DoP output from an OPPO

There is a simple modification that can be done to an OPPO that will allow native DSD playback direct into the PS Audio DS DAC.

http://www.audiopraise.com/forum/read.php?11,503

Jesus R

Now that would be interesting …

J

any update on this?

http://www.audiopraise.com/forum/read.php?11,444

It violates all kinds of legal agreements. Maybe people will just jump in and do it … although I cannot endorse that action or have anything to do with it as an official of the company so… I have to make you all aware this is illegal. What you do in your own systems is not my business, right?devil_gif

gordon said J

any update on this?

Vanity103 Lite available from JVB Digital

Gordon, the post you are referring to is for the Vanity103 Lite. The DoP firmware announcement is for the Vanity103 HD. These are two different boards as far as I can tell. There is a manual online and after referring to it there appears to be two on board switches that set the compatibility of the S/PDIF output. Anyway, these are questions for Audiopraise…

Jesus R

Paul McGowan said Now that would be interesting ...
It would really interesting if it does multichannel...

Jesus R

Paul McGowan said It violates all kinds of legal agreements. Maybe people will just jump in and do it ... although I cannot endorse that action or have anything to do with it as an official of the company so... I have to make you all aware this is illegal. What you do in your own systems is not my business, right?
I'm not an attorney so don't count on me for legal advise....

Jesus R

J

mi hermano tiene su DS ahora. En Doral

gordon said J

mi hermano tiene su DS ahora. En Doral

email me his contact info…I’m curious to try the new SSR with it.

Jesus R

The Oppo based EC EMP3 does multichannel DSD over HDMI - I think I should just mention it.

However, it cost more than the Oppo 103

Frode said The Oppo based EC EMP3 does multichannel DSD over HDMI - I think I should just mention it.

That is completely different and will not work into the PS Audio DAC. That solution is meant to go into a compatible receiver and or processor. BTW good luck trying to figure out if it’s really native DSD playback inside the receiver and or processor.

Jesus R

vortecjr said
Frode said The Oppo based EC EMP3 does multichannel DSD over HDMI - I think I should just mention it.

That is completely different and will not work into the PS Audio DAC. That solution is meant to go into a compatible receiver and or processor. BTW good luck trying to figure out if it’s really native DSD playback inside the receiver and or processor.

Jesus R

That’s correct, and this means we can close the loop by repeating my original statement ‘too bad the DS does not support HDMI audio’

There is reason why no hi end audio company has done this:)

Jesus R

vortecjr said There is reason why no hi end audio company has done this:)

Jesus R

Well, I consider both Cary Audio and Electrocompaniet as High End brands.
Frode said

Jesus R

Your missing point. Show me a DAC or an integrated amp made by either of those two companies with an HDMI input. You just have to look at the back of the EC EMP3 to see that the mods are primarily to the analog output. The fact is that the HDMI output on the EC EMP3 is for AV use. Manufacturers of audiophile gear are using SPDIF, AES/EBU, Toslink, USB input and to a small degree some kind of i2s in one of several formats, but not HDMI.

Jesus R

vortecjr said
Frode said

Jesus R

Your missing point. Show me a DAC or an integrated amp made by either of those two companies with an HDMI input. You just have to look at the back of the EC EMP3 to see that the mods are primarily to the analog output. The fact is that the HDMI output on the EC EMP3 is for AV use. Manufacturers of audiophile gear are using SPDIF, AES/EBU, Toslink, USB input and to a small degree some kind of i2s in one of several formats, but not HDMI.

Jesus R

So why are they not doing it?

It is built into the DAC chips for those non-FPGA based DACs so it won’t take a lot of efforts, normally.

Is it because of license cost or lesser audio quality?

Frode said
vortecjr said
Frode said

Jesus R

Jesus R

It is built into the DAC chips for those non-FPGA based DACs so it won’t take a lot of efforts, normally.

I would think because of cost, audio quality, complexity and so on. HDMI support is not built into the DAC chips…

vortecjr said
Frode said

I would think because of cost, audio quality, complexity and so on. HDMI support is not built into the DAC chips…

Licensing sucks too: HDMI/HDCP has significant upfront cost. It’s easier to amortize for bigger companies or for video products since usually you can sell more video devices than audio only devices. There are some nice not too expensive HDMI receiver chips out there that cleanly strip the audio out into I2S, DSD, etc. from an HDMI input but getting decryption keys to use with them involves getting HDMI licenses. Without the license, you can get the dummed down audio (usually 48k for DVD-A and 88.2 for DSD) But that’s not what people expect with a DSD DAC with HDMI inputs.

The NAD M51 DAC has HDMI input and retails at $1500. I wonder how they do it?

vortecjr said
I would think because of cost, audio quality, complexity and so on. HDMI support is not built into the DAC chips....
Are you sure about this? It doesn't match up with my reading (Cary):

Also, I understand that SACD is proprietary Sony, watermarked and licenced, but is transport of native DSD between devices considered the same and thus have the same restrictions?

I guess HDCP applies to non-audio, so unless the HDMI port doesn’t pass video the missing EDID implementation should not pose a problem.

Edit;

I agree that DAC chips doesn’t support any physical HDMI ports, just the format.

So you will need an interface card of some kind that many brands support already.