From Stereophile.com 4/2/19

Too funny one in the other ear and you get Stereo, totally tubular :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s how it is here, if you donā€™t have the same attitude you just skip or get bullied ā€¦ nothing new under the sun lol

Michaelā€¦trueā€¦just disappointed in continued the lack of professionalismā€¦

1 Like

5 Likes

Amen brother!!!

My garden is getting Easter yellow

Snork - Gud findes ikke

Today I keep PS audio demo at home privately ā€¦ maybe there was something from the marketing department that sent a PS audio shirt and hat free lol

In Elkā€™s defense, I will say a few things:

He does tons of good work here out of the goodness of his heart (for free)

He is mind-bogglingly fair overall, and rarely rises to any bait

We all get worked up on occasion - most of us more often than Elk, particularly given his level of exposure

Just about everything stated above by all posters about Brodric is true - heā€™s thoughtful, contributes a lot of good things, is a benefit to the Community, has a lot of experience with a godforsaken amount of gearā€¦but the DMP thing really was a special case - both in terms of the the apparent variability of units and his inability to let the horse be well and truly dead - even after (finally, mercifully) selling it years after the fact. Not sure if weā€™ve heard from the guy he sold it to here on the Forums yet. That would be an interesting piece of info. We know that perceived functional performance of the DMP varies with use case. We still donā€™t know if his was in fact a HW lemon. (please update if known)

At least two years ago, I (and others) can recall asking why he didnā€™t return it to PS as a lemon. I believe he claimed the shipping was prohibitive. This from a guy with his own popular thread here about his Very Costly stereo system. Instead, he kept it under the bed until the next FW update came along, and when that did not fix everything (seemingly ignoring the extent to which it may have been a hardware lemon) would beat the Horse again. It became clear over time that this was a Mission of sorts to prove that the DMP was not what was originally claimed (certainly true in some respects) - but based, AFAIK on a single unit - which most folks would have returned in the first months.

I adopted a philosophy toward the DMP early on (still have my beta unit) that I didnā€™t care about most of the issues, because I primarily wanted the SQ it provides, along with the ability to play SACDs via i2s and high res recordings and downloads burned to DVD-ROM. I donā€™t use cover art, and rarely use track navigation and various other aspects that have been problematic. If it werenā€™t so unique in several respects and deliver such great SQ for the money, it wouldā€™ve gone back long ago for me as well. I think nearly unanimously folks did not have issues with the SQ. Indeed, as I recall, Brodric found it at least competitive with his other spinner/DAC rigs costing many multiples of the cost of the DMP.

So - apologies iron - clearly big, long-term can of well-stewed worms youā€™re stirring here ; )

Also, apologies Brodric - feel free to respond - seems like piling on, but if I or anyone else posts extensively/repeatedly and/or passionately on a subject, it tends to be reflected back to you at some point. My impression is that most Forum dwellers constitute a sort of Silent Majority. Some of the more thoughtful people Iā€™ve met never post. What may be a common thread hereabouts is that most people donā€™t like reading too much conflict. So - having ended up writing a Soundmind-length post - apologies, all : )

5 Likes

More love ā€¦ELK is good enough

More love

1 Like

Ron, you misunderstand and have missed the point.

We are delighted to read contrasting viewpoints. Members are actively encouraged to post ideas which challenge.

This thread is a great example. NB: Early on I reassured the OP he should indeed post articles critical of a PS Audio product if he would like to do so.

All views are welcome. No one has been castigated for expressing an unpopular view. However, we do not tolerate insulting behavior, name calling, thread crapping, etc.

I appreciate you hold a grudge as you have been told not to violate these standards of appropriate behavior. Thus, I expect you to be critical as you have been in the past. But please give some thought to the balance we attempt to achieve and consider also there is a long history here of which you are likely unaware as a newer member.

Carry on, everyone!

1 Like

At some point in history - if I recall correctly, and unless Iā€™m confused with somebody else from your part of the world (which might be the case), werenā€™t you cursing black and blue at your PS stuff, you were calling it junk and demanding a refund, etc? Iā€™m glad, it seems things have come full circle for you. If in fact it was you.

There are day-to-day variations, sometimes hourly as far as I remember :wink:

I have learned to live with the mistakes I had on the system. I use my Dac as volume control. That means I screw up my PS audio pre over half strengths and regulate the power via dac. Then I wonā€™t let go of the short click ā€¦ or I only hear them twice when I turn on and off. MHT to power then I have the agreement with my dealer to if PS audio does not run up for their server and run before July. then my money comes back

More love Denmark

So just one more thing. I love the sound of my PS audio equipment. My system plays quite imaginatively with the speakers I have now.

I thought they were aiming for end of year for the server? I must admit, I havenā€™t been following the latest on that as I have virtually no interest in this product.

3 Likes