Getting Oppo DSD Output to the Direct Stream Dac

Thanks for the reply. I hope you get/feel better soon!

Hi Highstream and Veneet,

everything with my Oppo and the board worked at the end but my Oppo always lost the configuration for video :rage:.

I only was frustrated behause I always Hader to change the whole configurations.

Meanwhile I have the ultimate solution: Oppo for video and Memory Player for Musik :grinning:.

Now everything runs without any changes.

Thanks again for your help.

Roman

Oppomod i2s output board works great.
Uses existing ribbon cable from internal dac, install in it’s place or use supplied cable to connect to that to use i2s boards passthrough.
Sounds noticeably better than SPDIF I was using before.

1 Like

Good to hear. What I’ve been unable to find out so far from Oppomod users is the tonal quality of the Oppomod mods, i.e., warm and liquid vs. “neutral” (cooler). You’ve only added one piece, a peripheral, but even hearing about its tonal quality would be helpful.

1 Like

I am new to this and have a PWD mk2 will one of these Chinese cards let me use a Oppo 103 HDMI out to the HDMI input on the PWD and if so is there any benefit over the coax in thanks
Mike

Not a simple answer. In principle, I2S should be better than coax. In practice, I would say it depends on the combination of 1) the HDMI to I2S card you’re using, i.e., the cheaper cards on eBay or something like Oppomod’s (which I haven’t heard, but should be better); 2) the sonic quality of the HDMI cable(s) you use with the card; and 3) the sonic qualities of the coax cable you compare the I2S setup to. The advantage of the I2S set up is that it should be less expensive than a good coax and you don’t have to change the 103’s settings to play DSD files.

thanks Highstream just was not sure that they would work with the PWD but i will buy one and give it a try

I had to check a photo of the PWD to make sure it has I2S inputs. Think of it as you are using the 103’s HDMI output and converting it via the card to something else that the PWD can accept.

Can you get a DSD output on your IS2 card to the Directstream?

While we invented the I2S protocols used over HDMI and freely distribute them for use by any company that wants to use them that doesn’t always mean they did it right. Just don’t be too disappointed if the two don’t line up and work properly. Many do, but we constantly deal with upset customers who blame us for the problems with I2S with out gear.

Sorry for going off topic, but have any Oppo users found the ‘pure audio’ setting to make any noticeable difference in sound quality?

Paul, I’m of course not hearing the complaints your staff gets, but think the discussion in this thread has shown that the boards mentioned here do work with the PSA dacs. The boards on eBay need a spot de-soldered to stop the dac’s de-emphasis flag from being tripped with PCM, or pin 15 on the cable connector to be taped. That was raised earlier on with your techs. Those encountering that problem should be referred here. I should know but am forgetting if the DSD channel reversal on those cards has been solved yet. The Oppomod card was expressly designed for PSA dacs and the report here and on another thread says it works very well in all respects. And one user has tried the card being mentioned in conjunction with the Vanity card mod to the Oppo and says that works well, better sonically when video is turned off via the remote.

I’ve most of the Oppomods done to my player actually as well as a few of my own and can say that every one of them has noticeably improved things.

Linear PSU
i2s Output board
BD Drive stabiliser
TCXO Femto clock (soon)
and others.

Sound quality is very neutral, not hifi sounding in anyway, if the track is less mastered than perfect you’ll hear it, and vice versa.

The biggest takeaway is that there’s a strong sense of the “signal getting through” unhindered?
You can just “tell” higher level digital kit from lesser so, a ten seconder as Paul called it.
With i2s to Directstream from Oppo, it’s one of those.
I ordered and fitted a 0.3m Bluejeans HDMI cable today and holey moley, the i2s connection really benefits from a short good quality cable.

Compared to stock Oppo over coaxial to DS, you don’t know what was being taken away…until with i2s it’s taken away.

Theres an Oppo 103 version Mike, so no problem.

Yup,
The card outputs DSD to Directstream no problem from SACD disks and DSD files over USB.
It does what it says on the tin, so to speak.

The thing with the Oppomod card is that its been specifically designed for The Oppo players, Im not sure if all the others have been?

Yes, radioclash, I can consistently hear the change between engaging and disengaging pure audio on both my Oppo BDP-83 and the Oppo BDT-101 built into the PS Audio DMP. It’s subtle and I probably can’t walk into the room and tell if it’s off or on, but you can certainly hear it when you toggle between the two settings. I have not experimented the setting on my 205 yet.

1 Like

Yup, gotcha maybe my comment was pointed more towards the luring few who will take that success as a clear indicator everything advertising I2S compatibility isn’t. There’s a few Chinese boards out there that work marginally well with the PWT but not at all with DMP.

Do they do a 205 version?

Does who have a 205 version? All the cards discussed work with both models, I believe, since contributors have both. With Oppomod, you may have to choose which one on ordering.

How difficult is it to install these cards?