HELP! Roon Doesn't Detect Bridge II

I finally upgraded my Perfectwave DAC to Directstream with Bridge II. I have been using JRiver to manage my music on a dedicated server and JRemote on my iPAD to stream music to my DAC. I am trying to upgrade my music server to use Roon, but I am unable to stream to Bridge II. Roon doesn’t seem to be detecting Bridge II on my network. Just to be clear, JRiver can see it without any problem and so do other uPNP enabled apps. I have upgraded the DAC to Torreys Final and the Bridge II shows version 0.0.0 with the upgrade option showing N/A.

What am I doing wrong? Is it normal for Roon not to detect Bridge II? If so, how do I stream to my DAC using Roon?

Have you tried power-cycling the DirectStream with the back-panel toggle switch? If not, that would be the first step. Good luck.

Thanks Bootzilla for your tip!

Bootzilla said Have you tried power-cycling the DirectStream with the back-panel toggle switch? If not, that would be the first step. Good luck.
I tried that too... Many times... Still no luck. If I am the only one facing this problem, I must be doing something totally wrong...

What are you seeing in the Audio Setup area of Roon? There are two places to find a device. The Bridge II option is found farther down the Audio Setup screen under the Networked Device selection.

Eric Neff said What are you seeing in the Audio Setup area of Roon? There are two places to find a device. The Bridge II option is found farther down the Audio Setup screen under the Networked Device selection.

It doesn’t show bridge II. MXQ(510) is a KODI player that I use. Not sure why this shows up!!!

On my Roon Audio Setup, the Bridge II shows up under Roon Ready and not under Networked. Network lists other PCs on my network where I have Roon installed and it shows the drivers for the devices attached to those PCs. Roon Ready has my Bridge and other Roon Ready devices on my network. And the AirPlay category is last, with my AirPlay enabled devices. Have you tried restarting your Roon Server or Core? Or have you tried adding the Bridge II via the IP address?

Capture.JPG

Do you have the latest firmware loaded on your Bridge?

Thank you everyone for the help. The problem has been resolved. Here is what I did, in case someone else is facing the same problem:

1. Turned off dynamic IP for the bridge and set it up for static IP. There is an article under “Resources\How To” on this site that can help with doing this.

2. Once I restarted the DAC, I could see the upgrade option for the bridge… something that was N/A previously.

3. I upgraded the bridge. Interestingly, the bridge firmware version was still 0.0.0.

4. Now, Roon can see the DAC under Roon Ready devices as stated by ksalno.

Now, I have another problem… Roon is only playing mp3’s… lossless files (flacs) start and then stop with a message “file is taking too long to load”… I guess that would require some more digging…

smatiana said Now, I have another problem... Roon is only playing mp3's.... lossless files (flacs) start and then stop with a message "file is taking too long to load"... I guess that would require some more digging....
What kind of server are you running Roon Server/Core on? I have a Sonic Transporter i5 and don't have any issues but I once tried installing Roon Server on a QNAP Celeron NAS and had this issue. Roon needs a fair amount of processing power. Are you running anything else on the server like HQPlayer that can gobble up cycles?

I am running Roon Server/Core on my Laptop. Its a Dell machine with Intel core i7 processor, 32GB RAM and a 500GB SS HD. The music files are stored on a 3TB NAS. All networking equipment is Gigabit ready. Also, NAS and the DAC are directly wired to the router, while the laptop is connected via WiFi.

I looked at the cpu/memory usage and it didn’t show any spikes when I try to play lossless flacs. I was using the same setup with Perfectwave DAC/Bridge/JRiver combo while the JRiver server was running on a Windows Server 2011 machine. I am almost tempted to stick with JRiver and forget about Roon altogether. Although the JRiver remote is not as good as PlugPlayer. The reason being that JRiver Remote (and Roon remote for that matter) doesn’t allow me to browse music by folders. I have some albums that are not only available in 44.1/16 version but are also available in 96/24 and/or DSD versions as well. For my main system I use the best available version but for my secondary systems I use 44.1/16 or even mp3 depending upon the capabilities of the rendering equipment.

I may be misunderstanding, but with JRiver when I have two versions of the same album l just add the difference to the title. “Kind Of Blue”, " Kind Of Blue 24/192", that way I can keep them in all in JRiver with LP covers. Would be just as easy to put Mp3 or DSD in the title.

Would that also work in Roon?

smatiana said I am running Roon Server/Core on my Laptop. Its a Dell machine with Intel core i7 processor, 32GB RAM and a 500GB SS HD. The music files are stored on a 3TB NAS. All networking equipment is Gigabit ready. Also, NAS and the DAC are directly wired to the router, while the laptop is connected via WiFi.
That is plenty of processing power, so that shouldn't be an issue. The only other thing could be the WiFi connection for your laptop. The server is reading the file from the NAS and then routing it out to the DAC zone, so that is two times over the WiFi connection and it could be your WiFi isn't up to it for some reason (noise, signal strength, etc). Have you tried putting the laptop on a wired connection to see if that fixes it? The problem seems to be bandwidth related since it plays mp3 but not the larger flac files. You may want to try the Roon forums for more help on this, since I don't think this is a PSA problem.

BTW, I agree with jeffstar. When I have two or more versions of the same album I just add something like (DSD) or (96K) to the album title. Otherwise, JRiver puts all the tracks in the album folder and you have to use bit depth filter to sort them out.

I think I’ll stick with JRiver for now. Roon is nice but does require that my library metadata is up to date. That is extra work…

I do have separate folders for the different versions. Like this:

F:\Music\Daft Punk\Random Access Memory (CD)

F:\Music\Daft Punk\Random Access Memory (mp3)

F:\Music\Daft Punk\Random Access Memory (88/24)

In JRiver application on the server, I can see these folders fine. But JRiver Remote (on iPad) looks at the metadata and shows me three albums with the same names and I don’t know which one is which!!! Am I doing it wrong?