Focal Speakers: Aria, Kanta, Sopra

There are other forums out there where people LOVE the sound of their b&w 8xx series driven by tubes. If a CJ tube preamp doesn’t help tame the brightness that o.p. mentions with his speakers, nothing will.

Depending on budget, I would try to listen to Dynaudio Contour series (their best value for money), or Confidence series (their high end series). They still design their own drivers and fabric tweeters (Esotar). Hopefully you can find a dealer close enough to you.

If the Sopra 2’s at $21k a pair are the top of his price range there are literally dozens of really good speakers available that don’t fall on that side of neutral like B&W and Focal. It just means either getting out and listening and driving or trusting actual owners and not relying on reviews from the “big” publications.

I still feel left out.

4 Likes

Well said. I thought he wanted to listen.

Your mate would be my friend too! I love the Dyns.

1 Like

B&W is often paired with Classè because B&W owned Classè and now Sound United owns them both. But yes I agree McIntosh is also popular with B&W because both are the dealers marquee brands and everyone is drawn to the green and blue lights.

Sound United is owned by Massimo Medical. Maybe we will start hearing the bright Diamond tweeters on monitoring equipment. Lol

I would have to agree with this one. I bought my 2’s used, so no issue there, but I got my center new and boy it was what I would call bad at first. I could see it on the graph of ARC. But it calmed down a ton as I used it. But if he had demos maybe they had hours on them. Try Magico for the same money and see if you like those. Softer sound but plenty of detail.

But I am not sure I have heard anyone call B&W bright before. So something is bothering you in the high range.

1 Like

You haven’t seen too many forum post then because it’s well documented that when B&W made the switch to the Diamond tweeter most find the Diamond line leans heavily toward the bright side. I have even heard @Paul say they are a little to bright for his liking. The D4 IMO is a different story. B&W has found a way to squeeze more bass out of the speaker and tame the bright tweeters. For the price they are hard to beat.

I do not follow the B&W line that much so not surprised that I did not know that sound change.

1 Like

I have Focal Aria 948s…with my system’s gear they are
beautifully detailed very sensitive to system changes, for the
better part revealing improvements as I tweak my system.

Now when burning in new fuses (SR Blue, Orange and Purple
fuses) the 948s can be temporarily tolerably strident. Once
the burn in process is accomplished…Oh my oh my
how sweet my Aria 948s. Arias singing aria after aria… purely
delightful and mesmerizing.

Sometime back with the SR Oranges in my P15, Parasound JC5
and Wyre4Sound STP SE Stage 2 preamp…amazingly the whole
system got so mellow…

My .02 is that Focals reflect the quality of gear employed with them.

Hope my experience helps shed some light on Focals…

Happy journey
Best wishes

1 Like

Ain’t nutting wrong with your Sopras…trade you my 948s for your
Sopras… :innocent: :grinning:

Would be extremely difficult to top your Sopras at the pricepoint.

Don’t get hung up with the fomo syndrome…you have very desireable
speakers!!!
Hang in there Vince!!!

Best wishes

2 Likes

well said

1 Like

You bring up a very good point. I know that there are folks on this forum who own Dynaudio and others who own Focal. I would be very interested in knowing what equipment they have paired with them, and if they currently use, or have used, PS Audio gear with them. And one last question, would you be interested in ever listening to the Deville Fleetwood’s that are currently being marketed.

Hey DuneKidd

Click on my profile and see my gear listed there…

Best wishes

1 Like

Very nice set up. Thanks for that. :+1:

1 Like

PSA PP3, SGCD, M700s into Aria 948s. Quite happy.

2 Likes

BHK Pre, BHK 250, DS DAC, P20, Stellar Phono Pre, Sonore Signature Rendu SE and a M1200 for Center Channel duties. I use the Home Theater Bypass in the Pre so there’s home theater gear too.

1 Like

I was just being silly. I really like my non-bright Sopra 2. But I am still thinking about a pair of MBL Radialstrahler 116 F.

5 Likes

Vince…you silly? Gwan…I scarce believe it :grin: :grinning: :innocent:

Those MBL are amazing but then again so are the Focal UTOPIA III EVO…

Hey Vince best wishes and happy journeying!!