Error code 521

Anyone else have this issue?

2 Likes

Yeah same here. I am hoping they are loading the new firmware…lol

Seems OK now.

seems it is, and no update with new code.