Foam packing

5 Likes

Clever.

I suspect most of us have received packages with the commercial squishy version of this protecting the stuff inside.

1 Like

Good idea, just want to make sure you use the correct type and quantity of expanding foam. If the foam expands too much, it could damage the contains. I would experiment with a product first before trying it on an expensive piece of gear

2 Likes

I’ve received equipment packaged with this molded foam only a couple of times over the years. I’m surprised more manufacturers don’t use it. It can provide a 100 percent coverage foam cocoon. I’m strongly of the belief molded total coverage packaging is the ultimate defense against the gorillas.

1 Like

Great thread!

15 years ago I’d received one of JL Audio’s Stealthbox enclosures packed very much the same way. Since it was a contoured shape, it made the most sense. A great idea, because you don’t get any movement out of the item, there are no fragile styrofoam brackets to fit back only a certain way and if done properly, you’ll only need 2 pieces for a snug fit.

I too have received items shipped in this manner, but mostly in the past.

Did anyone read past this article to the comments section?
There seemed to be a very loud chorus of warnings concerning the toxicity to both human health and the environment, as well as to the actual durability for shock protection.

One reader posted the MSDS specs from the DOW chemical product version.
Needles to say, they’re not ingredients I’d be too happy inhaling, or handling to any degree.
I will add that I did not go any further to verify the veracity of the claims; but judging from DOW’s past track record in these areas, I would lean more towards the side of the naysayers in this case.

Perhaps, expediency and convenience are not always worth the actual price

2 Likes

The dose makes the poison. If you manage the product in accordance with the information provided in the MSDS, there should be little to no risk to the consumer.

There are always exceptions of course.

3 Likes