Hi Guys from Scotland in the UK

Elk said

U.S. residents are geography deficient.

Now there’s a tangent we could go off on and upset a lot of people!

Elk, I will say you sure are one fascinating guy!

My life has not been boring . . . :slight_smile:

Lucky (?) guy! 4_gif

badbeef said

Gazjam - go bitch-slap your dealer.

And BTW, love the fact that you figure we might not know where Glasgow, or Scotland, for that matter, is. : )

Glasgow...where we all speak like this.

Well…
Almost coming to a (frustrating) end of failed attempts to get a working dac.

Have tried all the forum suggestions, various firmware seem to load but still stuck on “Initializing” screen.
Left the dac in this state for an hour…no change.

Dac came with an 8GB blank SD card, last thing I’m trying is to partition the SD card with a 4GB partition and format as FAT, not FAT32.
Understand I’m in the minority here guys with this issue, but not gaining much confidence, looking more like an RMA to my dealer.

EDIT
Tried formatting FAT, FAT32, different partition sizes on my 8GB card…nothing worked.
Had Bridge II sent separately, installed that wondering if it might nudge the Dac to work, unfortunately not.
Still faced with the dreaded Initializing screen…

Any last advice guys before returning Unit to Dealer for replacement?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Yikes. That just shouldn’t happen. I apologize and of course we’ll make it right. Though, it should have been easy. Unfortunately the staff’s gone until Tuesday - but I’ll make sure they’re on it.

Hi Paul,

Totally understand and really appreciate you saying that.
Unfortunate timing due to time of year, but hey…nobody’s lost a leg.

My Dealers been great and is looking at things at his end too.

Confident it’ll be sorted, happy to be part of the PS Audio gang. :slight_smile:
Dac for life, as they say.

Thanks

Gary.

HI gazjam,

We are so very sorry to hear that you are having this issue with the DAC.

Clearly there is an issue with the display and it requires service.

If you would, please reach out to us at service@psaudio.com

We’ll just need your unit’s serial number and your shipping address.

This way we can direct you to the correct distributor for service to have your display replaced.

Thanks in advance,

• Jeremy

Just to round off this Thread,

Contacted my dealer who has been great in organizing a replacement unit with Bridge II and Redcloud pre-installed through the UK distributor.
A bit more time without my music (well, can play through my TV meantime) but confident it’ll be resolved.

Should be hearing from Dealer this week.

I am sure you will. Kevin, our distributor, is a great guy.

New Directstream unit arriving tomorrow with Redcloud pre-loaded and Bridge II fitted.
Colour me excited!

First thoughts mate?!

Frustratingly…

I havent listened to it “properly” yet as one of the 300B tubes on my power amp died and Im waiting for replacement valves. No music through the main system for now, just streaming through my TV speakers. Now ideal, but hey.

What I DID do though was bring through my set of active PC speakers and plugged the dac into that. Even through a less than ideal speaker/amp setup I can tell this is an extremely musical dac. Resolution Ive not heard before, I’m hearing things ive not heard before in recordings Ive known for years.

Decided not to torment myself though and disconnected it all after a few hours.

I’ve left the Dac streaming from Roon 24/7 to run it in. When the big rigs up and running again shoukd be quite a moment hearing the Directstream properly for the first time.

Cant wait.

An expensive tube to lose. :frowning:

What amp and what type of 300B? Are you going for a straight replacement or is this a good excuse to upgrade?

That’s unfortunate Gazjam! I hate the waiting game for new audio toys. Just painful. Then again, I’m not the patient sort, so it may be worse for me than most…

BTW, did you hear that Western Electric is back in business and will be producing the 300B tubes in addition to a re-issue of their classic amp, the 91A, and call it the “91C Metropolis”. I think they should have tubes ready by September, hopefully. We can only hope the quality of the new 300B tubes approximates the originals.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/01/21/western-electric-announce-300b-to-re-enter-production-launch-of-new-amplifier/

I hope they actually do it this time. They have been claiming this for years. It would be good to have another current production 300B on the market.

Thanks Guys, its frustrating but ok nowing the Directstreams bubbling away in the background, and will be well on the way to being burned in when the systems up and running again.

It was a set of the new Elrog 300B tubes…The kind you dont want to fail. Oh dear!

Replacing them with KR Audio 300Bs, as the WE’s are rarer than rocking horse s*&t I went for these. The ones I wanted were just out of my league budget wise, and you have to draw the line somewhere, the Takatsuki’s from Japan.

Will look with interest when the new Western Electrics are released, thanks for the heads up!

Its a power amp I have, into my Densen DM20 Pre. A bespoke build to my spec from one of our British valve gurus here in the UK. Attention paid where it matters: Serious ironwork, overspecced DHT heater supply as well as (interestingly) solid state regulation.

Or as the designer put it, He wanted to see what happened if he wrapped solid state round the 300B. Looks nice with the copper top too.

20160930_184822_zpsv82ulzpl.jpg

Stunning work. I’ll bet it sounds as nice as it looks. That’s a pretty serious TT in the background too! Is that a Mitchell?

Thanks man, yeah sounds pretty great.

Its a Michell yeah, good spot! Michell Orbe with SME V arm and Dynavector XX2 MC cartridge. Actually got my Directstream on the same reasoning I got the turntable setup…

Was fed up box swapping and sidegrading, wanted to get off the upgrade ladder and enjoy the music.

Good for you! I know the table 'cause I’ve lusted over it in my local shop. Beautifully crafted and sounds wonderful. And with an SME V arm! Very nice. Between the table, the amp, and the new DS DAC, you are a lucky, lucky man!