Good Movies

“You’re not my accountant.” :rofl:

1 Like

Saw it a long time ago and while no specific memory the feeling is I liked it. Just added it to My List. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just finished it. An enjoyable two hours. Thank you, again.

1 Like

Just saw The Alpinist. The documentary about camera shy free-solo climber Marc-Andre Leclerc. Sensational. The number of firsts in free-solo mountaineering he accomplished in his short 25 years is mind boggling. Including climbing Cerro Torre (the Corkscrew route, never before attempted solo) and Torre Egger in winter. He completed the Torre Egger solo climb, ascent and descent, in19 hours carrying no bivouac gear. The footage blows my mind. Getting it had to be as dangerous as the climbing itself. Limited distribution. Seek it out if you can while it’s still showing on the big screen. Wow.

Losey’s film The Servant is absolutely brilliant. Written by Harold Pinter, a great cast led by Dirk Bogarde, music by John Dankworth and Cleo Lane. Bogarde then went on to make Death in Venice with Visconti, another magnificent film, one of the most beautiful to look at.

I think my favourite film is Babette’s Feast.

My favourite actress is Catherine Deneuve, perhaps her best film was Belle du Jour, a truly great movie by Bunuel, one of many, including The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie featuring Stephane Audran who later made Babette’s Feast.

1 Like

Holy crap. I just watched “Promising Young Woman”. It damaged me.
I am ashamed to be male at this moment.

Really sad the bad guy was named Al.

If you are male and haven’t watched it, don’t.

1 Like

I won’t, Thanks Al. :+1:

2 Likes

It is actually an excellent film. The subject matter is so very troubling though. Yikes!

3 Likes

Yup - t’was a good film. If you’re already trauma’d from that - try Oldboy (Superb Korean Film) or Dear Zachary - Documentary. Stephen King couldn’t write a story like that.

3 Likes

Watched it. Agree, wicked good film. Shame? Not a bit of it. Gets me on my soapbox about how men are being depicted at the moment. I’m not one of those jerks. None of the males in my circle are. Also gets me asking where the film depicting what females think of men as hunks of meat behind closed doors is. Anyway. Now off my soapbox. Feel better already. Everyone see it and decide for yourselves.

2 Likes

It’s a very good film thanks to Carey Mulligan. Watched her subsequent film “The Dig” a couple of nights ago, for the third time. Beautiful film, lovely part of the world, great performance by Ralf Fiennes.

1 Like

I am going to re-watch “Old Boy”. I recall liking it.

1 Like

Two of my favorite gangster films from the 1930’s :

And the original [ step aside Al Pacino ]

2 Likes

Based on your preference for those two you may enjoy this as well.

2 Likes

Oh boy…we could really spin off on a tangent!
I love films, like I love music. A never ending plunge down rabbit hole for me.

So here we go down the rabbit hole, top ten films. Only criteria is they are from the 20th Century. I do like foreign films and appreciate quality B&W as well. to start things off in no particular order:

2 Likes

Excellent choice and one I enjoy every time I view it.

Here’s one that’s a bit older. Aside from Fritz Lang’s “Metropolis”, it was the expressionist style sets and artwork, along with everything else about it, that made me a fan.

1 Like

Speaking of Fritz Lang, his absolutely creepiest is:

1 Like

Wim Wenders’ Paris Texas, a story of self imposed isolation, redemption and reconciliation. Eight to go.

3 Likes

Along those same lines…

Jack doing what Jack does best.

3 Likes