High End Network Tuning

I use Zero Surge units on all my computer stuff… I’m not sure if they improve sound quality but they sure as hell aren’t gonna get zapped!

http://www.zerosurge.com

Which is great as long as it’s computer stuff. Stay away from these products for audio. They really limit the sound quality to an amazing degree. The way they work is by inserting a huge, slow inductor with many turns in the AC power line path. This has the advantage of slowing down any transient long enough for a solid state switch to engage and disconnect the line. It’s pretty bulletproof for computers or whatever is attached.

I wouldn’t want to ruin the way my stuff sounds using one however.

Nas, router, modem, printer, iMac, tv, blu ray… Audio gear is hooked up to shunyata

Does anyone know if getting a better PSU for the network switches we use will have a better sound when using the network.
Al

It will if you THINK it will! >:)

J.P.
alrainbow said: Does anyone know if getting a better PSU for the network switches we use will have a better sound when using the network.

I put in a linear PSU for my Apple Airport Extreme and thought that it did improve the sound -- not the biggest bang for the buck, though.

Lets come back to the original issue … :slight_smile:

Today I bought the Synology 213air, connected it with a cat7 patch cable to the Bridge directly.

Bridge is showing me “connected”. I put the Wifi function of the NAS on and connected my ipad without problems to the NAS. DS audio detect the NAS music folder :slight_smile: but not the Bridge. :frowning:

So what could be the problem ?

The NAS with Gigabit Ethernet supports auto mdix but does the Bridge also support auto mdix ??

Any other idea ?

Ok thanks . All my audio and video is through P10/5 so I guess I done for not

And the two giga sws have power cords so I couldn’t change them anyway

Al

Can the iPad see the Bridge? If you enter the Bridge’s IP address into a browser on the iPad do you get the Bridge webpage? Just wondering if the NAS sees the Bridge and if you can see it through the NAS?

J.P.

chris said: Bridge is showing me "connected". I put the Wifi function of the NAS on and connected my ipad without problems to the NAS. DS audio detect the NAS music folder :) but not the Bridge. :(

So what could be the problem ?

For UPnP to work all devices must be located in the same broadcast (actually, multicast) domain. In other words, they must belong to the same network, with the same mask.

Please post the network address (and mask) that is used between the Bridge and the NAS and the one between the NAS and the iPad.

As I said, yo must be able to configure the NAS as a network bridge (do not confuse with the PSA Bridge!) between Ethernet and WiFi. I do not think that the NAS can be configured like that. A WiFi access point can do that. A possible solution is to connect the NAS and the Bridge to your WiFi router.

If you connect like that it’s through a networks switch. Same as most every one else.

Al

Yes, and it works :wink:

@alekz: One unit less in the chain, no need for a “highend” router with custom power supply, one ethernet cable less = potential for better sound. But I know, you don’t believe in that :wink:

@ALRAINBOW So you prefer plastic connections for your Ethernet cables rather then metal connections such as the Audioquest metal connections? Which would conduct more? Hmmm…

My hook up: From my computer in my back bedroom, into an Apple Airport Extreme wireless. (Gen 6) going to an Apple Express used as a extender into my audio system, to PWD using Audioquest Vodka Ethernet cable. Works great!

bene said:One unit less in the chain, no need for a "highend" router with custom power supply, one ethernet cable less = potential for better sound. But I know, you don't believe in that

I do not believe that the NAS supports bridging, hence I do not believe that this setup is going to work without an additional switch or a wifi router ;)

It would work perfectly with Logitech/SlimServer (LMS), because it supports web-interface, however LMS does not work with the Bridge (it can play only mp3 files).

Just in case, this how to configure ethernet/wifi bridging on Linux. You can try to do that on your NAS:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1290067

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/howto-bridge-wireless-and-wired-network-interfaces-369455/

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8172

http://superuser.com/questions/521607/network-bridging-for-wifi-to-ethernet-in-linux

Alekz said: I do not believe that the NAS supports bridging

Actually, I've just checked some info on the DS213air - it might work. Is the NAS configured as the Access Point?

Alekz, that is what I also thought about. If the NAS can be configured as the Access Point, then the ipad or any other “controller” could possibly be connected to the NAS - working as the “new router” - too. But I do not know anything about networks :slight_smile:

Can the iPad see the Bridge? If you enter the Bridge's IP address into a browser on the iPad do you get the Bridge webpage? Just wondering if the NAS sees the Bridge and if you can see it through the NAS?

J.P.

Yes, iPad can see the bridge.

Alekz my networkadress of the pwd:

static ip adress: 192.168.178.40
sub ip adress: 255.255.255.0
Gate Way: 192.168.178.1
dns1: 192.168.178.1
dns2:192.168.178.1

Networkconfiguration LAN of the 213air:

DNS: 192.168.178.1
Standard Gateway: 192.168.178.1
IP Adress: 192.168.178.41
sub adress: 255.255.255.0

Networkconfiguration Wifi of the 213air

ip Adress: 10.1.14.1
Subadress: 255.255.255.1

Yes ( I think) its configured as a Access Point.

Thanks

@chris The Bridge and the iPad are located in two different networks: 192.168.178.0/24 (Bridge-NAS) and 10.1.14.0/24 (iPad-NAS). To make it work it must be one network either 192.168.178.0/24 or 10.1.14.0/24 on both sides of the NAS.

Probably you can configure the WiFi net and DHCP to use the same IP network as the Bridge - 192.168.178.0/24. Are you using DHCP on the Bridge side, or the PWD/Bridge IP is statically configured?

Just in case: /24 is another notation for 255.255.255.0.