Headphone sweet spot?

Head to hifishark.com for a search of what’s around and what they’ve sold for. Black Friday is coming up in the States soon. Sales will be plentiful.

And headfi.com is a great resource. I’ve used it ever since I returned to headphone listening and learned a LOT.

Indeed it is gorgeous and with the 25th Anniversary Mods it’s expensive. . . but just as gorgeous sounding as it looks.

Sennheiser HD800s

To me, my most go to pair is HD 800s - I have Sennheiser HD800, HD700, HD595, HifiMan HE6se, Audeze LCD-X and Mr Speakers Ether 2.

The HD800s is my first choice of my collection. Easy to power and quite comfortable. These are all open backed.

I don’t own a pair but the HD820 is pretty nice, but a little above your price range at around $2300.

I’ve got headphones coming out of my pores.

Earlier this year I bought some Massdrop HiFiMan 4xx for $170, which I thought a steal. Now they have them for $130.

2 Likes

These are a wonderful buy and a superb introduction to planar magnetics.

1 Like

Ok, those look interesting, and a great deal, but are we comparing them with the Focal Clears or Sennheiser HD800s, which cost a dozen times more? (Not that cost is a direct multiplier of quality, but still.)

I do like my $200 Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6XX, but I’m assuming at $1500 i’m going to be in a completely different league.

I don’t hear like that. I hear, I suppose you could call it, “objectively “. That is, I hear things on their own terms.

I have a one-off pair of Grados - I suppose they’re one of the most remarkable pairs of ‘phones Grado ever made. I can mix with them; they’re incredibly revealing without being too bright and everything is right there. I have 2 different Sennheisers and my old Ultrasone 650s. I have a pair of AQ from Joe Harley.

But for just listening to music, I use the HiFiMan 4xx (with a prototype EAR HP-4).

1 Like

Yep, I get that, and that’s why I added “not that cost is a direct multiplier of quality.”

So, not saying one is better or worse than the other, how do they compare? We might choose them objectively, but how might they be subjectively different when we listen? (Blind tasting and all that.)

A Chevy Cruze and a BMW M3 will both get you to the market, but differently.

Yeah, well that money thing is a conundrum, especially with headphones.

An engineer friend has some of those like $1600 Audeze. I like these more.

1 Like

Here’s another point, are you going to invest in quality headphone amp?

If you plan on sticking with the HA that’s included in your integrated, something easy to power would be advised. Audeze LCD-X with the case can be found B-stock (just like new) for around $1000. Audeze LCD-X is a little heavy but it well balanced, so comfort is decent.

These massdrop Focal Elex might be worth a look. You could buy these and a headphone amp within your budget.

I will if necessary.

I see the Audeze LCD-X has an impedance of 22 ohms, but the Focal Clear is 55 Ohms, which is pretty manageable.

Those Massdrop Elex look pretty sweet at $600.

yeah, was looking at those… What I’m reading is that it’s the Elear with the Clear’s micropore earcups. So, a step up from Elear, for less than Elear.

Not bad at all.

1 Like

used Focal Clears just sold on eBay for $820.

Watched but got distracted at the end of the auction, so I didn’t bid.

Was tempted, but I’ll see what happens closer to the holidays.

The Clears have been on sale for $1K a few times, I’d be surprised if they do not go on sale for that price again before the end of the year.

1 Like

Thanks for the HE4XX recommendation. I was considering these and just pulled the trigger because Drop is offering an additional $20 off for new members. Low cost of entry to try my first set of Planars.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Local shop has the Focal range as well as Audeze and Grado.

The Clears sounded great. But the Grado GS2000e sounded amazing. Being able to A/B them was great. Both had a great soundstage and imaging, but the Grados seemed to lift a veil on the trebles.

The Grado foam cushions were less comfortable than the Focal micropore cushions, that’s for sure. When I got back home I tried to hunt down replacement cushions that aren’t foam, but not seeing any.

But I kinda liked the retro cool look/style of the Grados.

Haven’t decided yet, but one could argue for more than one set of headphones, I guess. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Looks like this guy in New Zealand makes Leather/Merino earcups for Grados.

The size, shape, density, etc of earcups are most often integral to the sound of headphones.

1 Like