Firmware updates and fixes for the new Directstream MK2

I got mine set up yesterday - besides being more impressed with the sound than I expected to be, I would add my agreement for the following suggestions:

1. Fix the popping issue. Its not terrible but enough to be annoying. I am using a Roon ROCK server running on an Intel NUC connected directly to the MK2 via USB.

2. Larger display of the format (and smaller for the volume if necessary). I am connected to the BHK Pre so the volume is always at 100, so I really don’t care what the volume is but I do like seeing the format.

3. I’m a little confused about what Ted is saying on firmware updates. I think he’s saying that this next one will require a USB stick but going forward it will be done via the network. Besides wondering why that would be the case, it seems fine to me, if I am reading that right.

David

1 Like

The USB firmware update will always be an option, but for many (most?) updating over the net is more convenient and/or more reliable. The Wi-Fi/net input update isn’t ready quite yet so the USB will have to be used for the first update or two.

3 Likes

I don’t have Ethernet available at my system location and the MK2 DAC won’t connect to WiFi. Other devices, laptop phone and TV connect to WIFI in the same location.

Anybody having WiFi problems?

Apparently asynchronously with releasing the FPGA there’s an update of the web site going on. I guess we’ll have to see how things go, the new FPGA release probably won’t go live until Monday or so. Sorry for the confusion.

4 Likes

WiFi and Ethernet are not working yet. Not with the launch FW. Updates will be via USB for now.

1 Like

Crying GIFs | Tenor

5 Likes

My DS2 has successfully connected to my home wifi since I installed it…in early November. I did have to try it a couple times…and the wifi password entry process is cumbersome…but it works. But, as Ted points out, wifi update is not yet available from PS.

Thanks for the info. I discovered 2 identically named 2.4 networks listed. One does not connect and one connects successfully. Things that make you go…hmmm.
Anybody know how to remove one from the list? No other device finds 2 identically named SSIDs.

1 Like

My PST presents, functions the same way my DS DACmk2 does regarding WiFi. The second SSID in the list connects correctly.

This covered some months ago in another thread.
Thought I’d try and save a bit of time by asking about it now.

When I was using a Matrix device from nucleus to MK2 via I2S I got a green light on the MK2.

IM now using a Silent Angel M1T in place of the Matrix and now the light is red.

Can anyone refer me to where this was discussed recently or sum it up for me?
Thank you

The green or red light on I2S is an indicator of a cable hooked up to a PS Audio compatible I2S device. Not all I2S devices hook up all signals that PS Audio expects and arguably the connection used to detect a plugged in device is the least important connection.

There’s (or was?) a bug in the UI that doesn’t display the sample rate when the light is red, but otherwise things work fine with a red light and it’s nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

Thx Ted
Silent angel ships with PSAudio config…they say…but sounds like it’s not an issue
Really appreciate the response

FPGA 198 Antero is up in the download section of this site. It’s in the “PerfectWave DirectStream DAC MK2 v2.3.6” package.

The “How to Upgrade DSD MK2 firmware.txt” file contains the update instructions in section 2. (The instructions say the version screen should say “178-Beta SS”, but instead it should say “198-Antero”.)

I just want to add that I’m not done with stomping pops, and if I (or you) find any, I’ll try to get those in the April release.

[Edit: - A few updates: Use FAT32 on your USB stick. And you may need to turn off the Mk II before you put the USB in, and then turn it back on to get it to read the list of FPGA releases off of the USB stick.]

11 Likes

Thank you, Ted!

198-Antero installed but getting severe ticks when I pause / play track via Roon. If I set volume on MK2 to 0, no ticks; setting to 1 or above ticks.

Also get ticks when changing Roon volume.

I used to get quieter tick on 178 but only between tracks (whether I initiated track change or album playing from track to track. Those appear to be gone with this build but will test further.

Using Roon ROCK on NUC, —> ethernet → Bluesound Node (temp until Airlens arrives!) → Optical (ditto) → MK2

Not a big deal as I just usually play albums BUT worse than the 178 build overall for me, especially volume changing.

Will try a coax between streamer and MK2 tomorrow. I may also try a Roon ROCK re-boot tomorrow…get a fresh load of everything

Thanks, Dave

Thanks. What volumes on the DAC are you typically running?

1 Like

85 all the time.

p.s. just changed the volume via Node streamer and got no ticks! Then tried Roon volume and problem disappeared. Still getting play / pause toggle ticks.

Again, will try complete system re-boot tomorrow.

Thanks for everything, Ted. Great DAC…stunning actually. Even Redbook sounds great.

85, Good. When you mentioned volumes of 0 and 1 on the DAC I just had to make sure :slight_smile:

Are the play/pause ticks the same level as FPGA 179?

2 Likes

I downloaded it to a USB and went through the process. The version was updated from 2.3.3. to 2.3.6, but FPGA is still 179, 198 did not show up. I am not sure what I did wrong. Did anyone else has this problem?

Did you follow the instructions in section 2 on how to install the FPGA code? Updating from 2.3.3 to 2.3.6 is good, but unrelated to this FPGA 198 only release.

2 Likes