Hi-Fi+ Review

The July issue of the UK-based audio magazine Hi-Fi+ (sister publication to The Absolute Sound) includes a very positive review of the DS DAC and the Pikes Peak OS. The reviewer, Chris Martens, also used the PerfectWave Transport, in part, when he put the DS DAC through its paces.

He states: “The DirectStream DAC is one of the most analogue-like digital audio products I’ve yet heard. By this I mean its sound reminds me of a very high-quality analogue reel-to-reel tape deck, but of course without any tape hiss at all.”

He concludes: “PS Audio’s DirectStream DAC turns the established order of things in the PCM-centric digital audio world upside down and it sounds all the better for it. I have greatly enjoyed my time with the DirectStream DAC, in no small part because it has demonstrated the sonic benefits of a fundamentally different – and perhaps fundamentally superior – method of playing both PCM and DSD digital audio files. For this reason alone I would encourage readers considering DACs in this price range to give the DirectStream DAC a very careful listen. If your reactions are anything like mine, you may find yourself won over by the fresh musical insights this DAC makes possible, even on recordings you once thought you knew well.”

Mr. Martens ran the DAC straight into his monoblocs and from what I gather, played both discs of all types and also digital files. Although he mentions the Bridge, I’m not sure he used that method of input.

Yay!

great that little elves at PSA can make so many smile.

hi Ted

Gordon, that avatar is awesome!! Funniest thing I’ve seen in a long while!!

I find G’s avatar to be a bit disturbing somehow. The robes could be uniforms and they could be preparing to attack.

I’ve had the pic for a long time.

hehehe I just could not “resist” using it finally.

“resistance” is futile if < than 1-OHM.

58LhizK.jpg

gordon said I've had the pic for a long time.

hehehe I just could not “resist” using it finally.

“resistance” is futile if < than 1-OHM.

Oh my Gordon. I knew you were BORG. I just knew it.

Hi, All–

Regarding Chris Martens’ very positive review on HiFi±- Chris is keeping the DirectStream and Memory Player on hand for use as long-term references. Obviously. we’re pleased by Chris’ review, and we look forward to more comments from him in the future.

Cheers, Bill

Excellent. A great development.

Yep. And Gordon has definitely been absorbed into the collective.

stevem2 said Yep. And Gordon has definitely been absorbed into the collective.
That sounds rather ominous. Keep picturing these Borg type-folk. Luckily not the case here.

And waiting for the final Yale version. Maybe “around noon” meant Mountain time?

Did I mention I’m anxious to hear it?

It’s here!

See, this thread.

Mr. Martens ran the DAC straight into his monoblocs and from what I gather, played both discs of all types and also digital files. Although he mentions the Bridge, I'm not sure he used that method of input.
What monos did he use? I'm going to take my preamp out of the signal path this week end and try running the DS directly into the BHK monos. Just curious....
edorr said
Mr. Martens ran the DAC straight into his monoblocs and from what I gather, played both discs of all types and also digital files. Although he mentions the Bridge, I'm not sure he used that method of input.

What monos did he use? I’m going to take my preamp out of the signal path this week end and try running the DS directly into the BHK monos. Just curious…

I have a Rowland Synergy preamp gathering dust in the basement. I’m running my DS directly into my BHK monoblocks and have no desire to reinsert the Synergy into the signal chain.

edorr said

What monos did he use? I’m going to take my preamp out of the signal path this week end and try running the DS directly into the BHK monos. Just curious…

Sorry, don’t know. All he says in the review is “directly into my reference monoblocks” and then doesn’t mention them again. Unlike Stereophile, for example, the review system is not listed. I’m currently running the DS DAC directly into my integrated through it’s external processor loop and prefer it that way by a small margin.

I went preamp less for a while and then found significant benefits from inserting the arc ref 5se. When I moved to spectral I needed to use their preamp. Now that the spectral amps have been replaced with BHK 300, I will try taking out the pre again. If it sounds better, I’ll wait for the ps audio preamp to hit the shelves and try that again. Going around in circles.

Edorr, I’m assuming that immediately after writing your response above you compared no preamp to using a preamp. I say this since in the Preamp vs. Direct topic your wrote about three hours later that the preamp is staying in. If I got it wrong, please explain. I’m going direct since I thought it sounded better than using my Audio Research LS-25 Mk II. My preamp was no slouch, but it appears a state of the art preamp is an improvement.

You are correct. I did the expiriment and reported on the preamp thread. Preamp rules. I used lesser preamps in the past and found only absolutely top notch hardware will be an improvement over going direct.