Here's the correct way of measuring a Power Plant

I am told he’s now trying to prove power cables make no difference by actually powering up the AP with a high end power cable to show it works the same.

This is beyond my comprehension of how someone as obviously as smart as he is could possibly dream up that methodology. Me thinks maybe he didn’t actually do that or perhaps an April Fools joke?

Tell me it isn’t true.

Paul McGowan | CEO800-PSAUDIO
Boulder, Colorado

7 Likes

I was taught in both Mechanical Engineering and Economics that we should always be aware that we don’t know what we don’t know.
I think he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.

5 Likes

His measurements of the magnepan LRS was an even bigger joke, he measured them at 1 meter. He also pretty much said listening to just one speaker gave him a pretty good idea of the imaging capabilities.

3 Likes

@wobblewobble You can educate yourself from the largest, most respected cable company in the world, the Defacto Standard in cable production. Belden. Do power cables really matter? The simple answer is, “yes!” See below;

2 Likes

Thanks, Glimme. I see the logic better now though it still makes no sense in the practical.

We have the same equipment. Not sure how many people actually know the AP products but for those that have them or use them I’ll try and make some sense of this.

The AP is agnostic to its power cable with respect to shielding and noise. It reaches its numbers with or without a shielded power cable. I can use an off the shelf POS lamp cord plug and get the same results as guaranteed by AP. The noise floor of the device is not a function of the incoming AC. That’s built into the design.

Not surer what this possibly has to do with a power cord making an audible difference on, say, a power amp.

It’s a shame that this group’s clear and obvious mission is to prove what they believe is not true—and then wrapping it in a cloak of science.

Approaching something with a strong bias is not science.

A true scientist approaches the subject with an open mind (or at least is open minded enough to change their views once shown evidence to the contrary). The only person on this forum that comes to mind (including myself as I am not a scientist) is Belden’s former chief engineer, Galen Gareis. If this crowd really was interested in the “measured truth” they’d team up with him and maybe help further our community’s understanding.

But, that’s clearly not in their self interest. Not when you’re on a mission to prove yourself right.

It’s like the Crusades.

For me, I simply seek the truth behind what works for the projects and mission I am personally on.

That’s enough for one lifetime.

11 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Is there a way to measure a fuse why it can make a change on how a system sounds?

I have deleted a good number of recent off-topic posts, as well as post consisting of bickering.

Yes, the thread could be shut down, but the topic of Power Plants, power supplies, power cords is perfectly appropriate.

Please be civil, make an honest attempt to understand each other, and respectfully discuss the topic.

Thank you!

1 Like

Het waymanchen…

This could very well be a new topic starter…
just my .02

Best wishes

Excellent idea. Done.

Thanks, Elk. Much appreciated. If comments or views are mean spirited or in anger they are to be deleted. There’s no place for it on this forum.

3 Likes

Or put another way, ‘half of being smart is knowing what you’re dumb at’ :^ )

5 Likes

My view is that Muliwave is implemented in wrong way.

By turning on multiwave the output is a “fatter” wave, but the RMS value is keep constant.

The correct implementation should be that peak of the wave is kept constant. With RMS constant the peak of the wave will be reduced i.e. running equipment undervolted.

1 Like

OK, but where are the ADCs and what is powering them? I am not familiar with that AP model but I would hope the ADCs and analog input stages are in a 100% shielded can? with a -160db noise floor they almost have to be and the analog power rails damn quiet…

The noise floor of the test gear must be significantly below your measurement threshold or those measurements are no good.

1 Like

Yes, you’re absolutely right. Inside the AP there’s tons of covers and cans to keep everything quiet. That’s all handled internally and thus it makes no difference what you feed it (within reason).

Amir’s test was just silliness.

2 Likes

Amir’s “tests” are often ( unintentionally) comical.
He compared what he called “premium” speaker cables to some “30 or 40 year old” lamp cord he claimed that he found in his attic. He installed the cheapest connectors he could find on this lamp cord and of course, the lamp cord was every bit as good as what he called “Premium” cable.
BTW, his Premium speaker cable cost $149.

1 Like

Agreed…

However Amir’s tests strongly influence his “disciples” and casual
readers looking for information regarding PS Audio products
in particular power plant regenerators…

Amir casts a negative shadow on PS Audio power plants, DS dac
who knows what else…

These tests Amir conducts with his pontifical conclusions could
adversely affect your market Paul…I hope the potential buyers
will not yield to Amir’s assessment of PS Audio’s products.

Truly wish you the best Paul…I believe in your engineering,
products and top flight customer service…

May PS Audio be vindicated soundly!!!

Best wishes

1 Like

…and owner’s resale value.

3 Likes

I’ve sold a few power regenerators and I’ve never had someone tell me they were influenced by ASR. His disciples will stay in their comfort zone and people can make up their minds. Possibly by…… listening!

4 Likes

OK but then putting a “high end” power cord on a DAC or other low current source device is in the same boat. If a test instrument capable of measuring down to -160db or more can retain it’s specifications with a commodity power cord, why would it matter on a DAC or other source device?

1 Like

Well what did his measurements show? How were the tests executed? Do you have a link to the video? I guess I can find it on his channel. I want to see that before I make any judgements.