I'm having trouble installing the new firmware update

I’ve never been able to unzip the download files so I’m without the upgrade for a while but I have to add. . . I have been running my DirectStream directly into my Decware Torii Mk III tube amp and the sound is amazing. The Mk III is not a “warm” amp but a very natural sounding one with great imaging and tonal balance, and the DirectStream directly in is a hair better than running it into the Decware CSP2+ preamp. And that preamp is no slouch!

@lonson

You just use standard programs like WinZip, WinRar or 7zip to unzip.

You should really give the 1.2.1 a try, no doubt about it!

I will when I can. I don’t have Windows, I have a Mac laptop that’s it and I’m just no good at this sort of thing. At all. I don’t like playing around with computers, don’t like mixing computers and audio at all, my one big gripe with the PS Audio DACs is this sort of mixing.

In time someone will help me get the firmware. In the meantime I’m really enjoying. 1.19.1.

@Ionson

You can buy a usb cardreader for 10$ and put the contents of the download on the sd card.

then follow the instructions Paul gave us.

it is worth the 10$!

Hello, I just tried to install the new firmware, but instead of 30 seconds, the power led is blinking now for more than 15 minutes and the DAC does not reboot.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Frank

If you’re on a Mac all you do is click on the download tab… it’s super simple the is no un-zipping involved.

Just go to the PS Audio home page. At the top click support, then go to downloads. Once there you’ll see a bunch of red folders, at the bottom of the page you’ll see the one marked Directstream 1.2.1 click on it. It will automatically download to the downloads folder on your Mac Book. Then just turn off your DS, remove the SD card from the back. Insert the SD card into your Mac Book, open the SD card and delete the files that are there. Then just open the folder that you just downloaded from PSA… Copy and Paste the new files that you find in the folder to the SD card, install the SD card into the back of the DS and turn it back on… the new software will self install… It really is chimp simple… :-)

this is exactly what I did, downloading from my mac. But on the DAC it seems in an infinite loop …?

Make sure that you have completely deleted the old files from the SD card… Sometimes you need to empty the trash for the files to really be off the SD card. Make sure that you are not copying the whole folder to the SD card just the files in the folder. If you’ve done this try it again. Sometimes the files can get corrupted… Also it can help to cold boot the Dac… pull the power cord let it sit a minute, then put card in, attach power cord, switch power on the back.etc

I just tried all what you suggested, even re-downloaded the files from the PSA site.

Tried cold boot several times, tried 2 different SD cards, but no change.

I will let the DAC inits loop for some hours (going to bed as it is 23.33 in Belgium)

hopefully the morning brings some inspiration…

Make sure the SD card is max 2GB in size and formatted FAT16 (FAT32 will also work).

FAT32 doesn’t work reliably, the code only expects FAT16.

I can’t recall exactly, but I think one member expressed some concerns about that the type of SD card also matters.

Frode said
Ted Smith said FAT32 doesn't work reliably, the code only expects FAT16.

I can’t recall exactly, but I think one member expressed some concerns about that the type of SD card also matters.

You are correct - I forget the exact details: I think the report was that very high quality (fast) SD cards are a problem - but I could be wrong on that point.

Ted,

Great since Mac only reformats in FAT32. Paul have you experienced any issues using your Mac to format and use?

So far I have never had any issues with FAT32 after reformatting my SD cards and updating 2 P10’s, PWT, PW DAC XML I and II, and the DS.

At least I think I haven’t. If it works it’s loaded right without corrupted files, right?

Geez another thing to be audiophile psychotic over. LOL.

Odd

oddeophile said

Ted,

Great since Mac only reformats in FAT32. Paul have you experienced any issues using your Mac to format and use?

So far I have never had any issues with FAT32 after reformatting my SD cards and updating 2 P10’s, PWT, PW DAC XML I and II, and the DS.

At least I think I haven’t. If it works it’s loaded right without corrupted files, right?

Geez another thing to be audiophile psychotic over. LOL.

Odd

Just pure speculation here but I think that’s why there’s so much concern about cleaning off the card and using a fresh format, etc. If the card doesn’t use FAT32 features then it may look enough like FAT16 to work with code that only expects FAT16.

Well, I’m a clutz. I got it unzipped, added it to the emptied out card, put the card in, cycled it back on. . . and no blinking LED, just normal initiation and I can’t hear much of a diffrence in sound. I obviously don’t do these things right. I’m just giving up for now.

lonson said Well, I'm a clutz. I got it unzipped, added it to the emptied out card, put the card in, cycled it back on. . . and no blinking LED, just normal initiation and I can't hear much of a diffrence in sound. I obviously don't do these things right. I'm just giving up for now.
That to me sounds like your DS hasn't seen the new firmware on the SD card and has booted with the previous good firmware instal. I don't think you can brick a DS with a failed firmware update (Ted?). I use a Mac and the 2GB card (re-formatted from FAT16 to FAT32) that came with the DS, no issues at all.

i don’t know what happened. I’m going to purchase a card with the firmware loaded from PS Audio (got an email response back today) and that will probably take care of that. Thanks.

lonson said Well, I'm a clutz. I got it unzipped, added it to the emptied out card, put the card in, cycled it back on. . . and no blinking LED, just normal initiation and I can't hear much of a diffrence in sound. I obviously don't do these things right. I'm just giving up for now.
One thing Paul never mentioned (that you might already know) was to put the SD card in the Directstream with the gold pins pointing up. Might be that simple, also you might want to try reinstalling a fresh download of the firmware onto your SD card, just incase it got corrupted the first time.

I did insert it contacts up, I did repeat the process. No dice. I’ve a call into Mayoura for a card to be mailed and will have it updated soon I’m sure. Thanks.