Here's the correct way of measuring a Power Plant

I actually watched Amir video because of this one. I didn’t think this video addresses some of the issues Amir pointed out in his video. Things like the HC output high impedance, the thermistor controlled response and actual music signal. None of that was addressed in this video.

I have the P15 and now question if the HC outlet is actually not working because the thermistor controlled logic never get activated. Response to this is important for customer confidence.

Thanks

7 Likes

Thanks. We weren’t trying to answer the barbs as you put them because most of them were silly in that they missed the point of the Power Plant. They weren’t “incorrect” per se they were just misleading and negative in a way that doesn’t help the community. Amir seems to be a bit of a sour puss for any products he doesn’t like or that aren’t carried in his store in Bellevue, Madrona Digital. If you have a look you can see what he likes (Harman products are a favorite). Goodness if you don’t agree with him.

My hope is that he becomes a productive member of the community rather than a thorn in its side. I prefer to let him go off on his own and serve his customers who mostly seem interested in the drama rather than discovering something useful about a product. I don’t want to spend any energy on the site. However, when our products are misrepresented it’s probably a good idea to come around and straighten out the facts. But, we’re not going to engage with ASR on a point by point basis.

19 Likes

Hi Paul

I don’t think any of us expect for you to respond to Amir, but in this case there are a few concerning data points that he discovered. The most concerning to me is the HC outlets high impedance, and that there is a thermistor controlled circuit to eventually enable the low impedance mode for HC outlets. However because we listen to music and not test signals, music do not draw continuous current and the issue is won’t heat up enough to activate this circuit, leading to anything connected to the HC circuit permanently handicapped with high impedance. Impedance much higher than the wall outlet, as much as 10x, defeating the point of the power plant. Can you please speak to this?

Thanks

8 Likes

My question from a previous thread:
How does the P20 distinguish the difference between an in rush current at turn on and huge musically triggered demand from the power amp?

Paul’s answer:
Because the in rush only takes place on turn on if you’re using the Power Plant to turn on your unit.

My response:
That is what I thought.
However the owners manual does not mention anything about the proper use of the high current outputs.
I suggest adding this to the manual.

3 Likes

@Paul Satisfied Stellar Powerplant 3 customer here…

The video was good for initial rebuttal, it would carry more weight if a pair of oscilloscopes were used on the PowerPlant’s input & output rather than the products internal panel scope. It would be more powerful to witness noise and signal quality with external measurement devices, and perhaps inject noise or other issues into the AC input to watch the Regenerator operate.

Good to see modes HC/Regen/none and the differences. It is what it is.

5 Likes

My thoughts as well, the demo showed clearly the capability of lowering source impedance, but surely a Nicolet or Tektronix 'scope, or a budget Fluke, can be had in the shop to better show output waveforms. To get even more interesting than add PS A’s favorite power cord as an input to the P12/15/20 with impedance and o’scope readings. Again I believe it will serve the community’s curiosity.

2 Likes

ASR’s comparison with a BK Precision 9801 Lab AC generator comparison is pretty damning as presented. Technically both are AC generators.

PSaudio could perhaps measure the audio quality output of an amp with/without a regenerator.

4 Likes

Geez! I am in the market for a power conditioner and was contemplating between the P20 and the Niagara 5000 / 7000 (I have a 20A dedicated outlet & live in a suburban setting. Shunyata is out of reckoning as it offers no protection).

Now I read about this ASR thing and am not sure what to make of it. He mentions that the high current outlets have higher impedance and that (1) other outlets don’t filter noise significantly, and (2) most good hifi devices have noise filtration inbuilt.

I hope @Paul (whose videos I cannot get enough of - thanks Paul! BTW: loved the Octave Records album I bought a few weeks ago! :slight_smile: ) addresses this issue satisfactorily (rather than avoiding it). I hope one can empathize the mild consternation & confusion that a non-technical potential buyer such as I faces in such a situation.

1 Like

Perhaps I’m the odd one out, but I always just measured by listening. Does anything else really matter?

6 Likes

Spot on. All Amir wants is to sow the seeds of doubt.
Paul is right not to stoop to his low level and become a defensive puppet who jumps whenever ASR says jump!
The proof of PSA’s designs are in the real world listening that so many have reported here.

1 Like

Welcome reg19. With all that admiration for PSA, surprised it took you so long to post here!

Niagara 1200 has been tested by ASR, if that helps.

However ASR is intimating fraud by PS Audio. Silence on reviews like this is tantamount to admission of the results.

Good to remind people ASR is the same website that ranked DSD Sr. 10th from the bottom in 75? DAC reviews. Does anyone really think the any Toppings or Schiit Audio DAC is many times better than the DSD?

2 Likes

You make a good point, or 2.

@Paul If I was your crisis PR manager consider the following:

1. Realworld test results under load on PS Audio tech bench
  2. Same bench test at the nastiest AC plug you can find. Go to a gritty noisy machine shop and test again.
  3. Links to favorable reviews (which are many)
  4. And… Test our 30-day money back satisfaction trail and judge for yourself! For the next 45 days PS audio is offering free return shipping…

I don’t agree with you on these points. Silence, as I see it, is not giving this guy what he most wants, which is attention and thereby, legitimacy.
I’d bet good money that his opinion of the DSD did little to nothing to sales.

8 Likes

Yes, but no one around me has a PS Audio Powerplant for me to test in their home. And I don’t feel it is fair for me to order one to find out in my home - just because PS Audio has a generous return policy (I’m sure there’s a bit of a loss for PS Audio there & it would come because of me).

I refuse to believe without any proof that (1) Amir has nasty intentions, or (2) Paul’s intentions are anything but trying to ensure that his customers get great value for their money. It is possible that both think they are right in their own way. However, non-technical people like me cannot judge. I do, understand, though, that all this affects the bottom line of only one of those two - and I sincerely empathize with that. This is why I’m hoping that Paul addresses this head-on. Especially as the engineer who designed the product is still at PS Audio.

I love all this name-calling by people like WATChad. Most admirers of a product don’t go out and post on the company forum, or any forum. I used the forum to read and learn more about HiFi products (I started building my rig after I was stuck at home with Covid 2 years ago).

FWIW: I recently sold my McIntosh C2600 tube amp so I can then buy the BHK preamplifier. I just need to sell my McIntosh MC402 power amp before that (as it has, perhaps, too low an input impedance to be a good match with the BHK preamp).

Lastly: yes, I’m in the camp that measurements are necessary but not sufficient indicator of what I’ll hear (primarily, because, perhaps, we still don’t have the complete set of necessary measurements). However, here, it seems that one party is insinuating that the other did not measure the right thing (which is different).

1 Like

Absolutely not, can’t let this float around without a response. @Paul does not have to mention ASR and I would not ever refer to the website or review. He does need to put out videos of the product working via YouTube and elsewhere showing it’s performance and testimonials. It’s just good marking on any count, Plus people will see a counter point when they look for one.

My late mother used to say “No reply is the best reply!”

3 Likes

I couldn’t disagree more.

The hard-core ASR crowd does not engage in good faith very often, IMO.

2 Likes