HDMI connection problem - audiobyte black dragon I2S HDMI compatibility problem?

I’m trying to connect my PWT with Black Dragon DAC through HDMI port.

No way to make it works.

Also tried changing PWT firmware with all the three available, no results.

Tried to change HDMI cable (Monster 1000 or standard cheap one), either no results

All the other connections work as they should on red book cd.

I sent an email both to psaudio support and audiobyte as well, still waiting for reply.

Is there someone that could help me with some suggestion or that have experiencies with HDMI connection.

I doubt about compatibility, even i read they should.

Of course, at list, a foult could have accour to one unit…is there any chance to check before sending to service for inspection?

thank’s and best regards to all of you

I am not familiar with the Black Dragon DAC but if it uses a true HDMI port then you cannot connect to a PWT using an HDMI cable. The PWT, PWD, DS and NuWave Phono Converter use HDMI cables so send I2S signals but they are not HDMI compatible.

EDIT: I just looked up the Black Dragon and it does use the HDMI connector for I2S so it should work as long as the pin assignments are the same. Others on the board who have experience with this might be more helpful.

It’s not the cable, but I don’t believe that the DAC in use is set up to accept the I2S that the PWT is sending out. Between the PWT and the DS or PWD any HDMI cable works, but that is because the receiving end can accept the I2S. . . .

I just looked at the specs for the DAC and it does say DSD/I2S over HDMI. . . may not use the same protocol as PS Audio has written. Looks as if it could or should work otherwise. . . hopefully you’ll hear back from the support staff.

Thank’s for support.

Any practical advice for testing PWT hdmi output (tester or anything else)?

There are HDMI cable testers, but the only way I know to test a port is to connect it with a good cable to something that you know responds to HDMI. Not very helpful in this case.

Please let us know what the support people from each company tell you.

Yes, i will.

Actually it is quite strange that guys at PS Audio never answer to me. i almost send three mails to them during last 6 month, but never got an answer.

i will keep you informed

[Hi, capiscio. I moved this post to this thread as we do not want duplicates. Anybody who can help will see it here. Elk]

I’m trying to connect my PWT with Black Dragon DAC through HDMI port.

No way to make it works.

Also tried changing PWT firmware with all the three available, no results.

Tried to change HDMI cable (Monster 1000 or standard cheap one), either no results

All the other connections work as they should on red book cd.

I sent an email both to psaudio support and audiobyte as well, still waiting for reply.

Is there someone that could help me with some suggestion or that have experiencies with HDMI connection.

I doubt about compatibility, even i read they should.

Of course, at list, a foult could have accour to one unit…is there any chance to check before sending to service for inspection?

thank’s and best regards to all of you

post inserted also on different root

You might want to call PSA on the phone. Emails sometimes seem to fall into black holes.

capiscio said I'm trying to connect my PWT with Black Dragon DAC through HDMI port.

snip

Hi capiscio,

do you still have this BD DAC? And does the I2S connection work now between your PWT and BD?

I am asking because I will get the BD for testing at home the next days. Would like to connect my NPC with the BD via I2S.

Ok, I guess I will be more smart about this in 2-3 days

Regards,

Mario

I spent some time searching for information on the Black Dragon. I was not able to find enough definitive information to decide anything for sure, but I did find that there are some differences in the connector pinout (specifically, the data, LR clock and master clock lines have the phases inverted. Also they add a 5V detection line that PS Audio does not use), and some missing information about clockrates. The operation manual did not say that there were any configuration options in the BD to adapt to the PSA format. From this it appears that as you have discovered experimentally, the Black dragon I2S is not compatible with the PWT I2S.

Dave

I am highly doubtful to any I2s compatibility problems. I am using the Hydra Z with the DS without issues and I think the protocol is identical.

The Hydra Z operators manual describes jumpers that can be set to configure the I2S output to match the PS Audio clock rates and polarities, or to match the standard used in the Black Dragon. I did not see a similar description in the Black Dragon manual, so I would assume it does not have the same adjustability.

I didn’t have to do the LVDS polarity strapping, however I see that there are a few differences (Rockna spec vs PS Audio spec. on the MCLK rates).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/htmlview?pli=1#

Check the tab. I suggest you check with Niculae at Audiobyte or Jesus at Sonore.

Dave P. said I spent some time searching for information on the Black Dragon. I was not able to find enough definitive information to decide anything for sure, but I did find that there are some differences in the connector pinout (specifically, the data, LR clock and master clock lines have the phases inverted. Also they add a 5V detection line that PS Audio does not use), and some missing information about clockrates. The operation manual did not say that there were any configuration options in the BD to adapt to the PSA format. From this it appears that as you have discovered experimentally, the Black dragon I2S is not compatible with the PWT I2S
Update! The Black Dragon is not compatible with my NPC via I2S either but according to the German distributor of Audiobyte it can be made compatible. As far I have understood this happens by deactivating that detection line. It is a service for free for BD customers. (The Hydra Z doesn't have this detection line.)

Listening to the BD/Hydra Z via I2S that was the best I ever have heard at my home. Especially DSD I have enjoyed so much. But… the BD can not replace my Oppo HA-1 as a preamp. Soundwise the BD is a winner but concerning convenience, haptics it can not beat the Oppo. Now I wonder if I should run the BD beside the Oppo or if I better venture the big step to the DS DAC. Decisions, decisions…

Well my DS DAC kills my OPPO 105. it’s not even close. Hope that helps!