Getting Oppo DSD Output to the Direct Stream Dac

Paul, when you say that “There’s no way to get true DSD out of the Oppo.” I’m assuming you mean out of the Oppo’s coax connection? That’s true because as I understand it Oppo didn’t want to pay the licensing fees to Sony to do so.

It’s not just the licensing fees. Sonly does not allow transmission of DSD off an SACD unless it’s encoded so it can only be played on an approved and licensed device. That’s why the need for the handshake that only lets the PWT II work with the DS. The Vanity guys are presumably trying to fly under the radar.

Thank you for the clarification Steve. So when the Oppo outputs SACD over HDMI to an A/V pre/pro or to a receiver then the manufacturer of these devices has been approved by Sony and licensed as well. Presumably the approval goes together with the licensing fee.

TarnishedEars said
That's a very exciting announcement Paul! Although I beg to differ with you on the point that there is no way to get true DSD out of an Oppo. The Vanity HD card will indeed output true DSD via DoP when installed inside of an Oppo 103. I know for a fact that this is true because I use mine this way every single day.
Indeed - I should have said there's no way to get it out unless you take the unit apart and add the Vanity board. But there's much more that can be done with the new transport than you get out of the vanity board - and that's the advantage of starting from scratch and building your own transport.
Joe Appierto said Thank you for the clarification Steve. So when the Oppo outputs SACD over HDMI to an A/V pre/pro or to a receiver then the manufacturer of these devices has been approved by Sony and licensed as well. Presumably the approval goes together with the licensing fee.
Yes, and the downside to DSD over HDMI is the stream is encoded such that only a Sony enabled DAC can play it back - and while Sony makes great stuff, DACs that sound like DirectStream ain't one of them.

With the release of the DST that changes.

Paul, will the new DST be able to work with other Sony licensed DACs such as the dCS Vivaldi? Or are these licensing deals essentially closed systems where the DAC and Transport have to come from the same manufacturer?

Can you reveal who you are sourcing the transport mechanism from? I’ve been reading that many of the Asian manufacturers are existing the CD/SACD transport business and that there will be a shortage of these mechanisms in the future.

No, it will only work with PS Audio DACs. It is our own encryption.

The drive is from Oppo and they, in turn, buy from a Japanese company that makes drives specific for them. It’s a gorgeous mechanism.

“It’s a gorgeous mechanism.”

Is it Esoteric gorgeous…4_gif

As in Teac/Tascam?

Shh . . . Don’t let the anti-pro gear audiophiles know.

Elk. I had the TEAC/Esoteric VRDS in my Wadia 861se and it was a beast… A true work of art in the transport world. 41_gif

Just adding an update.

Ok, I agree I am not getting the DSD signal out of the Oppo with the adapter but I am getting the digital signal in 24 bit /88.2 Hz PCM. The sound quality is awesome!

I have compared my PCM/Tascam recordings to HD Tracks downloads and my recorded versions sound a lot better!

Can’t you just have the Oppo convert the DSD to PCM without using the cheap Chinese switch? My 105 can convert DSD to PCM and then send it over coaxial/optical to the DS. Just have to make sure that coaxial/optical is set to bitstream in the Oppo settings.

radioclash said Can't you just have the Oppo convert the DSD to PCM without using the cheap Chinese switch? My 105 can convert DSD to PCM and then send it over coaxial/optical to the DS. Just have to make sure that coaxial/optical is set to bitstream in the Oppo settings.
That's exactly what I do with my 105D and it handles files up to 192/24.
radioclash said Can't you just have the Oppo convert the DSD to PCM without using the cheap Chinese switch? My 105 can convert DSD to PCM and then send it over coaxial/optical to the DS. Just have to make sure that coaxial/optical is set to bitstream in the Oppo settings.
If you want to play unencrypted DSD files from a hard drive, then this approach might work. But if you want to play SACDs directly, then you will need some additional hardware to pull this off.

Copying the SACD PCM files to the Tascam to add to my hardrive is not possible without the adapter. And quite honestly the Chinese adapter does not look cheap, it’s just inexpensive in price.

Putting all of my SACD’s onto my hardrive and being able to play them with my Bryston BDP-2 with all of my others Hi-Rez downloads is very enjoyable. Those 24/192 PCM recordings sound better than down loaded HD tracks.

Okay, that makes sense then. I am with you on the HD tracks. Some are very good, but most… not so much.

I’m sure that I’m missing something obvious here but aren’t SACD files, by definition, DSD in nature and not PCM? Are you talking about the CD layer of the SACD or some type of DoP process?

No it is not the CD layer.

The Oppo can convert the SACD output to PCM output. The signal going into my Direct Stream shows 24/88.2Hz PCM.

Sorry, Ozzy, I misunderstood you. My Oppo does the same thing when porting a SACD’s output via coax to the DS DAC. It shows as 88.2/24. And as you said the SACD output setting for the Oppo needs to be PCM.

Sorry, Ozzy, I misunderstood you. My Oppo does the same thing when porting a SACD’s output via coax to the DS DAC. It shows as 88.2/24. And as you said the SACD output setting for the Oppo needs to be PCM.

How do you think it sounds?