Help us change the world!

[really long quote deleted as unneeded. Elk

And Welcome, Bob!]

“PURE” nothing more…the word alone will provide enough merchandising to prompt a look…for music lovers or NOT!!!

PhilipAC said Great idea Paul.

When roughly do you expect the first disc to be issued?

I hope this summer, late spring.

Maybe the winning entry that is used could win a prize? Like a Bridge 2 to stream the new music into their Directstream Dac?

If you want to change the way music is distributed and artists compensated, so we end up with more great music and incredible recordings , what you need is a complete …

“PARADIGM SHIFT”

Digits

I suggest “Uprising” for your album name, conveys the meaning of what your trying to accomplish and fits with the Cover Art.

Good Luck

PS I love Paul’s Posts and the intelligent comments every day, especially Soundminded!

Andrew

Out Through the In Door (tip of the hat to Led Zep)

Paul McGowan said Thanks Elk!
Paul, as I recall you bought a copy of Jordi Savall's La Folia on the Alia Vox label, click. As I mention above, his recordings are beautifully produced with gorgeous, informative booklets.

Is this the type of presentation you have in mind? Owning these physical recordings is a delight on to itself, even before playing them.

My first thought, reading your post was: ´ he is smashing the gordian knot´. So I suggest to name the album

Smashing the Gordian Knot

Phreetrade Sonic Art

How about “Time Again”?

New member BobB comes on with a great set of suggestions.clapping_gif

Elk said
Paul, as I recall you bought a copy of Jordi Savall's La Folia on the Alia Vox label, click. As I mention above, his recordings are beautifully produced with gorgeous, informative booklets.

Is this the type of presentation you have in mind? Owning these physical recordings is a delight on to itself, even before playing them.

Yes, but perhaps even more over the top. First, this group of recordings, many of them anyway, far exceed the jaw drop test of La Folia, excellent as it is. Secondly, the booklet will be similar in concept and purpose and we will do our best to make the package something very much worth owning as he did.

Exciting!

A Bright, Particular Star

I’d be glad to add to the list of candidates for the album name.

How about “Leaving the Past behind” or “A New World Record”

‘This isn’t your Father’s MP3’, ‘This isn’t your Father’s iPod’, ‘This isn’t your Father’s Pono’

“The Audio Bliss Experiment (or How I Learned to Take the Experience Back)”

Title Ideas:

• An Unconventional Sampling
  • An Unconventional Sampler, Direct from our Heart to Yours
  • Artist to Aficiando, a PS Records Sampler
  • Digitally Direct
You get the idea...

Best of luck!

Hi Paul,

What a great idea! That’s much fair to redistribute the income/revenue to the true owners of the recorded music. I’m very appreciated to what you’re doing. Good job!

If anyone doesn’t know what difficulties the artists & recording studios are facing, the following note may help…

May I quote a conversation which Cookie Marenco write to me about 3 years ago?

" Why does are music cost so much? Very good question.

Technology companies like Apple have taken advantage of the music business with a $0.99 per song price tag. You’ve probably noticed that the quality of recording has been very disappointing in the last 10 years. Unforgivingly bad and unlistenable.

Apple is in the business of selling hardware like iPhones. ITunes does not make money nor do the musicians on iTunes, especially acoustic performers. This is one of the great tragedies of our times.

I made the decision to bootstrap Downloads NOW! when HDtracks would not return my requests to release our music from Blue Coast Records. Perhaps that was the most advantageous event that could have happened. We started Downloads NOW! and solicited music from other musicians and labels that we had recorded.

The business that supports both Blue Coast Records and Downloads NOW! is the work I do as a music producer and studio owner in the San Francisco area. For more than 30 years we have specialized in recording acoustic musicians. This is all a labor of love.

With DSD 40x the size of mp3 and FLAC, the cost of bandwidth is enormous to deliver. There is also a cost for streaming audio to preview songs. Each MicroStore for an album costs $500 to build and additional money per month to host. Outside of the Blue Coast Recordings, very few titles sell more than 20 downloads and most do not have native DSD audio available for sale unless we recorded it.

We are a very small companies of 3 people and volunteers at Downloads NOW! We believe in customer service (as you can see, I’m writing to you now, :) If someone’s computer blows up, we’ll replace their files. If they upgrade to DSD from 44.1, we’ll send new audio figuring out the difference to upgrade. If a customer has a problem with getting their computer to play our audio, we spend hours assisting them troubleshoot problems.

From a business perspective, a download business is much more costly in labor than manufacturing SACD discs where you send it, the players play SACD or not, it works. Our job is to educate our customers and teach them to use their gear, often understanding all the manufacturers issues because we are easier to reach for answers.

50-60% of all sales goes to the musicians who pay between $20,000-40,000 for a good quality recording that warrants DSD audio with us. The production costs for Blue Coast Collection were over $100,000. From our 50% of the price, we pay bandwidth, taxes, licensing, royalties for streaming previews, artist admin, hosting, customer services, marketing, mastering and often cover the recording costs. When there is a sale, we take the discount from our side of the split.

At this point you’re probably thinking that we are crazy… and believe me, I often question my sanity when I see that my retirement fund has been spent taking this risk on a music company. :)

If you are on our mailing list, you probably are aware that we recently had a 20% rebate for several days. Anyone who purchased at that time will see 20% returned to them.

We have quite a bit of improvements we’d like to make on the site like easier download management, automated royalties, new content and effective promotion campaigns. We are testing sale pages at DSD-guide.com and audiogate.bluecoastrecords.com where you can find 50% discounts of DSD audio.

Our customers, like you, are our biggest asset. By telling more people about us through forums, word of mouth, blogs, our community grows and our price can come down. We are looking into ways to reward our customers for this kind of promotion.

Sorry for the long note. Perhaps it will be the basis of my next article for Positive-Feedback. :) "

Anyway Paul, I’ve a album title name for you to consider, how about…

“PS: That’s What We Call Audiophile Music !”

Good Luck! Hope you have a great success on this great project!

Peter Ip

A few thoughts here.

First, wonderful idea Paul, I hope that it works out but I suspect that you will have to make some small adjustments to the revenue distribution. Artists and production should get all that is possible but PS Records may need a slightly larger cut to break even as they must for this venture to work.

Album title ideas:

This is Our Music

This is Our World

Welcome to Our World

The Artist Must Survive

Artist Über Alles

J.P.